The Haters Club discussion

Homebuying...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 653 comments I am attempting to slide into the world of grown-ups and purchase my own house... this has made me feel pretty awesome, but also anxious and terrified.

I hate credit... I hate that I wasn't more responsible when I was freshly out of college, and I HATE that I had to get a credit card last month because I have to have revolving credit. I hate that after not having a credit card for over 5 years (by choice) that this actually makes me look like a risk, rather than making me look like someone who didn't want to end up $20,000 (or more) in debt like a few of my friends. I hate that I have something on my credit report that needs disputed, but the place I have to call is NEVER OPEN and I haven't been able to speak to a live person since the beginning of February. Additionally, cccording to the recording, the office is only open until noon on Fridays (and apparently closed all other days, based on the lack of response I'm getting), which sounds pretty awesome if you work there, but is super dumb for me.

I hate that I know my realtor and because of this, he doesn't listen to what I'm saying and sentences like, "I know you like the back of my hand" come out of his mouth while he's telling me that I shouldn't buy a house with a pedestal sink in the bathroom.

I hate that I found a house that I love and still have approximately 3 weeks before I'll be confident enough that everything will work out and grow the balls to make an offer.

I hate that I'm obsessed with Better Homes and Gardens and that I have dreams about repainting kitchens and I fantasize about flooring.

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I hate that I have to sell my house before I can buy another one. (is this actually true*??) How is this supposed to work? I sell my house. The new people want to move in next month. I
1) have until then to find the house I want to live in for the rest of my life? or
2) move into an apartment until I find the house I want to live in for the rest of my life?
That makes no sense. Therefore, I just stay where I am and throw more stuff away so there is room for us all. I want to look and look until I find the exact house I want. Then make an offer contingent upon selling my house. Why does everyone tell me I can't do that? I should be able to do that.

*I haven't really looked into this. I'm just going on hearsay because I HATE MOVING.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments We’ll be buying a house within the next year. It is all kinds of @$$-pain. We have to find a place near work with a good school system. Near a decent-sized city, but not too near. We have to find a nice little suburb, because the wife didn’t enjoy living in the boondocks. We have to find out about churches, and look at crime rates. My ’97 Corolla isn’t going to last much longer, and would never survive a long road trip, so we also have to buy a new bloody car. The wife wants me to be sociable so we can have friends in the new locale. It’s not my fault everyone here is some kind of @$$hole, with whom I don’t want to spend any of my precious free time, whom I can’t help pushing far, far, far away, consciously or subconsciously. Seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Gretchen wrote: "I hate that I have to sell my house before I can buy another one. (is this actually true*??) How is this supposed to work? I sell my house. The new people want to move in next month. I
1) have unt..."

Options.
1) Rent your current house at something close to your mortgage payment until you can sell it.
2) Rent another place until you can sell the current one, then buy a new house.
3) Buy a new house, try to sell the old one but if you can't, what the hell? Let it go to foreclosure- you don't have any equity in it anymore anyway, and you've just bought the last house you'll ever buy and don't need credit anymore.

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments ...and that's why I just keep throwing stuff away.

message 6: by Kasia (new)

Kasia 4) Get superrich, so that it doesn't matter much if you sell the old house or not.

Servius  Heiner The super rich option always sounds best written out, but is often the most difficult to achieve in reality... unless you are a talentless uneducated fucker that lives in California and thus rates a television show. See:

A simple life

for examples that fit closer to your own neck of the woods see:

Jersey Shore
Real housewives of wherever
Jon and Kate plus 8
Little people
and so on.

message 8: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Servius Sextus Heiner wrote: "The super rich option always sounds best written out, but is often the most difficult to achieve in reality... unless you are a talentless uneducated fucker that lives in California"

I know, and then not only do they get rich, but I have to hear all about it. And I don't even watch that stuff. There's no justice. UGH.