Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J R Ward

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments This thread is for people who would like to re-read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series before the newest book Lover Mine is released on: April 27th!! Also, please feel free to make comments and/or predictions about the newest book.

I know that a few other groups are also doing full series re-reads. But, hey, I figure those of us that are addicted to this series never seem to be able to get enough conversation about it!

Please be aware, this thread WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I don't think I'll re-read from the beginning. I think I may just start from Lover Avenged since I despised Lover Enshrined.

AHH so excited for JM's book. I've been dying for this one ever since he became a really integral character. I just need to know what's going to happen with him and Xhex.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Ooh, really? I know there were a number of people that weren't happy with LEn, but it always surprises me because until LAv came out, LEn was my favorite.

I plan to do the read-along with the BDB group, reading one a week prior to LM's release, but I have yet to start DL again.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I will agree with Jess, Lover Enshrined for me was the worst book of the series, and Phury is my least favorite.

I may re-read Lover Avenged if I have time, but am really looking forward to the new book!!

message 5: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I have really mixed feeling about Lover Enshrined. I didn't really care for the parts with Phury and Cormia. They are my least favorite characters. But I loved the side stories that happened in that book. Especially the things with JM. He seems to really develop as a character in that book quite a bit.

DarkHeart - I'm going to be doing the one a week re-read with that group as well, but will discuss it on both groups! I Should be reading Dark Lover in the next day or two.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I hear you ladies. Phury is probably my least favorite Brother - if forced to chose, as I love them all, but what made his book so amazing for me was everything else that went on aside from his and Cormia's storyline. I love the boys, so seeing them play such a big role was great. And Lash? Brilliant! Plus we got more Rehv and any Rehv is good Rehv. ;)

I should finish up my curent audiobook tomorrow and then I can get started on the re-read. I can't wait! =)

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments What are you currently listening to? I had wanted to start Dark Lover last night at work, but that's one of the only BDB books that I don't have on audio. So I listened to Moon Called instead!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I'm listening to On the Edge for the first time (I read the book when it came out last year) and I'm enjoying it too much to stop in the middle. =) DL is the shortest of the books though, so I should still manage to get through it in time. (crosses fingers)

message 9: by Inkspeckle (new)

Inkspeckle | 17 comments Like you guys, I cannot wait to find out what happens with JM. But also, what happens to Xhex? The last chapter of LAv left me feeling a bit anxious. She's so strong a character, and Lash had such devious intentions from the first moment he saw her. If she were a real person, I would be EXTREMELY worried about her! Or maybe, I guess the guy who tried to screw her over should be doing the worrying. She IS Xhex, after all!

message 10: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i really love this series. i am fairly new to it and i was hooked from the first chapter on the first book but for some reason i didnt get into butch's story like i did the others for some reason i dont like his character as much either. so after that i took a break from the series for a bit which am still on but i will be going back to them soon as i do miss the world and the characters ; )

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Inkspeckle wrote: "Like you guys, I cannot wait to find out what happens with JM. But also, what happens to Xhex? The last chapter of LAv left me feeling a bit anxious. She's so strong a character, and Lash had such ..."

Oh so true!!! She's probably whooping some a$$ while JM is looking for her.

message 12: by Inkspeckle (new)

Inkspeckle | 17 comments Yeah. Poor little Omega-spawn. ;)

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Inkspeckle wrote: "Yeah. Poor little Omega-spawn. ;)"

LOL! That's great! I really hope that Xhex kills him. I'm just a bit worried that with his powers he might really hurt her as badly as she'll hurt him. Is it April 27th yet?

message 14: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) How is the audio version of the Lover books?

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan | 5 comments I just recently read this series and to my surprise enjoyed them all. Now I have my wife reading them and she loving them too. Im just as excited about the new book release and cant wait to start reading about john and xhex

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Regina wrote: "How is the audio version of the Lover books?"

I've really enjoyed them. I don't have Dark Lover in audio but I have the rest. Jim Frangione does a great job with them all. Or at least I think that he does! If you look on audible.com you can listen to a sample to make sure that you like his voice.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Regina - I'll admit from the start that I have a BDB obsession (it's my favorite PNR series, hands down), but I fell in love with the series in paperback. However, when I discovered the series was available at audible.com as well, I quickly picked them up. It was the first PNR series I'd listened to on audio - and once I got past the initial giggling at Jim Frangione reading the rude bits, I quite enjoyed them. I'm now doing my series "re-read" with my audio versions. Love them!

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) thank you, I just checked my online public libraries and neither have it, so I will check out audible, I think I have 1 credit right now. :)

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Someone brought up a thought in one of my other groups, and I just wanted to ask people's opinions on here!

What do you think of Xhex? Do you like her for JM? Or do you think that she's too "butch" and just can't picture them together?

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 113 comments DarkHeart "Vehngeance" wrote: "Regina - I'll admit from the start that I have a BDB obsession (it's my favorite PNR series, hands down), but I fell in love with the series in paperback. However, when I discovered the series was..."

I couldn't help cracking up too. He has such a newscaster's voice. Hearing him say all the swear words and sexual graphic parts, is soooooo funny.

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 113 comments Darcy wrote: "I will agree with Jess, Lover Enshrined for me was the worst book of the series, and Phury is my least favorite.

I may re-read Lover Avenged if I have time, but am really looking forward to the ..."

I have to agree with you about Lover Enshirned. JR Ward didn't put enough time it to the love story. I think Phury could have been one of the best brothers, but the Warden wanted to make a point. That even heros can be drug addicts. The whole, what was he called
"magician", drove me CRAZY!!!!

Also, It really bugged me that Phury was suppose to have gone without having sex for hundreds of years, just to turn around and do it with some hooker. YUCK.

message 22: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 14, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Kelley Anne, If Ward can make me love Rehvenge then I will hold off on my opinion of Xhex until after I read Lover Mine. Never thought in a million years she could change my opinion of him, so I'm just going along with whatever Ward throws out there. Now to answer your question, I never would have picked her for him. Makes me wonder if anything had ever happened between the two in JM's former life?

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I don't think that anything happened with the two of them before. It seems like Xhex mentiones that she has been involved with one of the Brothers only once before, and that was Murhder. Who, btw, is going to be showing up in Lover Mine! That'll make things interesting!

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I don't think that anything happened with the two of them before. It seems like Xhex mentiones that she has been involved with one of the Brothers only once before, and that was Murhder. Who, btw..."

Didn't Xhex and Butch have sex once before he started to live with the brothers? If it wasn't before it was right after and I know before he became one.

message 25: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments It was after he started living with the brothers, but he hadn't been turned yet. It was when he and Marissa weren't together.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Someone brought up a thought in one of my other groups, and I just wanted to ask people's opinions on here!

What do you think of Xhex? Do you like her for JM? Or do you think that she's too "b..."

I love her, and think she and John are awesome together. They've both been damaged in their past, and will rely on each other for strength and healing. I love that he's not intimidated by her physical strength and power and that he sees her as beautiful and sexy where others view her as harsh and masculine. Is it the 27th yet? =(

message 27: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I just managed to snatch the first 6 books (a boxed set) of the BDB series from a thrift store for $6.36. They are in near perfect condition. First time I read the series a friend loaned me the books because the library had huge holds on everything. I'm going to try to re-read them before the 27th. I looked for them once at a second hand store and the lady at the counter said they go out as fast as they come in. I'm taking it as a sign I must read them again. :)

message 28: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 16 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I just managed to snatch the first 6 books (a boxed set) of the BDB series from a thrift store for $6.36. ..."

WOW! Score! :)

message 29: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I know. I kind of just stared in utter disbelief for a second or two with my mouth hanging open, then my mind kicked in and grabbed them as quickly as I could. I've never seen even a single one of Ward's books at a thrift store before.

message 30: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Darcy wrote: "I will agree with Jess, Lover Enshrined for me was the worst book of the series, and Phury is my least favorite.

I may re-read Lover Avenged if I have time, but am really looking forward to the ..."

Yeah, Lover Enshrined is where the wheels starting falling off the bus for me. I keep reading the series but I don't salivate over it the way that I used to. (I will freely admite that I have an unholy obsession with Rhage-I really really need to find a support group) I think that she no longer gives as much thought and attention to character arch and growth that she used to. The characters are starting to feel a little one-dimensional to me as are the featured relationships between the h/h.

I was really looking forward to JM's story but I really don't like Xhex. I'll read it because I've gone this far with the series, but I guess I'm really waiting for Quinn, Tohr, and Lassiter's books.

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Lover Enshrined is my least favorite book. But I really don't like Phury or Cormia, two of my least fav characters. The only things that I liked about their book were the stories of the other characters. Then I loved Rhev's book. But I'm pretty sure that JM's is going to end up being my favorite. I love him and Xhex.

I know that all of the side stories in the books bothers some people, but I actually really like that. I like that it's not just completely focused on the two main characters while everyone else is forgotten. But that's just my opinion!

Lisarenee - I am jealous! That's great!

message 32: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Lover Enshrined is my least favorite book. But I really don't like Phury or Cormia, two of my least fav characters. ..."

Kelley Anne, you're killing me! :'(

message 33: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Lol! Sorry! Is Lover Enshrined your fav book?

BTW, I still can't believe the will power that you are showing! How many days have you had Lover Mine for? There is no way that I could wait to read it! I've preordered mine, but knowing my luck it probably wont come until a day or two after the release date. So I'll probably end up spending that entire Tuesday sitting at the book store reading!

message 34: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Lol! Sorry! Is Lover Enshrined your fav book?

BTW, I still can't believe the will power that you are showing! How many days have you had Lover Mine for? There is no way that I could wait t..."

I am tempted to spend the day in the book store with you!! Too bad we weren't at the same one, we could read for an hour then dish the dirt, read some more, more dish. How fun would that be.

message 35: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments That would be fun! Too bad that I don't have a laptop that I can take to the store, or we could dish online!

message 36: by Mel (last edited Apr 15, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments That would have been cool girls!

I have LM for 7 long days now.... And still haven't read more than the sneak peeks I did a couple of days ago. I'm very proud of myself and I know the wait will be worth it. Gem and DarkHeart will probably get theirs soon, so I might start next week :)

About LEn: together with Lover Awakened it's my favorite book in the series. Both books are really dark and intense in completely different ways. I can't stand it when people call Phury boring or whiney. He was every bit tortured as Zsadist was and he was punishing himself, as Zsadist was, but people find him sad and he gets kicked out of the Brotherhood?!? What!?!
Anyway, I still get all bothered and start raving when I think about it. I remember spending half a day for my review just so I had the feeling I had defended the book well. (See? I get still all worked up about it!)

message 37: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yeah, DarkHeart just posted on the other group that she got her copy today! I am so jealous of the two of you!

message 38: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I don't know how you can have that book and not inhale it!! I wouldn't have that much self control!! :)

message 39: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 16 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I know that all of the side stories in the books bothers some people, but I actually really like that...."

Me too, I really enjoy the side stories. Makes me feel like I got more story for my money, and I love that each new book is longer than the last. And Ward is just so good at weaving the stories together, like in one book she will sow the seeds for the next one, just enough to make you crazy to find out what happens next. I just love that it's a whole world of characters with different dramas and romances and friendships and relationships (and enemy-ships LOL) and intrigue and HEA's and total weepy sob-fests and, and, and.... *deep breathe* it's more addictive to me than a soap opera, and after so many years of laughing and crying along with these characters it will literally kill me when (if) this series ends. I hear that she's contracted for ten installments, but that would mean only two more books after LM. Surely that will change, and her publisher will give her an open-ended deal to allow her to write as long as there are fans salivating for the next book. I mean, look how many Dark-Hunter books Kenyon has, or Feehan's Carpathians, or even Hamilton's Anita Blake for crying out loud! And none of them are (IMO) as well-rounded and cohesive and just plain juicy good as BDB. I mean, I seriously get depressed everytime I read (or re-read) one of these books, because it eventually ends. And when I'm doing the series re-read like I am now, I can't even enjoy any of my other books because I'm rushing though them so I can get back to BDB LOL! My April challenges are in the toilet so far this month because of it. And I've already cheated and started LAv early because I couldn't resist. I have three other books started that are being neglected because I can't help myself. "OK, just one chapter of LAv, and I have to get back to this one." Yeah, right.

Me, addicted? Nooo...

*blush* So, um.. yeah. I guess I really like 'em. :D

message 40: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Lol! Mary I am right there with you!!! And her publisher would be stupid not to let her write more in the series. At the very least we still need an HEA for Payne/Manny, Thor, Muhrder, Blay/Quinn. I'd say that should be 4 books right there. And who knows how many other great characters she can introduce in the meantime that we'll want more stories about!

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments I'm afraid that Qhuinn and Blay won't get their own book...:S But Kelley Anne, don't forget the Shadows! So that's 5-6 books already. And Lassiter!

message 42: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments WHAT DO YOU MEAN QHUINN WON'T GET HIS OWN BOOK!!!!!! The possibility of that book is what's kept me going with the series. I think I'm going to go cry in a corner somewhere....WHAAANHHHH

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Mel, You got your hands on Lover Mine already? How?

message 44: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Mel - True! And I can keep my fingers crossed that they get their own book. :)

message 45: by Mel (last edited Apr 15, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Lisarenee, I live in Holland and was used to buying my books at the American Book Centre in the Hague (before I discovered the wonderfullness that is bookdepository).
I don't know how they do it, but they get some books really early. Like: 3 weeks before release date-early. So I went and pre-ordered Lover Mine in order to maybe get it early too. And I was lucky. I got notification to pick it up on the 8th :)
Although I've told myself to wait in order not to read alone (and be all excited and have no one to talk to about it with...).

Crystal: I was just expressing my fear. It wasn't fact. I'm right there hoping with you. But I'm afraid her publishers might find it too out there...

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Thanks Mel.

message 47: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Mel wrote: "Lisarenee, I live in Holland and was used to buying my books at the American Book Centre in the Hague (before I discovered the wonderfullness that is bookdepository).
I don't know how they do it,..."

OHHHH I'm keeping my fingers crossed....If she does do a book for Qhuinn I don't think he will wind up with Blay. I think it was stated in a previous book that Qhuinn didn't have the same feelings as Blay.

message 48: by Inkspeckle (new)

Inkspeckle | 17 comments That's true. Also, Quinn is such a womanizer he would need an extra-special relationship with an extra-special woman to change him. Sure, he's hot, but he shouldn't be taken as-is.
The restroom/dressing room/tat parlor scenes prove that, don't they?
And Mel: I completely agree with you about Phury and Z. I mean, the brothers put up with Z's issues for a century or more and then Phury finally starts to crack after being the savior and the hero for so long--and they bag him! Is there a stronger word for unfair?

message 49: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments I agree with you. I guess my real issue with Phury's book was that she didn't flesh out his problems like she did with Z. I think she could have explored it and had a really terrific story. Instead we don't get very good insight into his addiction. I got the impression that he was in love with Bella and didn't have the time of day for Cormia then all of a sudden he had feelings for her-and I didn't like their first time together at all-what was that about. Maybe I should go back and do a re-read, because I couldn't get a feel for Cormia either, she felt more like a supporting character than the main heroine.

message 50: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Do you guys think that maybe because Z was kept for years and tortured so his pain and issues seemed more real for the brothers, while Phury had a normal life or so it seemed. He was abandoned and a lot of his problems were more mental and he had a hard time dealing with not feeling like he mattered. So many people don't think things like this are a "real" problem.

As for the issue with Cormia, I do think he was in love with Bella and didn't really give any other woman a chance. But then it was all of a sudden he could see her as a woman and let his instincts take over.

« previous 1