We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Off Topic (Non-Kleypas Chat) > Vent your frustrations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 198 (198 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited May 28, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Use this thread to vent your frustrations!!!!!

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I understand, writing reviews is hard and it's probably ridiculous and unreasonable to expect everyone to write one. I just don't know if there's a real way to monitor any of this. And I used to be a "drive by reviewer." The only reason I write so many now is because it was a New Years Resolution.

Sometimes you'll see reviews with 5 stars before the release date and the comments "I can't wait for this book!!!" which is just wrong. What if, after the book is released and read, it sucks?

What if GR did something like eBay does, where there's a little drop down box with options like storyline, writing, character developement... and we could click stars that way... that would be easier and still give some indication why we rated as we did.

Well, I guess there's no real solution to this so I should keep my trap shut on the subject.

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments No, not at all. It is a good idea. One that would have to be thought on before implemented. i actually like the drop down box, especially for new or soon to be released books. I am not against what you said, I am for, just wondering how it could be done effectively and successfully.... keep those ideas coming! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, here is my venting for the time being. My daughter, age 9, has come home two weeks in a row from dance class telling me that two girls are picking on her. one of which I take to school morning and pick up and bring home with us two days a week. my daughter is really upset, says she thoughtt hey were friends. I know its just girls stuff, but enough is enough. I plan to talk with Kenzie's mom(who I am friends with)...I just hate it. I was picked on all thru school by a group of girls that were older than me and I just don't want Natalie picked on. I have no tolerance for it.

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments My daughter was the quiet one, always picked on, so I know what you mean. It breaks your heart, doesn't it. Like I've said before, it doesn't matter how old they are, when THEY hurt, YOU hurt.

I think you're doing the right thing, but I'm going to warn you that when I talked to the parents of the girls picking on my daughter, they in turn talked to their daughters who in turn picked on my daughter even more. Be prepared ahead of time to handle this, should it occur as it did with us.

*hugs* from one loving mom to another.

message 6: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Alycia wrote: "I agree with Julie, some people get ARC, but I think most of the time people just give random ratings, especially popular authors who get a ton of 5 star ratings before the book is ever out... those 1 or 2 star ratings annoy me because I always want to know the rationale, but there are never reviews."

I see that happen a lot too, Alycia. I think that ARCs typically come out a month or two before the release date (at least that when I've gotten mine), so if the review/rating falls within that time frame, I can believe that they actually read it. Although according to the new FCC rules they are supposed to be stating that they got a free copy (although this might not apply to GR reviewers, not sure). I've seen some people throwing out ratings/reviews six months or more in advance though, when they clearly could not have read the book at all which is very frustrating and unhelpful IMO.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Kelly, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people who have rated it received an ARC of the book. On the couple of ratings I saw, it looked like they had read the book, and that's the o..."

Yes, probably were ARC but I want a copy too. lol.

boohoo

message 8: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I completely agree with you Julie! Some people who get ARC say that and provide a review. I see the latter all the time... so annoying. I want to know true ratings on a book, especially if I can't decide if it is one for me or not.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I understand, writing reviews is hard and it's probably ridiculous and unreasonable to expect everyone to write one. I just don't know if there's a real way to monitor any of this. And I used to be..."

I like that idea Dhestiny. I always try and write a review for books that I rate very low or very high. I am not a very articulate writer so usually just write it for myself and my GR friends.
I do so love reading your reivews so I hope you keep it up always not just this year!

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:55PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thank you for your kind words regarding my reviews!

I made this resolution because I was frustrated with very low reviews with no explanations, but I was doing the same thing... so originally my resolution was to write a review for all low ratings, and I ended up writing them for all books I read.

I think that even if someone just says "I just couldn't get into this.. or I didn't relate to the characters... etc... that's helpful and a lot of time others will then comment, which helps round out the review.

For me, it doesn't matter if someone is incredibly literate or articulate. I just like knowing what they think and I know I've read some of your reviews and have found them helpful - regardless of the word count.

And just so you know, I make tons of mistakes so I always write them first in Word so that it catches spelling mistakes and most grammar and punctuation mistakes. And even after I've done all that, and posted the review, I will go back a day or 2 later to read it and find still more mistakes. I think "Man, people who read these must think I'm a moron!" LOL

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Julie, I got my Knight of Passion ARC a couple weeks ago and it has a June release date, so you're right about the approximate time frame of a couple months before the release date.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I'm terrible about having errors in my reviews.

Dhestiny, I have an issue with no reviews, specifically with interracial romances. I've been burned, buying some that weren't my taste. I would have appreciated reading a review first, and that way I go into it warned. I made a plea on the IR group, but it fell on deaf ears.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Heidi, I was picked on my whole school years. It's a very bad feeling. But tell your daughter to keep her head up. Most of them are insecure, and they pick on others to feel better about themselves.

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Danielle, I totally understand what you mean. That's also why I post a sexual content warning now, not to be judgemental, just so people know what to expect.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Thank you for your kind words regarding my reviews!

I made this resolution because I was frustrated with very low reviews with no explanations, but I was doing the same thing... so originally my..."

not at all! your review are wonderful.

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thanks, Alycia! *whispers* The check is in the mail ;)

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments HAHA! whispers back *ok, thanks*

message 18: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Heidi wrote: "Ok, here is my venting for the time being. My daughter, age 9, has come home two weeks in a row from dance class telling me that two girls are picking on her. one of which I take to school morning ..."

Next time little Kenzie is in your car, knock her out on her ass...then ask her how she likes being picked on. Bet she leaves your sweet baby alone.

Just kidding, but I hope the ridiculousness of it made you smile. I'm sorry this is happening in her life right now.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Bekah thats exactly what I want to do! Seriously tho, I talked to Kezie's mom and she said that Kenz is just a sarcastic kid and Natalie needs to lighten up. Well, in some cases I agree, she does need to lighten up, but being picked on repeatedly at dance is not one of them. So I guess I have gotten nowhere. next time I will tell natalie to knock her on her ass on the dance floor and we'll see if it stops then!

message 20: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments sometimes you have to take things into your own hands. If she continues - maybe an intimidating look or word will curb that.

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Since I have several thoughts or replies going through my head I hope its ok if I don't quote but indicate what I'm, referring to.

First, Dhestiny maybe your son in law can install a web cam to record his front porch and or yard. As for the type of person who would do such a thing how about low-life, non-bright, animalistic scum.

Second, Don't recall who started the topic about reviews but in reference to the stars. I wonder if there is a way to "lock the stars" until after release date or better yet you can't select stars until the book is actually on one of your shelves. In selecting a book I've accidentally hit the stars and have to go into my shelves and edit especially when its a TBR.

Third, I am so happy to hear all of you care about spelling. I know several people who don't care if they misspell and if you tell them you lose your head.

Fourth, About children picking on others. It seems like children are meaner now then they were when we were kids. Maybe its true or maybe its because we're parents and have very strong protective instincts. I think some of it is also the adults in charge such as teacher's don't seem to be as observant as they use to be. My daughter once had a book taken and it was being thrown around the room rather noisily according to her. I asked where the teacher was, she was in the hall talking to another teacher and apparently heard nothing. When I was in school I had teacher's who heard you if you whispered and if they left the room if you so much as quietly asked someone for paper they heard you.

Fifth, I once got an ARC and it was my understanding that the expectation was that I would write a review. I didn't indicate it was and ARC though partly because I didn't know I was suppose to and partly because I didn't finish reading it before the release date.

Stepping quietly off soap box and apologizing for length

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments No need to apologize, Robin. I'm impressed with how organized you are. :)

message 23: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Robin, thanks for the suggestion of the web cam. Unfortunately, things are escalating and we went with them tonight to look at a home to rent in a much nicer, safer neighborhood.

I hate it when the thugs win. :(

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments That's really sad.

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments What can they do? No one will file a report stating that those neighbors admitted to doing it. They have 3 young sons, my grandsons... when will it stop being eggs and start being bricks through the windows?

But this is what the world is coming to, when people won't stand up for whats right. If that one neighbor would just tell the police what he knows, this would end, but he won't do it because he's concerned about his own safety.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Sorry to hear the bad guy is winning but glad to hear your loved ones will soon be safe.

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Well, here is my latest "Friend Invite" request:

Fjzzhhj71 said: "Outbreak Communications - variant of rabies (see blog of all blogs, photos) Monster Chinese society is changing, humans had been animal hybrid monster cross cattle dog infected with rabies and mad cow disease, variant viruses, the direction of the length variation of dwarf dog degradation, Like the AIDS virus, mode of transmission, is contagious and hereditary. Propagation characteristics of the third-generation cattle dogs exposed horrible, most like the dwarf, or chaos long bones, brain, and so variations caused by residual disability, Very simple and obvious differences between the secretion of cows, dogs smell, long sharp dog teeth, sexual intercourse semen was stinky squid smell, and so variation symptoms. China has been human monster dog hybrid regime forces and the EEG wave radar set up too many unstable factors and difficulties, such as: the cult Falun Gong practitioners, the chemical class of drugs run rampant (secreted alkaline strange smell), human female reproductive "

This person has 0 friends and 0 books. And to think, they want to be friends with Moi! How sweet. NOT!

message 28: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments What in the world????? That sounds like someone just messing with goodreads. Sorry about your daughter having to move. Hope she doesn't get stuck paying rent for 2 places. Probably best to be away from people like that even if they weren't directing their aggressions toward your family.

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments The thugs are trying to intimidate them now. There is always someone watching the house, glaring at them when they come or go... they can't get out of there fast enough to suit me.

message 30: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments This isn't necessarily a vent so much as something I don't understand. Normally color is a non-issue but for the purpose of this vent I have to point out colors. Our Church Secretary who is white had a friend (also white) that was robbed and killed by a black guy. She is now afraid of all black people. When I heard this (via grapevine so it might be exaggerated but knowing what I do of the Secretary it seems plausible) my question (to the grape) was what if the robber had been white? One of the other threads had a discussion about judging people by the inside not the outside so maybe this fits better over there but it really irritates me when people lump. Just because your skin is a certain color doesn't make you bad.

message 31: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Your comments fit here perfectly!

And I agree about how people lump other people into one catagory. It's very frustrating to me that this happens. I think it has a lot to do with how a person was raised. I know people who live in constant fear of one thing or another... it's sad.

I wish I knew how to better express what I'm thinking, but I do agree with you.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Sometimes people are afraid of people who are different from themselves. Could be a woman afraid of all men or vice versa. Sometimes there really is no rhyme nor reason to it and other times it has its beginnings in a violent act such as the one you're describing. Is it reasonable to have this fear? Of course not. If she was around black people then she probably would never have developed this fear or mistrust. If she has been around black people and still feels this way then I really have no explanation. Unfortunately, discrimination is still alive and kicking and it will probably never fully go away. We can only hope that there is less of it as time goes on. I agree with you Robin that just because your skin is a certain color doesn't make you bad or good. Wish more people felt that way. Hope the grapevine is wrong.

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Dhestiny, You did a great job of expressing yourself at least I believe I get what you're trying to say. I think stereotyping has its uses like if you're trying to explain what a certain type of person is like such as a rake but I truly don't like it because pretty much every rule has an exception. I also think fear has a place but only if it doesn't get out of hand. IMHO Fear is what makes us cautious and alert when we walk to our car at night.

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Robin, I guess she probably hasn't spent time around Black people at all. I've seen some prejudice that makes me shake my head. But people will find any reason to dislike each other, whether it's race, sexual orientation, economic status, religion, what types of books you read, etc.

Dhestiny, that is a weird friend request! Sorry about your daughter. I will pray for her family's wellbeing.

message 35: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thank you, Lisarenee, prayers are greatly appreciated!

message 36: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Sorry, Danielle... for some reason I thought it said Lisarenee. Geez.

Thank YOU for the prayers!!! They need all the strength they can get.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Danielle, I totally agree with what you said and have seen it myself. Some of the most awesome people I have ever met have been black and some of the most unawesome (not sure this is actually a word but I think it should be) people I have come across are white. A person should definitely not be judged by their cover. Hmmm, maybe if we were all purple...

Dhestiny, I hope your family is able to find a place soon; I've been keeping them in my prayers.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 22, 2010 10:52AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Dhestiny wrote,"Thank you, Lisarenee, prayers are greatly appreciated!" and "for some reason I thought it said Lisarenee. Geez"

Dhestiny, You just know me so well that you knew they were already in them. :)

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Have you seen that Dr. Seuss cartoon with the Snozzles (correct me if I'm wrong about their name)? They wanted stars so they could be different. Then the businessman invented a machine that was able to give the unstarred people stars, so the original group had their stars removed, and it just escalated. It was just stupid. I think this cartoon really shows how stupid prejudice is.

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Sorry, Danielle... for some reason I thought it said Lisarenee. Geez.

Thank YOU for the prayers!!! They need all the strength they can get."

No worries!

message 41: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Danielle, You were close it was the Sneetches.

message 42: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Here is an article about Dr. Suess and his writing that is seldom discussed:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/po...

I found it very interesting. Here's a little excerpt:

Many readers didn’t know that The Sneetches was inspired by Seuss’s opposition to anti-Semitism, that Horton Hears a Who! was a political statement about democracy and isolationism, or that The Lorax and The Butter Battle Book were parables about the environment and the arms race. Dr. Seuss’s true genius may lie in the fact that all of this was done with such humor and finesse, that few realized he was being political at all.

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Here is an article about Dr. Suess and his writing that is seldom discussed:

..."

I knew about the Lorax but not the rest. The cool part is he wrote mostly children's books. We have one that is definitely not for children its called Seven Lady Godivas: The True Facts Concerning History's Barest Family
Seven Lady Godivas The True Facts Concerning History's Barest Family by Dr. Seuss

I know this is a different thread but can I read The Lorax for my 4th book on the March Challenge it is about being Green and saving the environment,right?

message 44: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Here is an article about Dr. Suess and his writing that is seldom discussed:

..."

Thanks for posting that Lisarenee. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Seuss, and I knew some of those things about him like the meanings behind The Lorax & The Sneetches, but it seems there was more to the man than I even realized. I'd love to see the film, and put the biography mentioned in the article on my TBR list.

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 22, 2010 10:06PM) (new)

OK ive come to Vent ...
I am sick of A **holes trying to be-friend me so they can flirt chit chat crap!
Firstly i dont be-friend "males" unless im the one who sends the friend request secondly
If you dont want to chat books .. P** OFF
just the other day this capital "L" sends me a friend request .. so i accept .. then not only does he flirt his friends list is all young gorgeous girls ...that this dude has nothign in common with in regards to reading because i checked there reads .. then i see him flirting with them .. SERIOUSLY >.
this is not a dating website .. and if you can see that someone is married ..respect that ...
***phew knocking back a shot of brandy*** im glad i got that of my chest ..
I no what y'all all thinking .. DONT SAY IT

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Rachael. You do know how to delete a friend, right?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

HI lisarenee .. yes i do .. but i dont feel i should have to ... anyway if i do be-friend someon that becomes annoying i will certainly be deleting them :)

message 48: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Robin, I never heard of Seven Lady Godivas: The True Facts Concerning History's Barest Family. I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments It's really sad that people join this site to do stuff other than to talk books. I don't get it at all. I am not on Facebook or Myspace or whatever because I don't want to be social in that setting. I love Goodreads because I love chatting with people who appreciate books. I get frustrated with the authors who are really aggressive bookpushers, too. I generally will accept any invitation I get, but I did unfriend one guy because he clearly just wanted to push his Ghetto book. I hate that genre, so that made me even more annoyed.

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Robin, I never heard of Seven Lady Godivas: The True Facts Concerning History's Barest Family. I'd be interested in taking a look at it."

I'll plan to post a detailed review of it later today. In the meantime here's the information from the cover flaps. (Hope I can legally do this) Originally published in 1939, Dr/ Suess's first book for adult's is a collector's item. It sells for as much as $500 in the rare bok market. So you can save up to $490.05 with this pretty-close-to-the-real-thing edition. Now reissued by multitidinous demand, this book sets the record straight about what really happened in eleventh-century Coventry: there was not one Lady Godiva but seven sisters, all equally bare, and not one Peeping Tom but seven. With unabashed good humor, Suess romps through history and engages in a little horseplay along the way as he uncovers the origins of seven celebrated proverbs. Wonderfully wacky and satisfyingly scandalous, this is the perfect fillip for all those who thought they had outgrown Dr. Suess

« previous 1 3 4