Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Briggs or Harrison

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) I'm currently reading the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost, My next choices are the Hollows series by Kim Harrison or the Mercy Thompson series by Particia Briggs. I already have these books and I can't choose!
What's your vote??

message 2: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments My vote is for Briggs. I love both her Mercy series and her Alpha and Omega series. I tried twice reading the the first book in Hollow series, and just could not get into it at all.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I like both series, but I think I like Briggs a smidge more. I enjoyed all of the books in the Mercy Thompson series, but while I enjoyed the Hollows series also, the books in that series were not all equally good, some were better than others.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I like Briggs a little more, although I enjoyed the first two Hollows books.

message 5: by Lory (new)

Lory (moty) | 103 comments I really enjoy Patricia Briggs books.

message 6: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 2 comments My vote is Patricia Briggs :)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ I like them both. There are a few more books in the hollows so maybe start with Mercy series now and u can get the new one coming out on the 30th. :D

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I've only read the first Hollows book (although I got the rest for Christmas), but I've read all of the Mercy books (several times). So, while I enjoyed The Hollows, few series can compete with Mercy for me. I definitely recommend starting there!

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (mrsworldwidewebb) I am so glad you asked that question Robin.. I am reading Jeanine too and I love it so far.. I tried to read Kim Harrison's free book on Kindle.. (Hollows series #1) but just could not get into it.. Now Jeanine's I am not able to put down.. So onto Brigg's it will be for me.. LOL Thanks again Rhonda!

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
BRIGGS, all the way. :o) I've read both, and while I enjoy both writers, its Briggs that's the one I like best.

Hum, hope poor Kim doesn't cruise in here--she'll feel SO crushed. (Its ok Kim, we love you too) :o)

message 11: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 15 comments Briggs :-) In my opinion this author is better

message 12: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments I like both, but I'd recommend the Mercy Thompson books - can't beat a vamp who drives a Scooby Doo style mystery machine!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments Both! Couldn't choose one of the other if I wanted to :)

message 14: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 25 comments Read Briggs first - save the best for last.

message 15: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 453 comments I've only read a few books by both authors but I much prefer Briggs over Harrison. Harrison is an awesome author but I could never get into her "Hollows" series.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I agree with LethalLovely, I prefer Briggs over Harrison too but I do like Harrison's books.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (satori1977) | 47 comments Haven't read Harrison yet, but I love the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Just finished the third and picked up the fourth to read for a challenge next month...but I am having a hard time waiting. The last book I read almost straight though. I was less than halfway thru and read all night, I couldn't stop.

message 18: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Nicole wrote: "Haven't read Harrison yet, but I love the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Just finished the third and picked up the fourth to read for a challenge next month...but I am having a hard tim..."

I'm really looking forward to reading the Mercy Thompson books. I haven't started yet, cause somehow I get myself into trouble with books. I called myself "waiting" to start since I have all the books, until after I get my copy of Succubus Shadows By Richelle Mead. I didn't want to stop midway to read Succubus Shadows. So what did I do??? I picked up the first Demonica book by Larissa Ione, now I'm hooked on that. But I will ge to the Mercy Thompson books very soon!!

message 19: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments HA! I am going against the grain here. While I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mercy series, I pick Harrison and the Hollows first. I will also freely admit that it took me 4+ times to get into the first one once I caught on I was beyond hooked. Briggs is great though too so you really can't go wrong : )

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (satori1977) | 47 comments @Rhonda...I love the demonica series. Picked up 2 and 3 at walmart not realizing i skipped the 1st. Still need to read it, but I just bought the 4th.
@Jessie...I have the 1st 2 harrison books, just have so many in my tbr pile!

message 21: by Rhonda (last edited Mar 29, 2010 05:59PM) (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) @Nicloe.....OOO you must read the first!! There's another coming out this year. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. The first one is Eidolon's story.

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Michael | 5 comments I haven't read Briggs yet, but I'm assuming since this a paranormal romance group that we are looking for paranormal romance books and Harrison's Hollows series are as far away from a romance as you can get. IMHO it is pure Urban Fantasy...nothing romantic about it.

message 23: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Valerie wrote: "I haven't read Briggs yet, but I'm assuming since this a paranormal romance group that we are looking for paranormal romance books and Harrison's Hollows series are as far away from a romance as yo..."

Thaqnk You!

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments Just got an email from Amazon ... Silver Borne is on it's way! Sweeeet.

message 25: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 511 comments I got an email over the weekend from amazon, saying it was on its way!!!!

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Ruffin (poetic_mother) | 42 comments BRIGGS definitely!

message 27: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) OK...I haven't read Briggs yet either but I've read all of Harrison's 'The Hollows' series. I have to admit the first couple books took a bit to get into them but I was hooked after that. I agree I can't say that every book in the series is wonderful, a couple were just ok but I think they were necessary to move the plot where it needed to go. I love most of the characters and I really enjoyed her last book that just came out (Black Magic Sanction).

BTW, I plan on reading Briggs 'Mercy' series soon myself.

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Ruffin (poetic_mother) | 42 comments ☻Nikki☻ wrote: "OK...I haven't read Briggs yet either but I've read all of Harrison's 'The Hollows' series. I have to admit the first couple books took a bit to get into them but I was hooked after that. I agree I..."

I agree about the hollows series. I'm rereading it before I go to Black Magic Sanction and it seems to be taking me forever to get through them.

You'll enjoy Mercy. Each book is definitely a page turner.

message 29: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments I like them both, but I would say Harrison. The characters are more eccentric and unpredictable.

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (satori1977) | 47 comments Rhonda wrote: "@Nicloe.....OOO you must read the first!! There's another coming out this year. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. The first one is Eidolon's story."

I know, I want to. I was so annoyed when I brought the books home only to find out it was the second and third. Having a hard time finding the 1st, will probably have to order it online.

message 31: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Valerie--actually, many UF books have SOME element of romance in them--they are just much slower to develop than are PNR's. As a result, at least with Fearless Leader YZ, we are allowed to read them for the challenges here. And we discuss them--sometimes obsessively so. lol, having said that--I LOVE both Briggs AND Harrison.

message 32: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Michael | 5 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Valerie--actually, many UF books have SOME element of romance in them--they are just much slower to develop than are PNR's. As a result, at least with Fearless Leader YZ, we are allowed to read th..."
Hi Ann,
Since I only joined this group about two weeks ago, that is good to know.

I agree many UF books have some romance, but I don't believe Hollows is one of them. IMHO, the MC has a few hookups, but no solid romance. Now having said that I should also disclose that I stopping reading the series after book 4 so if any developed after that I certainly wouldn't know. But 4 books was more than enough for me to finally realize the romance I was looking for wasn't going to happen.

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments having ripped through them so fast I have a hard time remembering what happened in which book ... was book four the one where she went to rescue Nick? If so, yeah romance picks up after that (can't say more w/o giving spoilers to those who haven't read it) ... that being said yeah it's not romance like BDB or other PNR but I like it :) but then I like UF and PNR

message 34: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I'm fine with either no romance or the romance developing very slowly in UF books. But then again, I'm kind of an omnivore when it comes to reading--my Mum used to tease that if they put writing on toilet paper I wouldn't leave the bathroom til I'd finished reading the entire roll. :o)

In addition to UF and PNR I also read--mysteries, sci fi, fantasy, westerns, biographies, historicals, humour, chick lit, true crime . . . er, well, basically, I'll read just about anything.

message 35: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 2 comments I couldn't get into the first Harrison book so I'm going with Brigg's Mercy Thompson series WHICH I DEVOURED! :D

message 36: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Michael | 5 comments Hi Angel,
It is hard to talk without giving away spoilers, but yes, she rescued Nick in book 4. But I read the reviews to book 5 which I why I walked away. Things went from bad to worse on the romance front.

This series is very, very popular. And I wanted to love it just like everyone else. But it just didn't work for me. I hate when that happens.