Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Chapter Books for a VERY Girly 6-Year-Old

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 6875 comments Mod
I'm wondering wether your daughter would like The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (and the rest of that series). It is a very simple and fun story, and the main protagonist (Lisa, I hope that's her name in English as well) is seven years old, so not too far removed age-wise from your own daughter.

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 10, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5571 comments Mod
Oooh! The Five Sisters It's about lost paper dolls!!! And is by the great Margaret Mahy! ;-) I don't remember much except that I liked it.

This came up on Amazon in the "People who bought this also bought..." section and it has an eight year old PRINCESS and a PIG ;-) (and good reviews)
Lady Lollipop

What about Whinnie the Pooh? I'm sure you've probably already thought of it... I loved that book when my mom read it to me :-) I also really loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder but I may have been a bit older when Mom read those to me. Laura is four years old when Little House in the Big Woods begins. Maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory???

Here's a list you might be interested in
http://www.daddyread.com/earlyElem.html

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I remember liking "The Boxcar Children" too but I can't remember when I read it. The others, I don't know about. As for Roald Dahl, I have not been able to get into his stuff as an adult at all. I even tried to read "Charlie" again and couldn't get past the first few chapters. But, as a kid, I was totally mesmerized. I WANTED that chocolate bar with the golden ticket. I WANTED to go see how all the candy was made. I was so intrigued by the grandparents all together in that big bed in a tiny house. Gosh, it was so darn fascinating! I also really loved The BFG -- lots of smelly stuff and body function humor, I'm afraid, but it really fit the bill at a certain point in my young life ;-p

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 6875 comments Mod
If you are going to be reading to your daughter, I wonder if she might be ready for A Little Princess. I know it's a pretty long book, but the story is not hart to understand and has enough magic and whimsy to satisfy those kids who enjoy reading and hearing about princesses, school and exotic places.

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 10, 2010 12:30PM) (new)

Good point, Chandra. I must say that the few truly special books we "sampled" a bit too soon we did return to later and I loved them then, nothing spoiled. But, that was just my experience. Good luck with your balancing act. I'm sure you'll do great :-)

(oh, and my nephew totally loved his whoopie cushion gift from Christmas--the rest of us, not so much, haha!)

message 6: by ABC (last edited Mar 10, 2010 07:25PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments We are reading "The Borrowers", too! Rather, I am reading and ds is saying, "This is boring...." lol A lot of the vocabulary is quite difficult, like "wainscot" and "parquet" and tons of other household words. I think it is a really good book, it is just that our little ones may be too young for it. (And it may be too girly-girl for my son. This book seems like the sort of book that a collector of dollhouse furniture would enjoy.)

"The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook" book is super duper sweet for a six year old. We read the second "Noisy Village" by Astrid Lindgren and that is also very sweet. I loved the "Ramona" series when I was a kid. BIG Beverly Cleary fan here!

Some other ideas:
The 100 Dresses (We haven't gotten to it yet but it looks good.)
The World According Humphrey (about a hamster)
Toys Go Out (about toys--duh)
Happy Little Family
My Naughty Little Sister
The Worst Witch
The Rainbow Fairies
The Fairy Realm
The Wizard of Oz
In Grandma's Attic (Christian content, but this is a cute book.)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

go for either "big" or "witches" by rodahl both excellent

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 11, 2010 07:04AM) (new)

One more I thought of, that I read to my daughter when she was young: Madeline. She has forgotten them, but I still remember the wonderful stories.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Abigail wrote: "Chandra wrote: "And to everyone! I am feeling WORLDS better today!"

I'm so glad! Don't despair, Chandra, your book pals are always here to shove their favorites upon you make helpful recommendati..."

:)

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Yay! I am glad there is hope, Chandra! :-) I'll be really curious how you two like "Unfortunate Events"--I haven't read them yet but they sound intriguing and I've read some of Snicket's humor elsewhere (tidbits here and there) and it is definitely amusing if one is in the right mood.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read Madeline in years, so when the name "Lord Cucuface" popped into my head, it took me a while to remember who he was!

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Mar 11, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I love the Madeline books but I remember most enjoying those when I was youunger than six, even though I'm sure I'd enjoy them even now.

ETA: and they're picture books, not chapter books.

message 13: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Mar 11, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

I came across this list on GoodReads, "Best Read Aloud Chapter Books"--it's not for a specific age group, but you might get some more ideas...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/32...

Do you think the "Shoe" books (like Ballet Shoes) would be too old for her right now? I love those but didn't find them until I was in my teens so I have no childhood insights...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I love the Madeline books but I remember most enjoying those when I was youunger than six, even though I'm sure I'd enjoy them even now.

ETA: and they're picture books, not chapter b..."

I seem to remember they had a longer story than a typical picture book, but it's been a long time since I looked at them! :)

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 21 comments Not nearly as worthy as classics like Pooh and Madeleine, but not down to the level of the Pink Princess books, my 6 year old Vivian is very much enjoying the different fairy series' by Daisy Meadows (that has got to be a pseudonym!!) and the horse-mad Princess Ellie books by Diana Kimpton. She's also enjoying the Cam Jansen books (the first is Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds).

Thanks for all the great suggestions in this thread, I have already added most of them to our tbr list. = )

message 16: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Chandra, if you are looking for something with a strong girl character, there is Fran K. Stein http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11... We haven't actually read it yet, but it is on our bookshelf!

message 17: by Donna-Lee (new)

Donna-Lee | 16 comments If your daughter likes animal stories, Winter Shadow might be a good choice. This chapter book includes some beautiful illustrations so it is a good book for the transition from picture book to chapter book.
Winter Shadow by Richard Knight
http://store.barefootbooks.com/winter...

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 21 comments Kirei wrote: "Chandra, if you are looking for something with a strong girl character, there is Fran K. Stein..."

Oh, my daughter really liked those! She read them last fall. There are only 6 or 7, so I'm hoping the author writes more of them.
The first four are listed in this box set: Franny K. Stein's Crate of Danger and the author is Jim Benton.

message 19: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Another one that comes to mind is "Ruby Lu Brave and True." We read the "Alvin Ho" book by the same author and it was really cute.

message 20: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Big Susan and Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones.
We are also big fans of the Mercy Watson books.
Rylant's Cobble Street Cousins are also really fun.

message 21: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Chandra, what about Ivy and Bean, any Beverly Cleary, Rainbow Magic series and Eloise has some really great ones too.

message 22: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments We are reading the Fairy Realm series!!! And I have a boy!!! We have read the first two and I plan to read the third soon. I think the author is on Goodreads. She is Australian.

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith I have a 6 year old girl (my 3rd girl of 4), and we are LOVING the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. It sounds like they would be great for your daughter right now. Also- they're coming out with a movie about it this summer. Ramona is a great character, strong in her own way. In a lot of ways, it's similar to Junie B. Jones in that she always manages to get into one scrape or another, but this is SO much better written and doesn't have the grammatical problems and the mean-spiritedness of the Junie B. Jones books.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Have you tried Sara Pennypacker's "Clementine" books? They are hilarious and remind me a lot of Ramona. Kate DiCamillo's "Mercy the Pig" series seem also about right for a 6-year-old, and I hear DiCamillo has a new early chapter book coming out as well.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments I highly recommend them! Clementine has quite a personality.

message 26: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Oooh! You know how I love Halperin illustrations, Chandra! Onto my list this goes! ;-)

message 27: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) My niece enjoyed the American Girl books as read alouds. If she likes Junie B., there are many of those, 1st as a Kindergartner and then Junie B. First Grader. Many of the kids enjoy the Bad Kitty Gets a Bath chapter book (after having loved Bad Kitty and Poor Puppy as picture books).

message 28: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments We've enjoyed the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew stories, as a precursor to the original tales that I loved as a child. Also, your daughter might like the Sugar Plum Ballerina series. Both are modern, with short chapters, and not overly irritating.

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Nov 06, 2010 02:20PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I think the American Girl books are great. I've heard, but I don't know if it's true, that each doll does come with a book.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments They are expensive but it's easy to remember what it feels like to really, really want something. ;-)

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Chandra, Did you get it?

message 32: by Lisa (last edited Nov 06, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Case closed. ;-) Izzy gets the doll if she really wants it. Didn't she sort of want one last year? Which girl(s) does she like?

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Kit is a good choice. One thing I like about the dolls/characters is that they have a lot of diversity in appearance and I love all their personalities, accomplishments, and all the historical fiction is interesting too.

message 34: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Chandra, you have to read Gooney Bird Greene to your daughter, or give it to her to read. I just read it to ds and it a great "strong" girl book. I don't think anybody has mentioned it!

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Gooney Bird Greene seems to have gotten some really good reviews as well. Plus it looks like a lot of fun. Do you think boys would like it as well?

message 36: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Yes, it is a good book for all kids, young and old. :-)

message 37: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments I just put Gooney Bird Greene on hold. What a coincidence!

☼Book her, Doesn't  Like New GR Format☼  (ren_t) Yes! I'll add my voice to the Gooney Bird Greene choir. It's a great read.

message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Chandra, we just read a great book by Ursula K Le Guin called Jane On Her Own. It's part of a series of short chapter books about a family of cat with wings! We haven't read the first three in the series yet but I'm going to find them. I was very charmed and so was my daughter who will be 5 soon.

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Your welcome, as I said the one we read was very short. You could read it in one or two sittings and it has lovely illustrations too!

message 41: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) I actually spotted it on the library sale table one day and grabbed it. I had never heard of these books before. I look forward to reading the first three.

message 42: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Just wanted to mention that I *did* read In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen: Ready-for-Chapters and I thought it was delightful! I'm so glad you told me about this one, Chandra :-)

message 43: by ABC (last edited Jan 23, 2011 06:10PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Chandra~~Just available on the kindle is All-of-a-Kind Family. I bought it and started reading it to myself. I thought I had never read it before--but as I read it I remembered that I did read it when I was a child and really enjoyed it!!!

editted: I just noticed you have it marked "to read". Oh well! LOL

message 44: by Lou (new)

Lou Tomlin | 4 comments I personally reccomend this list of books below because I'm only eleven and I enjoy these books. So please at least take aloof and tell me what you think.

Stargirl Academy by Vivian French and the first book is called Lily's Shimmering Spell
W.I.T.C.H by various authors these books are only available on Amazon or eBay
Secret Kingdom Rosie Banks these books are magical and adventurous
Girls F.C. by Helena Pielichaty these are about football
Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell this is a set of diaries wrote by a girl called Nikki Maxwell

Those are all I really know sorry if they were not much of a help but I did try

message 45: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (timeforme) | 2 comments We loved the Andrew Lost series. Also Judy Blume' s Fudge. One of our faves is The Magician' s Elephant. It a bit heavy but really wonderful.

message 46: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments Our 6-year-old girl really liked the Rainbow Magic books by Daisy Meadows. Not great literature, but the original series was pretty cute. (The series has since proliferated ad nauseam and I don't vouch for the later ones.)
The Olivia Sharp series by Marjorie Sharmat is just like Nate the Great with a female lead.
Vivian French also wrote the Tiara Club series, which is another pink and sparkly set of books! =)

message 47: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 13 comments The Magic Puppy and Magic Kitten books, maybe? :)

message 48: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (weebeaks) Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth is decent, especially for those who liked Fancy Nancy picture books (chapter books are the same nancy character just older).