Between the Wars discussion

Favorite Books by Persephone Publishers?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments So far, I only have "Miss Pettigrew" and, while I would love to get more, the cost is a bit prohibitive at present. Still, I'd like to grow my list for the times I can find a good used copy cheap or else save up for Christmas lists for the ones direct from the publisher. Any favorites you'd recommend??? :-)

message 2: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments I loved Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski (spelling?) Many of the Persephones are dark books and then one leans that way, but it is very good. The lead character was a man, which many Persephs I have read are not, so I liked the change.

Are you on their mailing list? They send a nice catalog twice a year maybe?

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments No, I'm not on the mailing list. Is it free? If so, I'll have to sign up ;-)

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Kathryn, yes the mailing list is free and they will send you a beautiful catalogue! There is also an email list and blog you can sign up for which is where I received the Mother's Day special.

I've read a few of their books but you'll have to check my Persephone-Virago bookshelf because I can't remember the titles. They were all very good though.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments Thanks, Lee :-)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan I just finished The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett and really enjoyed it(Persephone addition). It was much more of a "modern novel" then I had expected-dealing with women and spinsterhood/poverty and domestic violence. I also have Miss Pettigrew lives for a day to read and The Priory all from Persephone and am looking forward to a little downtime and ability to read for pleasure!

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) The Book Depository has some Persephone books at pretty good prices and they ship worldwide for FREE!!!

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments Ooo! Thanks, Lee! I will have to check that out.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lee, I'll have a look :D

message 10: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Hi,I managed to get a copy of SOMEONE AT A DISTANCE.Yeah,as I have been having a really difficult time getting hold of them.I pounced on this one by Dorothy Whipple as it just arrived in to a secondhand Bookshop that I go to....
Has anyone read it?

message 11: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
I don't know it. Let us know how it is, DJ.

message 12: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Will do Gabriele....It is very difficult to get these second hand indeed....
Hope this finds you well?

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments DJ wrote: "Hi,I managed to get a copy of SOMEONE AT A DISTANCE.Yeah,as I have been having a really difficult time getting hold of them.I pounced on this one by Dorothy Whipple as it just arrived in to a secon..."

I read it earlier this year and loved it. Beautifully written, well drawn characters and though some of the ideas seem a bit dated now it was still a very moving story. I never seem to have any trouble accepting behaviours of the past, if you know what I mean. I never find myself saying, "I would NEVER react that way or sit still for that, etc." I am happy to let the characters react appropriately for the time and then reflect on how nice it generally is to have more choices. I do hope you like it.

message 14: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "DJ wrote: "Hi,I managed to get a copy of SOMEONE AT A DISTANCE.Yeah,as I have been having a really difficult time getting hold of them.I pounced on this one by Dorothy Whipple as it just arrived i..."

That's good to hear, Heather. I find it irritating when readers only filter things through modern eyes, without realizing that people/characters behave within the realities of their era.

message 15: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Heather wrote: "DJ wrote: "Hi,I managed to get a copy of SOMEONE AT A DISTANCE.Yeah,as I have been having a really difficult time getting hold of them.I pounced on this one by Dorothy Whipple as it just arrived i..."

Thanks Heather...And I never judge characters actions either ;-)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good DJ :D I think I've had my fill of Persephone books lately, but SAAD does look interesting (pretty cover too, which is important when it comes to Persephone books).

message 17: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I will let you know how it goes Lauren and it is always a benefit when books have wonderful covers....

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Secondhand bookshops are my favourite shops of all. So many, so cheap, and usually in great condition. I don't really shop in places like Waterstones anymore because I found I was paying hefty prices usually for disappointing books.

How did that other book-shopping trip go, for antique books! I remember you saying you were going :)