Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Breakfast > Barb whacks balls > Gail says oi

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
this beautiful breakfast on my reader today made me think:
Pre-pregnancy I was lucky if I chocked down a piece of fruit or some toast with my coffee. I never ate before noon. Now I HAVE TO EAT IT OR ELSE. I just do. I eat breakfast a lot, every day, and it has become routine. Do you have a morning routine that involves food? If so, what is it?

Do you eat it? What do you usually have?

I eat oatmeal nearly every day - sometimes with berries, sometimes with nuts and coconut, sometimes with butter and brown sugar. Lately I've been on a Cream of Wheat kick. (Sweeter calls it "nasty" so I only cook enough for me.)
Usually I also make a smoothie out of frozen fruit, yogurt, milk or juice, a bananna or two, and a scoop of protien powder.
Sometimes I have a bagel while the oats cook.

And I always brew a pot of tea - lately I'm liking jasmine green and black.

message 2: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments Miniwheats with coffee just about everyday.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It's funny you mention this...earlier today I watched The Greatest Thing I Ever Ate-Breakfast on the food network. They mentioned Anne Sather's in Chicago...that place does rock.

I usually drink coffee first, then go to the gym, then eat yogurt, a banana, and oatmeal. On weekends I mix it up a bit.

When I get to work I drink tea...I've cut way back on diet coke.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Nobody will survive me (including me) without breakfast.

If I'm going to the gym I have a handful of almonds or a tiny bowl of cereal, then work out, then have yogurt and fruit.

If I'm not going to the gym, usually cereal - either oatmeal or some combination of Joe's O's, granola, and grape nuts.

Weekends, sometimes hot breakfast, and coffee if I'm really lucky.

Quick quiz: Grape Nuts. Love 'em or hate 'em? I don't think there's an in between. I love them, but I grew up on them. Zu hates them and calls them Yuck Nuts, but she grew up on weird foreign cereals with similarly unappetizing names like Pro-Nutro.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

LOVE them. With yogurt so they don't get soggy. Can't do them with milk.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I only like Grape-Nuts with raisins, and I like to let them sit a minute to soak up some of the milk, or they're too crunchy/noisy in my head when I chew.

I have tea and oatmeal for breakfast on workdays. On weekends, I'll have something more elaborate, maybe some scrambled eggs with toast and orange juice. Or an english muffin with peanut butter on one half, and butter and jam on the other, and a banana on the side.

I've been meeting a friend for brunch on Sundays a lot, lately, and having things like French toast, or a feta, tomato, and avocado omelet. Yum!

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love Sunday brunches. You can have the avocado omelet, though.

Bluebery pancakes! Eggs benedict with crab cakes instead of Canadian bacon!

Coffee!!

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i need to have breakfast within 30 minutes or an hour after i wake up or else i get crazy hungry. my usual breakfast contains a book, tea, and two slices of bread with chocolate sprinkles. i don't like breakfast that has to be prepared, i don't have the energy to do that before i've had breakfast.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I cannot read anything but the newspaper first thing in the morning.

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i never have cheese for breakfast, that's reserved for lunch and beyond. when i'm feeling decadent i'll have bread with chocolate spread and chocolate sprinkles and hot chocolate with whipped cream and more sprinkles.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I had Nutella on toast a lot in France. Yum!
I can't keep that stuff in the house, though, or I eat it with a spoon.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Mmmmm...nutella crepes...good for any time of day.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love all these sprinkles for breakfast.

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty | 36 comments Sally, the same thing happened to me. I have never been a breakfast eater, but I had to have a chicken bicuit every morning of my pregnancy. Luckily, that craving ended as soon as the baby was born.

If I do have breakfast (on the weekends or whatever), brunch fare is what I want!

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Chicken biscuit! Like the crackers, or is this some kind of KFC confection?

I really hope that as soon as the baby is born coffee will start tasting good to me again. I miss it.

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty | 36 comments Ha! I haven't thought of those crackers in years! No, these were from a lil mom and pop's that's famous for biscuits around here. Kinda pricey, so it's a good thing I was able to quit :)

I tried to give up coffee because of the caffeine, but I caved. I gave up tea and Diet Coke and drank water the rest of the day. I still prefer water (yay!)

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

I drink caffeinated tea. My midwife says it is fine.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) My midwife tells me to avoid bourbon.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Your midwife told me to use duct tape on your face.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pie for breakfast. I like pi pie.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sally wrote: "Your midwife told me to use duct tape on your face."

Disturbed my seven year old laughing at that one...

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did you guys hear about that story that women who drink a little are less likely to gain weight than women who don't drink? Let me see if I can find it...

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Here we go:

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-h...

Click here to find out more!

New research found that women who drank the equivalent of one to two drinks a day were least likely to gain weight -- 30 percent less likely, in fact, than teetotalers.

Drink up, ladies!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, but don't drink your dinner. Be healthy, have a drink AND a salad. ;)

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Quick quiz: Grape Nuts. Love 'em or hate 'em?"

Grapes got nuts?

I'm a cereal guy. My day doesn't go right if I can't start it with a bowl of cereal while I read the morning paper. By the way, do you know how hard it can be to find cereal that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup?

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Very hard. Hence the grape nuts, which actually pass the five ingredient test too.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

I buy cereal in the organic/natural aisle for that very reason.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lots of those "Natural" cereals aren't much better, alas. Fewer preservatives but still loads of sugar. Still, your chances are better.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gross.

message 30: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Peanut butter on brown toast everyday, sometimes Nutella if my husband is having it, and always coffee.

message 31: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments peanutbutter and nutella, good choices!

message 32: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing I only realy have breakfast on weekends and fridays.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24255 comments Mod
Usually just coffee, unless I'm in a situation where everyone else is sitting down to breakfast, like in a restaurant, or at a hotel that serves complimentary breakfast. If I'm at such a hotel, and then going to an office, I'll take cereal/milk/fruit/bagel or whatever with me and eat it later.

If I were waking up and going on a hike, I would probably eat a breakfast for fuel.

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) A pot of French Roast and my great pancakes, or biscuits, or corn pone, and fruit. Newspaper, crossword puzzle, breakfast is my favorite meal.

message 35: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments cofffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

message 36: by ms.petra (last edited Nov 11, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) COFFEE is a must and yogurt every morning. I am loving Chobani greek yogurt right now. On really cold days, I bring a container of oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins added to eat before I head outside to my route. It fuels me up.
*also, I love breakfast for dinner!

message 37: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Coffee and that's it.

message 38: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Coffee with creamer or a homemade Chai latte.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't understand how you people who don't eat anything for breakfast survive past 9AM.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24255 comments Mod
We store something called calories (energy) in our cells. This keeps us alive and moving until our next meal.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like moving to my next meal.

message 42: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't understand how you people who don't eat anything for breakfast survive past 9AM."

agreed. I have to eat something in the morning.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm back to eating nothing until lunch. It is nauseating to get a few bites of oatmeal down with my coffee.

message 44: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) morning sickness?

message 45: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments If I eat anything but pure protein in the morning my blood sugar crashes and burns within an hour...then I'm left shaking, sweating, and wretching. If I do eat the protein, I'm absolutely worthless, I have no energy to speak til at least noon.
Coffee is my friend!

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

By the way, LG is the master of reviving dead threads.

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

You'll pick up a whack?

message 48: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've never picked up a whack. I've whacked a ball...

message 49: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Sounds like you have a few too many men Barb.

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Tell 'em Barb.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.