Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 10, 2010 01:20AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments This thread is for people who would like to re-read the Mercy Thompson series before the newest book Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) is released on: March 30th!! Also, please feel free to make comments and/or predictions about the newest book.

Please be aware, this thread WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5)  by Patricia Briggs

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So tonight I started re-reading Moon Called. I have to say that this series, paired with the spin off Alpha and Omega are probably by far my favorite Urban Fantasy series. Also, before reading it, I was into vamps, but really didn't care about weres or shifters at all. But this series got me hooked!

One thing that just really struck me as I've been re-reading is how much Adam really trusts Mercy. I mean, here he is, the 4th most powerful werewolf in the US, and instead of throwing an absolute fit that he can't be the one that goes out looking for his Jessie, he trusts Mercy. Yeah, I know that he ends up going back and forth between wanting to keep Mercy out of it and wanting her to help, but I think that has more to do with that he's worried about losing her as well.

Also, Mercy mentions not really knowing Z's past. I'm wondering if we will ever get that full story! What do you think?

message 3: by MissSusie (last edited Mar 10, 2010 07:52AM) (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments What I really enjoyed about the Mercy Thompson Series was after the events at the end of Iron Kissed it showed a real person dealing with a traumatic experience in Bone Crossed alot of these series they go through these harrowing experiences and its like ok I'm healed and it never happened.I think thats what makes this my favorite series!

I think the next book from what I've heard is more about the Fae world so I think alot will be learned!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I think that's a really good point, Susie. I know that at the end of Iron Kissed it gave the impression that Mercy was trying to push ahead too quickly, but I think it was handled really well with Adam refusing and pressing her to talk to someone and allow her the time she needed to heal. It was such a shocking event and not one that usually happens to a heroine (she would usually escape/be rescued at the last minute) and I think Briggs handled it beautifully.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I'm plannng on re-reading the series when the next book comes out. It will be my first re-read of these books and I always find something new that didn't catch my attention over the first read.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Susie wrote: "What I really enjoyed about the Mercy Thompson Series was after the events at the end of Iron Kissed it showed a real person dealing with a traumatic experience in Bone Crossed alot of these series..."

That's a really good point! Many times in these books, when something bad happens to a heroine they just go on as if it never happened. I like the fact that Briggs approached it the way she did.

It just continues to show that Mercy is similar to an actual person. She doesn't just get over things. I wonder if in Silver Borne there will be recurring issues especially if the fey are going to be involved. Maybe she'll have a little PTSD.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I don't think that I will re-read these ones, if I do, it will probably just be the last one. I very much love this series and can't wait for the new one!!

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments One of the main things I want to look for while I do re-read them is the info about the book that she borrowed. See if that gives up any clues about the next book!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I want to reread them, but I've already committed to rereading the BDB series (okay, I'd do my audio versions for both of them), and I don't think I can get through them all in time. I can't wait for Silver Borne though.

message 10: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Even if you don't have time for a re-read, come check in once in a while with the discussion.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Definitely! I can chat about Mercy, Adam, Samuel, Ben, Warren... all day. ;)

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I'm not sure if I'll do a complete re-read of any of the books, but I will definitely have to skim through them before Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5).

I love this series because not only does it have great character development and a lot of action, but it's also very well written.

message 13: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments I will probably reread Bone Crossed because when I got that one I devoured it I think in 2 sittings so will go back and relish it a little more this time.Thanks goodness for discovering the Alpha & Omega Series it held me over almost to the release date!

message 14: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ooh! I just found out that there's a sample chapter for silver borne posted on Brigg's website! Here it is:

Silver Borne Chapter

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just finished reading it! So excited for this book! Also, it seems like things are still going to be a bit hard for Mercy, after the rape. I agree with all of you. I'm glad that she didn't just quickly get over it and move on. That's not really real to life. I like how she isn't letting it rule her life, but at the same time it does still affect her. Like it would anyone!

I'm counting down the days on this book!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm so excited for Silver Borne! The excerpt was great, thanks for the link Kelley Anne! This series got me back into reading urban fantasy as well as really into werewolf and shifter books. I wonder if we will see more of Tad at all? He seems like he could be a very interesting character.

message 17: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I wouldn't be surprised if we see him, especially since it seems like something's going on with this friend of his. The other thing that I found really interesting in that excerpt was the way that Samuel was acting. But I heard that he was supposed to be playing a pretty big part in this book.

message 18: by Shannon (last edited Mar 10, 2010 11:52PM) (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 85 comments I agree Kelley Anne, this is by far my favorite Urban Fantasy series to date! I know I will be rereading these books in the future, and I simply can't wait for Silver Borne! This is Sam's story from what Patricia Briggs mentioned in her forum, so I'm uber excited! I want to know what is going to happen with Stefan, and if Bran will get rid of Leah and find true love! So many wants and wishes, LOL!

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I have a feeling that the whole Bran/Leah stuff will most likely happen in the Alpha and Omega series instead of in this one, but who knows! I can't believe that we have to wait more than a year for another one of those books!!! Silver Borne will have to tide us over for a year.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 85 comments I know, Kelley Anne, I know! I hate waiting so long for books, but Silver Borne is next and I'm going to give her Sianim series a shot as well. She's re-releasing Masques later this year, so I'm gonna check it out.

message 21: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments BTW, I just jumped on the forum on Brigg's website and saw that she's already announced what she's planning on titling the next book: River Marked. And it says that Mercy should be encountering other Walkers and fighting an evil that lives in the Columbia River.

message 22: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments Thanks for the link Kelly Anne I can't wait for this book!I'm excited she's already got a title for the next one!I wonder when the next Alpha & Omega will be out?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Yes, thanks Kelley Anne, I hadn't read that preview before. It's got me very excited for the book!

I don't know if she's said exactly when the next Alpha & Omega book will be out beyond autumn 2011 (we'll get River Marked before another Charles & Anna tale). I know that the revamped version of Masques will be out later this year, in addition to its follow-up Wolfsbane. Although I recently bought her fantasy books, I have yet to read anything non-wolf by her yet. Looking forward to it though.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I can't bring myself to read the preview... it will just make me more anxious. I will hold off until the release date gets closer.

Her next book sounds so interesting. Other walkers??? Awesome!

message 25: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 16 comments I've recently read books 1 through 3 of this series, so I will definitely be following this thread. I've been saving book 4 until closer to book 5's release, so I will probably be picking it up in the next few weeks (I am also participating in the BDB series re-read).

I finished Iron Kissed a few days ago, and OMG was it a tearjerker for me! I agree that Briggs handled Mercy's trauma with dignity, and it gave me a healthy respect for her gentle handling of the characters. I was especially impressed that she was able to communicate The Event without going into great crushing graphic detail... it was heart-wrenching enough, just piecing together what happened through the other characters' dialogues that followed. Man, did my heart hurt for her! And Ben's convo with Adam afterward, when he was trying to make him understand how she was feeling? That definitely fleshed out his character for me and made me have a new respect for him. I just wanted to reach through that book and comfort-hug everyone!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The Sianim series are really good. I don't know if Raven's Shadow and Raven's Strike are a part of that or not, but those are awesome too. I just re-read Steal the Dragon. I haven't been able to find Masques anywhere, so I'm glad to hear she's releasing it again. Briggs is such a great writer.

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Mary wrote: "I've recently read books 1 through 3 of this series, so I will definitely be following this thread. I've been saving book 4 until closer to book 5's release, so I will probably be picking it up in ..."

That book also made me adore Ben. While he's still rude and slightly anti-social, we KNOW why! I also wanted to give him a hug and not let go.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I love Ben. You knew that he wasn't as bad as he'd seemed in the first two books - as you'd caught glimpses of good in him - but finding out about his past was shocking.

message 29: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So while I've been reading #1, I've been trying to keep an eye on things that could affect what happens in the next book. Especially Samuel and any scenes with Mercy and any of Adam's wolves. And I found a scene that I had completely forgot about. Remember when Warren was hiding Adam in his house, and Warren and the pack came over? When Mercy got to the house, she had quite a scene with Aurielle. I wonder if that's part of why she has such a hard time with Mercy.

Also, I re-read the sample chapter, and I'm kinda freaking out about something. So, I heard a rumor recently, 100% unconfirmed, that one of the things that is dealt with in this book was a suicide attempt. The only person that I can think of that might happen with would be Samuel. Now, with that in mind, re-read the parts of the sample chapter with Sam. Is it just me or does he seem to be telling Mercy goodbye? Plus she mentions that he wont look her in the eye when she first gets home, like he's worried about what she'll see there. I know (or at least I am really wishing) that she's not going to kill off Samuel. But if he does attempt to commit suicide, that's going to make for some extremley intense parts to this book!!!

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 85 comments I think you're right Kelley Anne on all points. I think that Aurielle does have a problem with Mercy because of that incident and the whole coyote/wolf thing. Oh, I hope Sam doesn't die! But I think you're right: it sounds like he is saying goodbye to Mercy. Plus, he's been around for a while, and Aksel from Cry Wolf was in the same ship, so it could be a possibility. I hope not, I love Samuel!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I thought that about Samuel as well - the whole kiss goodbye, telling her to be happy and telling Adam to take care of her. I definitely worry about Samuel and really want him to find happiness.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments He was really depressing in the last book. I never really liked him though, not that I want him to off himself and never return to the series! lol. But I'm not all that surprised if that's where the story is going. I can remember Bran being worried that Sam might do something, isn't that why he sent him to be with Mercy in the first place.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments You guys are killing me!! I'm just itching to go home and re-read the books. I told myself that I would only skim them, but then I read the posts and remember how much has happened to Mercy!

I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of Sam either...

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Aww... I love Samuel. He wasn't right for Mercy and they both had to suffer for them to truly realize that - but his desire to have a family and to find his place in the world is so touching. And after his ex decided not to keep his baby - ugh... I think he's got such a compassionate soul (even if in the past he's put his desires before others) that I'd really like to see him happy.

message 35: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments I agree, Samuel deserves some happiness after all he has been through.

message 36: by Trish (new)

Trish (sugarbones) | 3 comments I have reread these books so many times! I don't think I'm going to reread them before the 30th, but who knows. Each book only takes about a day or less to read even with all the work I do, so I may end up reading them again. It's my favorite series so far. I can't wait to read what's next. I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen with Sam. I hope he remains a solid part of the series or goes into Alpha and Omega. I love him! He's a great character.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 445 comments I am working my way through Iron Kissed it takes me a minute to get involved with these but once I do I can't put them down.

message 38: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Samuel has been one of my favorite characters from the start. I am glad that Mercy ended up with Adam. She and Sam are better as friends, but I really want him to have an HEA. He's just been tugging at my heartstrings throughout the series. He's so depressed but trying to not be. He's also really hard on himself. Like when he was having so much trouble controlling himself and it ended up being because of the demon. He still blamed himself for his lack of control. I'm just really worried about what's going to happen to him in this book!

message 39: by Dan (new)

Dan | 5 comments Well I wasn't planning on rereading any of the books. I was just gonna jump right into SilverBorne but after reading all these posts I'm dying to reread them all now. So now I know exactly what Ill be doing with all my free time for the next couple weeks!

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 445 comments OMG! SPOILERS AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY EYES LOL!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments LOL, the title of the thread does say "Spoilers"

message 42: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments LOL! Samantha - I did warn you in the title that there would be spoilers! lol!

Dan - I know the feeling! I re-read all of the books only a few months ago, so I figured that I'd just want to reread Bone Crossed before the new release, but I just couldn't pass up the excuse to re-read the whole series! This is a fav!!!

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 445 comments I know lol...I was just being funny! :)

message 44: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just finished Moon Called and I came across another part that I had forgotten. At the end, when Robert tried to curse Adam, Mercy was able to step in and block it. The book says that shouldn't have been able to happen. Why do you think that it did? Is it because Magic works differently for Mercy? Or do you think it's because Mercy and Adam were technically already mates, even though she hadn't accepted it yet?

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 445 comments probably a mixture of both.

message 46: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 14, 2010 01:34AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments BLOOD BOUND PG. 59-60

"Mmmm." I said, leaning against Warren to get a better look at the food. "Mongolian beef. I think I'm in love."

"His heart's occupied elsewhere," said Ben from behind me. "And even if it weren't he's not interested in your kind. But, I'm available and ready."

"You don't have a heart. I told him. "Just a gaping hole where it should have been."

"All the more reason for you to give me yours."

I pounded my forehead against Warren's back. "Tell me Ben's not flirting with me."

"Hey," said Ben sounding hurt. "I was talking cannibalism, not romance."

He was almost funny. If I liked him better, I'd have laughed.

I forgot how much I loved the interaction between Mercy and Ben!!!

message 47: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments That is a good scene!!

What I like about Mercy and Ben's relationship is that it has changed from most hated enemies to friends. Just shows you how people can change and how they are not what they first appear.

message 48: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Now you're making me think I should read all the Mercy books before the new one comes out. It's amazing how many little things you forget over time.

message 49: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments That's what I've been finding! Can't believe how many things I've forgotten!

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I can't wait for the new one!!!

« previous 1 3