Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you shush annoying people at the movies?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
I totally shush. Or rather, stand up and make teacher-ish comments like "I'm really enjoying watching this film, and would enjoy it more if I could hear it too."

People are so rude in this day and age, dontcha think? What's the rudest thing you've ever witnessed in the theater? How did you handle it, if at all?

Linda Holmes blogged about this recently:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/20...
Which reminded me not only how much I love her, but how much I want to hear what my fellow TCers have to say on the subject.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I spoke to a girl who was texting, because the lit up screen on her phone was really distracting. I hate that.
But the most distracting thing ever was a guy who fell asleep and was snoring! He was too far away for me to nudge him back awake, I don't know why his companion didn't.
I wanted to poke him with a stick!
I think that happened at the last Batman movie. Which I did think was too long.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Maybe he was making a statement, Jackie.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

His statement was "poke me with a stick."

message 5: by Rannie (new)

Rannie maybe she was making a statement - he's less annoying asleep than awake.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i try to be quiet and considerate but i HATE HATE HATE (sorry to be such a hater) to be shushed. my wife and family shush me at home when we watch movies. they like to sit in total darkness and watch somewhat quietly. i much prefer the MST2000 version of watching

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sounds like a fun time, Kevin. Not.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

We've talked about this before, I now realize. I would never watch a movie with Kevin.

In fact, wasn't this one of the original TC polls, or Face Off threads?

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yup.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Was the previously addressed topic talking in a theater, though, or talking while watching movies at home? Those are two different issues. The "talking people at home" are usually friends/relatives while the theater people are strangers, I assume.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 09, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't think shushing is effective in some settings. There's a new doc instructor who shushes the students, apparently, and now they fuck with him to make him shush. I find that kind of entertaining. When I'm teaching I tend to use the silent stare. But that wouldn't work in a theater, I'm afraid.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Right, thanks RA.

The first topic was in regards to a certain family event in which sweeter's family "watched" a movie together. Which really just means we all sat in the same room in the dark and talked while a movie was on the television.

It was REAAAALY hard for me not to just go to my room and read a book.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Crazy lady. She used up all her confidence with her "apology."

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you would watch a movie with me sally. i sneak in the good snacks and whole meatball sandwiches. plus i usually sleep anyway AND i am fun

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't usually need to speak, I can look really mad, and it usually does the trick.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, are we talking about going to the theater in public, or you playing Mystery Science Theater 2010 in your living room?

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i will be good at the theatre and you can pick the movie for MST2010

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments If I've seen the movie before, you can talk. But otherwise, please save your comments until later.

I hate when I'm watching a movie I've seen with someone who hasn't, and they ask me what's going to happen. Just wait and see, geez!

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we need to do a big Skype conference topic live chat sometime. that would be a hoot

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Jake is just awful during movies and TV shows. We've missed important info because he won't shut up!

I have no problems telling people to Shhhhhhhhh during a movie. And if they're sitting in front of me, I'll kick em too if they continue to blab.

message 21: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:26PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Heheheh I am chuckling at 'Mystery Science Theater in your living room'. I just may do more than a "shush" if that is the case. In your own living room go bananas, in the theater, whispers and quiet giggles are fine, we all paid the same $10 to be there!

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You tell 'em Camb.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:17PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You know, this reminds me, when we first moved up to Wisconsin we went to a movie with another couple. They talked at the screen the entire movie, and we resolved never to go out with them again. They seemed fairly normal otherwise, but we didn't care.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments well that should show em

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I didn't want to show them anything. I just wanted them to stay away.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I remember doing that once to someone who was being very critical..the fella shut up soon after, but I don't remember what show it was or who I told off...it was too long ago. I may or may not have been 12 or 11.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Are you sure it wasn't just a dream, Bunny?

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments It WASN'T!!! It wasn't, really!

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I believe in you.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Merci. Je crois en toi...no google translator used. Booyah!!

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Booyah.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm a shusher in the theater, but usually the problem isn't the talking these days, it's the light from the phones while people are texting.
I went to some movie last year where the guy in front of me kept texting and I kept subtly kicking his chair, which didn't seem to tell him what I thought it did.

He was reading and responding to e-mails on his phone about some party in the park so I finally leaned over and said "I can't wait to meet everybody at Patterson Park at 3 PM on Sunday, but can you turn your phone off now?"

PEople think they are both invisible and immune to the rules that govern others.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I'm scared to shush people. The theatre nearest our house is a wee bit, er, ghetto. I'm afraid someone will bust a cap in my ass.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Mary wrote: "I'm scared to shush people. The theatre nearest our house is a wee bit, er, ghetto. I'm afraid someone will bust a cap in my ass."

only 9:24am and i have found my Comment Of The Day. thank you mary

message 35: by Félix (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh yes, Mary, please keep your mouth shut.

message 36: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments Jim wrote: "I don't usually need to speak, I can look really mad, and it usually does the trick."

moi aussi, I just can't shush people. But the look works, most of the time.

I also hate it when people eat loud, or eat at all, very ungetable.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I also find it irritating when I can hear people's nose whistling when they breathe! **cackles**

I find myself wandering off and imagining what's causing it...

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments very ungetable.

I hate when things are ungetable, too. Like Monica Bellucci or an espresso machine.

message 40: by Félix (last edited Mar 11, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Boy I'll say. Boy howdy.

Why would someone carry a meat thermometer?

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

And feel compelled to shove it into another person's neck?

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well yeah that too.

message 43: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 11, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments That was my first question Larry, 'what the heck are you doing at a movie theater with a meat thermometer' ?? WTH? It's not like, oops I forgot to take that out of my pants pocket and put it in the roast before we left the house, or 'let's see what i have in my purse to protect myself with, oh lookey here, a meat thermometer'. And I guess if you are deranged enough to stab someone, let alone in the neck, I am going to guess you'll go with any shiv. This is just whacked.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Larry wrote: "Oh yes, Mary, please keep your mouth shut."

Are you shushing me, Larry? Because I have a pair of scissors in my pocket. Think about it.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well I said that Mary 'cause I don't want you to get a cap in yo ass.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Shush Larry!! puh leeeze! :-)

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ...

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

:-)

message 49: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing Sally wrote: "I totally shush. Or rather, stand up and make teacher-ish comments like "I'm really enjoying watching this film, and would enjoy it more if I could hear it too."

People are so rude in this day..."

I only shush my freinds- or more, freind. I have only ever gone to the movies with one of my freinds. At one movie (I think it was the 6th Harry Potter one) I waved at the person who runs the movie projecter, and her got out a lazer pointer and started pointing it at the chair in front of me. He then proceded to point the lazer pointer at the screen.

message 50: by Félix (last edited Apr 12, 2010 09:39PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Get out. He did that really?

« previous 1