What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 1800s, Africa/India, young girl, long journey

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (mississippimama) When I was in junior high, about 20 years ago now, I read a novel about a young English girl, probably in her teens, who went either to Africa or India. I remember there was adventure and romance, and the edition I read was probably printed in the 70s. It was hardback with a dark green cover. It has a similar feel to "A Passage to India" or "The Jewel in the Crown," but I know it's neither of those. I wish I could offer more details! My girlfriends and I all read it, and checked it out of the children's/YA section of the public library, and I've always wanted to find it again. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

message 2: by J (new)

J (julip) | 57 comments I doubt that Agatha Christie would be in the Y.A. section, but "Man in the Brown Suit" is about a 19ish English girl whose father dies and she takes her only cash and boards a ship to Africa. She thinks she has a clue to solving a murder, and follows it on this journey. About three-fifths of the way through she ends up staying on an island with a man who is nursing her back to health after she was sent over a cliff "to her death". Adventure+Romance+Africa+English girl and I too read it first about 20 years ago also in Junior High.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (mississippimama) J wrote: "I doubt that Agatha Christie would be in the Y.A. section, but "Man in the Brown Suit" is about a 19ish English girl whose father dies and she takes her only cash and boards a ship to Africa. She t..."

I don't think that's it, but I'll check to see. Thanks!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Danielle, Please return and let us know. Thanks. Also, I'm sure members will continue to give their ideas.

message 5: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments I am reminded of an author I haven't thought about for years, Jean Bothwell. I wondered if this could be Star of India but that has a completely different plot. Could it be Mystery at the House of the Fish? That is about a 19 year old who accompanies her father to India to keep house for him, although I never read it so do not know any details.

You might also look up Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald, although that is an adult novel.

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments This has the feel of a Mary Stewartnovel, but I am not familiar with a particular story like this.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 800 comments Did she go to India or was she brought up there? I'm thinking of 'The Emerald Peacock' by Katherine Gordon.

message 8: by Callie (new)

Callie Summerlin | 7 comments Could it be A Great and Terrible Beauty? Not sure when it was published but it's about a girl living in British-colonized India who goes on a magical adventure type thing.

message 9: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments Callie - Great and Terrible Beauty was really recent, 2003

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Sadly Danielle is no longer in the group.