Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > Sylphs - L.J. McDonald

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Romance Reviews (Carole) (last edited Mar 10, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments It's the new in thing, in case you don't know. LOL

Debut author L.J. McDonald created the sylphs--air sylphs, fire, water, earth, healer sylphs and the most dangerous of them all--the battle sylphs. Her first book is THE BATTLE SYLPH where she introduced us to the world of Eferem and Para Dubh and battle sylphs bonded to men as their servants. However, the tide turned when young, courageous Solie managed to bind a battle sylph to her and....

Well, read it for yourself! It's an awesome book. It's the first in a series, where the storyline continues from one book to the next. The next book, THE SHATTERED SYLPH, will be out too!

And I also posted in the promotion section that we currently have a giveaway! 6 books to be won! http://tiny.cc/8wBdB

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I've read the first in this series and while I did like it being new and different, there was one thing that bugged me a little. In alchemy and other fantasies I've read based on it, a Sylph is an elemental, a nature spirit, and a sylph is only an air elemental,, not fire, earth, water, or any thing else. Salamanders are fire elementals, Gnomes are earth elementals, and Undines are water elementals. I wish McDonald had chosen to call his creatures elementals instead, since every time I read about an earth sylph I couldn't help thinking that should be gnome or a fire sylph should be called a salamander.

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments Joseph wrote: "I've read the first in this series and while I did like it being new and different, there was one thing that bugged me a little. In alchemy and other fantasies I've read based on it, a Sylph is an..."

I understand where you're coming from. But for people like me, it was only when I looked up the word "sylph" in the dictionary that I realized it refers mainly to air elementals and that other elementals have other names. But yeah, giving them another name would be best and less confusing. But "sylph" sounds so much better...

message 4: by The Romance Reviews (Carole) (last edited Mar 10, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 37 comments Joseph wrote: "I've read the first in this series and while I did like it being new and different, there was one thing that bugged me a little. In alchemy and other fantasies I've read based on it, a Sylph is an..."

Joseph, someone also asked the same question here (http://theravingreaders.blogspot.com/...), and here's the author's answer to your comment:

"I just used the term and made it my own. I liked the sound of the word Sylph, though I know it does mean only air elementals in our world. The sylph world is their own though and I found it was actually less confusing to have an overall term for all of them. I like having a bit of a touch of our folklore in there though. It's just a touch though, like a bit of spice on a dish. The sylphs here are original though. You certainly won't find any battle sylphs listed anywhere, as they're drawn from many different sources and made wholly unique."

The author is currently having an Author Week at http://theravingreaders.blogspot.com , in case you have other questions to ask. She'll be around to answer questions.

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Mar 11, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Carole, interesting info, thanks. But I must say, I think if the author wanted to redefine what a sylph is, she would have been better off just making up her own word for these creatures, too.