Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > RIP Corey Haim

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Like no one saw this one coming:

http://www.popeater.com/2010/03/10/co...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It is sad, but hardly shocking.

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Which Corey Feldman will exploit crassly, of course.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Gus! You're right, I totally conflate the two Coreys!

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Facebook is totally friggin' rife with "Corey Haim RIP" statuses.

Really? Did Corey Haim really touch your lives in such a manner that you're publicly mourning his death?

Give me a break, folks. The Lost Boys sucked, and sucked hard.

message 6: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments OMG (I am sorry that someone who was troubled has died) but, that said, holy shit Gus, you have made my day! It is so wrong that I keep re-reading # 5 and fist pumping the air and laughing. Alright, time for a little decorum, one of Corey's has died. *alright composed, and out of my system* Thank you Gus.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
Yes Gus.

He had an impact on the 10-12 year old me. Suck it.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

And, may I add, what's the problem with RIP/publicly mourning ANYONE'S death? Is it because he is a faded and burnt out star who OD'd that you think he doesn't deserve people feeling sad he passed?

What impacts me about this, and impacted others about Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett, is that icons of the 80s are dying. It's sad. It makes me feel old, dated, done.
I don't like the idea of just because his movies "sucked" that he doesn't deserve anyone feeling sad over his death.
Death is sad.

message 9: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Sally, genuinely apologetic for my above comment. In an age group myself, or just me maybe, that was not wrapped up in the hype of the Corey's, I failed to appreciate the young fans they did have, who have now grown up. I know I have fond memories of being 10 and my Hollywood crushes and I can totally relate, so in addition to feeling bad someone had died who was troubled, I am also sorry for not considering some peoples feelings that may have had such memories....sincerely.

message 10: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments p.s i loved the 'suck it'! I felt that :)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus wrote: "Facebook is totally friggin' rife with "Corey Haim RIP" statuses.

This is interesting. It's like the perfect Facebook status, the Corey Haim thing...sort of self-aware and sensitive at the same time. Too easy.

message 12: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Here's my point, and I think I didn't make it clear previously: I get that Corey Haim did impact a lot of people's lives, especially for all of us who are nostalgic for the 80's. Except me. I dislike nostalgia greatly. That isn't to say his death shouldn't be noted, but I think people are more caught up in the nostalgia for the times, especially for the film Haim starred in at the time, rather than for who he was and his untimely (and some will say inevitable drug-induced) death.

It wasn't my intention to dismiss his death because his movies stunk. It was my intention to point out that mourning the death of a celebrity often times is misplaced. I think what I'm seeing is people mourning the passing of a time and place in their lives, and this happened more noticeably when Michael Jackson died; suddenly, we weren't 12 years old anymore.

Again, I wasn't putting his death down or trivializing it in any way.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It was my intention to point out that mourning the death of a celebrity often times is misplaced.

I agree completely. I was confused by people acting as if the death of Michael Jackson made them as sad as, I don't know, someone they knew dying. Still don't get it.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Interesting point: It was my intention to point out that mourning the death of a celebrity often times is misplaced.

But in our pop-culture dominated media driven culture, what else do we have but our shared memory of these films, stars, events? I don't know who he is as a person, and I don't care. What I'm mourning IS the death of an icon, what he meant to me. Then, and retrospectively, me looking back on me then.

That you dislike nostalgia completely makes me feel like you feel superior to those of us who are rolling around in it today, and I'm not in the mood to be judged or condescended to.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think what Sally is describing is different than what I am describing.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

I think it is the same.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

When Michael Jackson died my childhood died. Over. Gonzo. I was relieved that his tragic and hideous fade out was over, and happy about that. But sad about morality rearing its head.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you really think all those people standing outside of Michael Jackson's house holding signs or whatever when he died were the same as you, Sally?

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

No, I'm not like those freak shows.

But what does it say about me that I'm sadder about Corey Haim than I was about Michael Jackson.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 10, 2010 11:54AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Well...what's going on in your life right now, etc., that might play a role in your being impacted by his death? I don't want to play amateur psychologist (yes I do! But no one will play with me...) but, as you said, these deaths seem to symbolize something bigger to you, your youth, you said, right?

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

And I'm super duper hormonal. So there's that.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did anyone get a statement from Feldman, by the way? Man, I'd hate to be the journalist who has to call Feldman for his reaction...

message 23: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments That is going to be one devastating interview (with Feldman) and YOU KNOW IT'S COMING!!!

message 24: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 10, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sidebar: Sally, someone needs to get you these for your birthday:

http://gawker.com/5490180/mad-men-get...

edit: I take it back, they're like 75 bucks. Evil barbies.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I understand, Sally. For you, Corey's death is not just about the loss of another drug-using celebrity. And it's not just nostalgia for our own teenage years.

It's about feeling sad that someone from our youth went down such a negative path, and now is seen as little more than a joke. And now, he's dead, and it's a shame.

message 26: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm not intending to come across as superior towards anyone feeling nostalgia. And I'm not wanting to demean anyone who is truly sad about Corey Haim dying.

Ignore me...I realize I can be insensitive sometimes.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Your point was valid, too, Gus. There really is too much attention paid to celebrity deaths, in a non-thoughtful way, by the media.
The Anna Nicole Smith coverage, for example, was awful.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus, if it makes you feel better, yesterday I inadvertently almost compared Sally to Sally Struthers.

message 29: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Oh Jesus, RA...are you looking to get justifiably murdered?

message 30: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) And, by the way, this whole discussion thread just gave me an idea for a new blog.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Do you think Corey Feldman was found standing over the dead body, shouting "There can be only one!"?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Do you think Corey Feldman was found standing over the dead body, shouting "There can be only one!"?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

But there's still Mr. "I wear my sunglasses at night" guy, Corey Hart to contend with. It's not over yet!

message 33: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I refuse to giggle. * :) *

message 34: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Gus wrote: "Give me a break, folks. The Lost Boys sucked, and sucked hard."

Oh that hurts! That is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've seen it so many times I can recite it word for word.