What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's book involving an old tree...

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tra-Kay (last edited Mar 09, 2010 09:41PM) (new)

Tra-Kay This is a very long shot. I have never been able to find an answer about this book, but here goes:

I read it in elementary school (10+ years ago), and it was at least a couple years old at that time. I can only remember a mysterious sense of magic, and something involving an old forest and/or tree...possibly something with an old man, possibly something with gold...it was fairly thick for a children's book, maybe 90-300 pages.

Thank you~.

PS Not "Tuck Everlasting."

message 2: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments Hmm... not The Magic Faraway Tree or any of its prequels/sequels??

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments Could it be The Riddle of the Trumpalar? There is an old Moreton Bay Fig, plenty of magic and a mage-type character who definitely had old-man characteristics. It is an Australian book, and I don't know how far it circulated, so if you are elsewhere in the world it may not be the one you are looking for.

message 4: by Tra-Kay (new)

Tra-Kay Josie: Nope, too new.
Valerie: No, that's not it, because the book I'm talking about was set in a more primitive sort of civilization, like fantasy or a fairy-tale. It wouldn't have had a park in it. Thank you though. ^.^;

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments Never mind, someone may come up with it. Keep posting more details if they come back to you. This group is great for finding long-lost books!

message 6: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments I don't think The Magic Tree would be too new - Enid Blyton wrote in the 40s/50s - the date on here would be the reprint date. But if your book's set in a primitive civilization, it wouldn't be it anyway!

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 33 comments What about The Ancient One?

message 8: by Tra-Kay (new)

Tra-Kay Nope, loggers are a definite out. I wish it had had a normal cover, but it was a dark clothish hardcover as they did in libraries.

message 9: by Rhianfa (new)

Rhianfa Riel | 10 comments the tree that sat down perhaps?

message 10: by Tra-Kay (new)

Tra-Kay I feel like there was something involving gold, maybe even in the title; I don't THINK the word "tree" was actually in the title.

Thank you for trying! I've become pretty sure I will never rediscover this book. ;o;

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Kay wrote: "Thank you for trying! I've become pretty sure I will never rediscover this book. ;o; "

Kay, Keep checking back. I've had books found by members of this group that took 2 1/2 years to find. One book that took longer than a month (how long ago you've posted) to find was a book I'd remembered (poorly, giving bad clues) from when I was 2-4 years old, over a half century ago: Fire Dog

I never give up! ;-)

I'm waiting for an answer now to a query I think I put in the possibly solved folder, a Timber Trail Riders book: The Texas Tenderfoot, which I'm almost sure is the book I was searching for, but I can't find a copy and so I'm hoping someone can corroborate my memories about the plot.

Keep checking back!

message 12: by Tra-Kay (new)

Tra-Kay Ha~, it was actually a year and a month ago. >,>

Thanks! Well, I HOPE I may find out...I just remember so little, ne.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Kay wrote: "Ha~, it was actually a year and a month ago. >,>

Thanks! Well, I HOPE I may find out...I just remember so little, ne."

Whoops! So true. Still, never give up. Feel free to bump every so often, and if you remember more details, give them. Good luck!

message 14: by Lanica (new)

Lanica | 17 comments The Dark is Rising
Three Gold Pieces: A Greek Folk Tale
The Lorax

Hmmm, maybe not the Lorax, but...you never know til you try, eh?

message 15: by Janie (new)

Janie (janiefey) | 19 comments Magic in the Park
Could this be it?

message 16: by MB (What she read) (last edited Apr 12, 2011 11:56AM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Was a giant tree found inside a room in a very old house? I remember the young girl finding the room with the tree and then meeting various other children from the past. I think they were her ancestors. I can't remember the name of the book, although I can picture the cover illustration.

Another option which starts in a forest with a girl finding a man in a tree is Diana Wynne-Jones Hexwood. It is a SF twist on tales based on the King Arthur stories.

message 17: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments Could it have been a short story in a long collection> Nicholas Stuart Gray has several collections of fantasy stories and at least one has the elements you describe.

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (lltoo) | 143 comments Maybe The Great Dimpole Oak? While it's not a medieval/fairy tale setting, there is a swami and some legend about a treasure buried beneath its roots.

message 19: by Angela (last edited Jun 20, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Angela | 62 comments Another possibility--"The Door in the Tree" by William Corlett:

Thirteen-year-old William Constant and his two younger sisters, Mary and Alice, have come to ancient, mysterious Golden House in Wales for the holidays. Their lives will never be the same once they enter the Magician's House -- and discover their destiny.

The Secret of Magic

It's vacation again -- time for William, Mary, and Alice to return to Golden House. They've made a solemn vow not to speak of anything that happened on their last visit to Uncle Jack's home. Was the magic real? It seems like a dream to William and Mary. Only Alice knows the secret of magic: believing. It is alice who discovers the Dark and Dreadful Path, Alice who is irresistibly drawn to the ancient yew tree. And it is Alice who finds the door in the tree -- leading to the secret hiding place of the Magician. It wasn't a dream!

Soon they've become the Magician's students, led by the kestel, the badgers, and the dog into the most perilous assignment of all....

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89...

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
Tra-Kay, is any of the books from msg 14 on your book?

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Sent Tra-Kay a PM. She is still active, so hopefully we'll hear back from her.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
No response so moving to Abandoned.