Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > What's Your Child's Favorite Book(s)?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ABC (last edited Mar 09, 2010 03:33PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments And give their age(s), please!

I am asking because I am reading "The Borrowers" aloud to ds. He is not getting into it. I asked, "What read aloud book has been your favorite so far?"

He said, "George's Marvelous Medicine."

The funny thing is I posted about how much I hated that book, lol lol! I think our next book may have to be a Roald Dahl book.
(Oh, my son is seven.)

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5664 comments Mod
I love this thread idea! I don't have any children yet but will be eager to see what others have to say as I build my home library for the time when I will have little ones to read to/with.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

ok just want to say diary of a wimpy kid is a good choice lots of pictures very funny and its sort of a chapter book with out the chapters

message 4: by ABC (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:56PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I feel a tug-of-war with read alouds, because the ones I gravitate to, and the ones that tend to be found on book lists, are girly girl. But of course ds prefers the boy books, I guess. I try to balance them

message 5: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Oh, and our reading routine is like this:
morning: DS reads from a book.

afternoon: I read a read aloud to him when the time is right. (Like when he is eating a snack and can listen.)

Bedtime: I read two or three picture books to him. Although today at the library, I got a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with color illustrations that I will read to him at bedtime. It is so nicely done that I want to be sure he sees the pictures.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2010 08:13PM) (new)

My daughter enjoyed:
Hank the Cowdog 01: The Original Adventures
Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery
The Complete Adventures of Curious George

All of these might appeal to your son. The first two series are very silly!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

There are several in the series of Bunnicula. Great if you are an animal lover, too. And, not really scary at all!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

GOOSEBUMPS they are great if you child doesn't get nightmares

message 9: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments We read the first chapter last night. I am loving the color illustrations. DS asked me, "Why didn't Charlie's father just get a better job?"

We are reading the 40th anniversary edition: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/90...

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Well, many of my son's faboourites are already listed here (Tales from the house of Bunnicula, Magic Treehouse, Geronimo Stilton). To that I would add The Dragon of Doom first in the Moongobble and Me books; Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, Famous Five and the Adventure books; Pippi Longstocking; Roddy Doyle's Rover Adventures, Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon (soon to be a movie); Hardy Boys (the original ones); Encyclopedia Brown and The Awful Pawful and others from the Jack Daniel Dog Detective series.

These books were favourites from about age 4 to 8 (he is 8 now and into Harry Potter, Jules Verne and 3 Muskateers etc - all pretty heavy fare for a young lad).

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Hi sorry Abigail, I didn't check in for a few days. Original to me is both the 1930's and the 1950's but not the new ones where they have cell phones and are part of some teen crime fighting crew. He HATES those ones.

He does tend to like series so that he can get to know the characters well.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Abigail wrote: "No worries, Shannon! I grew up on the 50s rewrites myself (blue covers for the Hardy Boys, yellow for Nancy Drew), and was surprised to learn, a few years back, that these weren't the "originals!" ..."

Thanks Abigail. I grew up with the blue and yellow books as well and didn't realize that they had changes until you told me! LOL

message 13: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments My baby's favorite books right now are Panda in the Park(have to read it at least 3 times each time), Baby Faces, and Baby Praises. She loves looking at babies! Who doesn't?

message 14: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 3 comments My daughter has been enjoying the English Roses series. She also just finished reading, Island of the Blue Dolphines - and loved it. DD also enjoys reading the Nancy Drew series, as well. ( dd is 9 )

message 15: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments My grandson, 7, has jumped this year from Geronimo Stilton and Magic Tree House to the four Diary of a Wimpy Kid books to the Percy Jackson series and is now hopping into Harry Potter. I'm having trouble just keeping up!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 8 comments My children are both grown now, 23 (on Friday) and 26, but they both loved The BFG by Roald Dahl. The 23-yr.-old is a boy and the 26-yr.-old is a girl, and they both thought this was just fantastic, as do I. Now, my granddaughter is loving it, too.

message 17: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments Kathy wrote: "My children are both grown now, 23 (on Friday) and 26, but they both loved The BFG by Roald Dahl. The 23-yr.-old is a boy and the 26-yr.-old is a girl, and they both thought this was just fantasti..."
Kathy,
I love Roald Dahl! I read the BFG again this past year and I still enjoyed it! I can't wait to read it to my little girl who just turned 1 yesterday. Happy Birthday to your baby boy! =)

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 8 comments Crystal, so glad you love Dahl and the BFG, too. You have lots of great reading ahead of you with your little girl.

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments Kathy wrote: "Crystal, so glad you love Dahl and the BFG, too. You have lots of great reading ahead of you with your little girl."
I am looking forward to it!