Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Jennifer's 50 in 2010 - FINISHED

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments Okay here is what I have so far. Not bad for only being March.

1.The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan
2. Witch and Wizard by James Pattersn
3. The Feast of Roses by Indu Sundaresan
4. Tru Blue by David Baladacci
5. Fat Bald Jeff by Leslie Stella
6. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
7. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
8. The Surgeion by Tess Gerritson
9. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
10. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 11. The Sinner by Tess Gerritson

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 12. The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder by Rebecca Wells.

3 stars. I didn't like this book nearly as much as the Ya Ya series. Had a hard time getting into it and never really did. Luckily it was a pretty short read.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 13. There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens, and Big Trouble by Laurie Notaro

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 14. Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) - Stepanie Meyer
**** I really ended up liking the whole series which is hard for me to say since I resisted reading it for so long.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Jennifer wrote: "14. Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) - Stepanie Meyer
**** I really ended up liking the whole series which is hard for me to say since I resisted reading it for so long."

LOL - I just read Twilight and did enjoy it even though there were some spots that were pretty sappy and silly, but overall I enjoyed the read. I too resisted for a couple of years and swore I wouldn't read it.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments Connie - I probably still wouldn't have read it but my mom got into the books and she passed them along to me. They are all a little sappy and silly but like I said, I ended up enjoying them.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 15. Motherhood the Second Oldest Profession by Erma Bombeck ***

16. The Survivor's Club by Lisa Gardner ***

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 17. The Shop On Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber
I thought this was a cute story. The book was given to me by an older lady that I work with and since I don't knit I didn't know if I would be interested. The story of the four women is cute and it doesn't get tecnical on the knitting references.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 18. The Cage of Starts by Jacquelyn Mitchard
I'm not sure I can really say if I liked or didn't like this book. It was engaging and I kept reading it, but once I finished I wasn't satisfied. It almost feels like there are two stories going on at once and by the end they didn't go together very well anymore.

I read the book fairly quickly and it was entertaining just not a great read.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 19. Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow
This isn't a book I would have normally read but it is from an author that my husband really likes. I can't say that I really liked this book. It had a good story but it seemed like it was dragged out forever. This book is 420 pages but the story could have been told just as well in about 250. I figured out the ending about 100 pages before the end so it was frustrating to keep reading when I already knew what was going to happen.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 20. Jemima J by Jane Green ***
Jemima J A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans by Jane Green

21. Inspired to Lead by Christopher Novak

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 22. Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers *****
A Lineage of Grace

Although this is five stories, I am only counting it as one book. I really enjoyed each of the stories.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 23. Eggbert's Advice for the love born ***
Eggbert's advice to the love-born

Funny little book of cartoons from the early 1960's written from a baby's point of view in the womb. One of my senior citizens at work gave it to me to read since we are trying to have a baby. Some of the comics would not be very politically correct today.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 24. Wyoming Brides by Debbie Macomber ***
Wyoming Brides Denim and Diamonds\The Wyoming Kid by Debbie Macomber

Pretty typical romance stories. Easy entertaining read.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 25. Mother Teresa In My Own Words by Jose Luis Gonzalez-Balado *****
Mother Teresa in My Own Words by José Luis Gonzales-Balado
Very Inspirational
Makes me want to read more about her life and work.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments Yeah!! Just realized I made it halfway. Not doing too bad, I think I might be able to finish by the end of the year.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 26. U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton
U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone Mystery) by Sue Grafton
I've been a fan of this series since the beginning. They are good mysteries and quick reads. Although I do find myself laughing at the 1988 references.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 27. The Country Ahead, The Country Behind
The Country Ahead of Us, The Country Behind by David Guterson

Bleh! Never got into any of the stories and had to force myself to finish. Thought I would like some of them since most are set int he Pacific Northwest but that didn't even help.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 28. Making a Baby Everything You Need to Know to Get Pregnant by Debra Fulghum Bruce
Very helpful. I wish I would have found this book sooner.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 29. Run for Your Life by James Patterson
Another good quick Patterson read.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 30. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

I don't really know what to say about this book. Not great but an easy read. Felt more like a bunch of short stories with the same characters than a cohesive novel.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 31. The Phantom Tollbooth ****
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 32. Pink Think by Lynn Peril **
Pink Think Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons by Lynn Peril

This book took me a REALLY long time to finish. I didn't grow up in this era and so I found this book mostly boring and the authors tone throughout annoying.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 33. Three Steps to Fertility by Marina Nicholas *****
3 Steps to Fertility A couple's guide to maximising their ability to conceive by Marina Nicholas
Even though she is from the UK and many of the clinics she talks about didn't apply, the information was very helpful.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 34. The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory ***** The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

It took me a long time to start this book but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 35. Sisterchicks in Sombreros by Rogin Jones Gunn***
Sisterchicks in Sombreros (Sisterchicks) by Robin Jones Gunn

Cute quick read.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 36. What to Do on the Worst Day of Your Life *****
What to Do on the Worst Day of Your Life by Brian Zahnd

Perfect book at the perfect time. I am sure I will be re-reading this one in the future.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 37. The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo ****
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

Took a while to get into the story but after about page 150 it was really good. I didn't love the ending but am very excited to start the next book in the series.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 38. The Girl Who Played With Fire ****
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson
I liked this one better than the first book. On to the last one.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 39. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest ****
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson

Good end to the series.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 40. Memoirs of a Geisha ****
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Read this for book group and really enjoyed it.
Only ten more to go!

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 41. Making Babies the Hard Way ****

Making Babies the Hard Way Living with Infertility and Treatment by Caroline Gallup

Not the problem we are currently having but a very helpful read in many other way.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 42. The Fight For Naturah by Lloyd Blake **
The Fight for Naturah The Reclamation by Lloyd Blake

43. Fang by James Patterson ****
Fang (Maximum Ride, #6) by James Patterson

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 44. Worst Case by Jame Patterson *****
Worst Case by James Patterson

Only a few more to go!!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 45. The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen
The Apprentice (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #2) by Tess Gerritsen

46. Body Double by Tess Gerrtitsen
Body Double (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #4) by Tess Gerritsen

Finished two more while traveling for the holiday.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 47. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Cute book that didn't take much thought to read. Just what I was looking for after a month of grant writing for work.

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 48. Angels at Christmas by Debbie Macomber ***
Angels at Christmas Those Christmas Angels\Where Angels Go by Debbie Macomber

message 39: by Gofita (new)

Gofita Jennifer wrote: "48. Angels at Christmas by Debbie Macomber ***
Angels at Christmas Those Christmas Angels\Where Angels Go by Debbie Macomber"

Only two more to go! Good luck!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments 49. Finding Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn
Finding Father Christmas A Novella by Robin Jones Gunn

This was a short cute Christmas book.
Only ONE more to reach my goal for 2010!

message 41: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Read Jennifer, read.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments Donna wrote: "Read Jennifer, read."

Thanks! I didn't quite make it to 50 last year so I am very excited to reach my goal.

Although I kind of feel like I am cheating because every year I read Christmas books in December and they always seem to be such short easy reads. But they are all book length so I am counting them!

I should have the 50th one finished today or tomorrow. Just in time for the craziness of the holidays to be here.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer24) | 145 comments #50. The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber ****
The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber

A great little Christmas book to finish out the challenge!