House of Stuart discussion

General > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 53 comments Mod
Recommend or request a book here!

message 2: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 4 comments So I have been away from HF for a few weeks or has it been months? Either way I'm now reading The French Mistress by Susan Holloway Scott. I'm not familiar with the Stuarts but am interested in Charles II and his sister Henriette, in TFM I felt so sorry for her and her cause was so worthy. Anyhow, I read the Duchess and thought she was a most hated mistress though she was an driven woman to be admired. I have the Kings Favorite to read next on Nell Gywn the actress Charles II favored.

message 3: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 4 comments Also I ordered from an inter library loan Royal Charles by A Frasier, supposedly a highly recommended book on Charles II

message 4: by CF (new)

^ Antonia Fraser is great. I am reading her book on Marie Antoinette right now. She goes into intense detail. I doubt you'll be disappointed with that one! =]

message 5: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 2 comments I just finished several books about Charles II reign. They were fabulous. THE KING'S FAVORITE, THE ROYAL HARLOT, THE COURTESAN & THE KING'S MISTAKE. I highly recommend all of these books.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments Antonia Fraser's "Mary Queen of Scots" is a must-read for Marians.

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:16PM) (new)

Andrea Zuvich (17thcenturylady) | 7 comments Hi everyone, I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I have been a member on this group for a long time now. My book, "His Last Mistress: The Duke of Monmouth and Lady Henrietta Wentworth" is on a Free Kindle promotion this week and since you all love the Stuarts as I do, it's probably up your street. All based on the historical record from 1675-1686. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks, and enjoy!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments Thanks for the heads up, Andrea! I have downloaded the Kindle version and will let you know what I think when I've read it. Read a lot about Charles and his court, but not particularly about Monmouth. Should be interesting.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Zuvich (17thcenturylady) | 7 comments Mary wrote: "Thanks for the heads up, Andrea! I have downloaded the Kindle version and will let you know what I think when I've read it. Read a lot about Charles and his court, but not particularly about Monmo..."
I'd appreciate that, thank you! :)

message 11: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 1 comments I recently read The Queen of Scots by Stefan Zweig, it's a really good biography about Mary.

message 12: by CF (new)

I just finished a book by an American, called Royal Affairs by Leslie Carroll, it chronicles all the known affairs and the impact they had on the monarchy. The Stuarts had some fascinating reveals, like I had no idea that James I & VI may have been gay. How interesting!