The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Gentleman Broncos

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1699 comments Mod
Has anyone seen it yet? Here's the synopsis:

Benjamin, home-schooled by his eccentric mother, is a loner whose passion for writing leads him on an journey as his story first gets ripped off by the legendary fantasy novelist, Ronald Chevalier, and then is adapted into a disastrous movie by the small town's most prolific homespun filmmaker.

Maybe we should make this a book club movie pick for the month! Anyone interested?

message 2: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Sounds intriguing! I vote yes!

message 3: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Jlawrence wrote: "Sounds intriguing! I vote yes!"

Plus, it stars Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords as the legendary fantasy author ;)

message 4: by Nicolespag (new)

Nicolespag | 2 comments I've had this movie in my netflix queue it seems like forever! It always is on low availability so I really hope they send it to me soon.

message 5: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Veronica wrote: "Jlawrence wrote: "Sounds intriguing! I vote yes!"

Plus, it stars Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords as the legendary fantasy author ;)"

OMG then I think it is REQUIRED viewing! :D

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Richardson | 4 comments It's $3.99 video on demand at amazon.com.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Littler (alittler) | 24 comments I saw it, it is absolutely obnoxious. The premise was great, but the rest was just trying too hard to look too much like Napoleon Dynamite

message 8: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 3 comments It was directed and written by the same guy who did Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre so its gonna have a similar style.
The movie was alright except for the toilet humor. If you dig that, then there's plenty of it to enjoy. There's enough B-movie sci fi to be a MOTM pick (including the serval renditions of it). Better than the 15% it has on Rotten Tomatoes. I'd give it maybe around upper 40%.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments Nothing in this movie was funny. You have to do some real bad filmmaking to waste Jemaine Clement, Sam Rockwell, and Jennifer Coolidge. I liked the title sequence though.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Littler (alittler) | 24 comments Wayne wrote: "It was directed and written by the same guy who did Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre so its gonna have a similar style.
The movie was alright except for the toilet humor. If you dig that, then th..."

Oh I know that, so some similar style of direction was excusable, but it seemed to try far too hard to get that 'b-movie' label that it almost seemed that looking like decent sci-fi would be easier

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Just came on Netflix, so I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow. You guys are lowering my expectations a bit! Uh oh!

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Watched the movie last night. Yeah, uhh... it wasn't very good. There were a few funny moments, and Chevalier was great, but otherwise I found it to be pretty boring and not very funny.

message 13: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Just watched it. Yeah, it was a great idea executed very poorly. I agree that Jermaine was pretty amusing as Chevalier, and that the title sequence was great (I even recognized one of the covers, from the Harlan Ellison-edited book 'Medea: Harlan's World'), but overall I found it mediocre to painful.

I thought the illicit romance story trailer shown before the Yeast Lords premier was funnier than all the film's attempts to depict amusingly-bad scenes from the Yeast Lords movie. Bummer!

message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric | 7 comments Watched it earlier today - it wasn't great, but I thought it was way better than Napoleon Dynamite (more relatable protagonist, at least). Rockwell and Clement both killed it, and I was quite amused by the concept of a "battle stag".

message 15: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln Braun (umbrau44) | 6 comments I had high hopes after the opening credits but it was mostly downhill after that.

It was strongly recommended to me by a coworker. To his credit, he did not say it was good, but that it was a must see for one who into science fiction.

The battle stags made me laugh but that was about it.