Children's books fan club discussion

What is your favourite children's book? And why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Olive (new)

Olive O'Brien | 26 comments Mod
Mine has to be "I am David" by Anne Holm. I read it when I was 10 years old and I was engrossed by the story and the character of "David." I probably read it about 30 times in the same year. One of the classics and it still stands the test of time, like so many other great children's books.
Olive

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments One of the books that springs to mind for me is "The Faraway Tree" - It's one of those books that fuels the imagination to the highest degree! A part of me still thinks that Moon-Face exists. In terms of a book addiction - Nancy Drew would have been one of the main series of books that I used to love to read on a regular basis. The mobile library that visited our primary school used to have most of the series, so I used to search the back of the bus every week for a copy and any time I found a book in the series that I hadn't read yet, I used to get such a thrill!

Róisín

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwartz (banocanut) | 1 comments I loved the book, "The Adventures of Johnny Chuck" by Thornton W. Burgess. First off a book staring animals, so you can not go wrong. Also it combined humor, adventure, and education about wildlife. Looking back I would say this book has had a big impact on the novels I write now.

message 4: by Olive (new)

Hi Róisín,
Oh yeah, The Faraway Tree. Still one of my favourites, it really captured my imagination:)
Olive

message 5: by Olive (new)

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your comment:) I have to say I didn't read "The Adventures of Johnny Chuck," but as you say, when a book combines adventure, education about wildlife and humour, you can't wrong really!

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments I began I Am David when I was young, but I don't think I finished it - I must revisit it! I have never the Johnny Chuck story either. Hearing about adventure, animals and humour reminds me of Roald Dahl with giraffe and pelly or "The Enormous Crocodile" - How the ending of that story used to terrify me!

message 7: by Olive (new)

Check out I am David, it probably is a crossover book, as in for adults as well as kids, kind of like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments I definitely will. I'm not sure why I never finished it. Maybe as a result of the aforementioned Nancy Drew craze. I just searched to see if there is an I am David movie and there was one released around 2003.

message 9: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (toonkate2010) | 5 comments "I love the book called the Secret Garden even though I'm not even hallf way done with it!"

message 10: by Olive (new)

Hi Kaitlyn,
Thanks for your comment:)
The Secret Garden is one of my favourite books too, it's a great classic. Definitely one of the books I remember from my childhood, but also one of those books that adults can read too.

message 11: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (toonkate2010) | 5 comments Ya!

message 12: by MDay (new)

MDay (moderndaystoryteller) | 2 comments I loved The Secret Garden too. But my favourite has to be The BFG by Roald Dahl. In fact, I love all his books, including Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and The Witches. Wicked sense of humor, very clever.

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments The film adaptations usually do Dahl's books justice too - Can't go wrong with Gene Wilder or Anjelica Huston. As for The Secret Garden, I'm sure there was a BBC version I used to watch!

message 14: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (toonkate2010) | 5 comments I loved also Charlie and the chocolate factory too by ronald dahl in fact, I read it last year.

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments The Glass Elevator was good too - I used to love the Vermicious Knids. Apparently there's going to be a chocolate factory theme park in Amsterdam in 2013. Hopefully with a chocolate river included!

message 16: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (toonkate2010) | 5 comments Ya that would be cool!

message 17: by MDay (new)

MDay (moderndaystoryteller) | 2 comments The Vermicious Knids were great! I often wondered why they made Charlie & Choc Factory into film, but never Charlie & The Glass Elevator?

message 18: by ♥The Kat's Meow♥ (last edited Mar 15, 2010 10:09PM) (new)

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) I have a ton of favorite children's books. But, I can probably narrow it down to a few...
Picture Books
Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth The Three Questions by Jon J. Muth The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright Edith and Mr. Bear A Lonely Doll Story by Dare Wright
Tween Book
Bound Girl of Cobble Hill by Lois Lenski The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4) by Robert Arthur The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11) by Robert Arthur
Young Adult
[image error] New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer

message 19: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments Karen, I just did a bit of Google investigation and apparently "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) angered Dahl so much that he refused to allow the producers to adapt the sequel".
I also never knew this: "Dahl began making a third book, which was to be titled 'Charlie in the White House' but only left the first chapter".

message 20: by Olive (new)

Hey Karen, Rose & Kaitlyn,
Am a big Roald Dahl fan too, bought all his books when I was a kid and read them hundreds of times. What an imagination he had, and his books really stand the test of time. It had the right mixture of fantasy and horror at times, I remember being terrified of "The Witches." Georges Marvellous Medicine is one of my faves. Had heard that Dahl wasn't keen on the movie version of The Chocolate Factory, but had no idea that he denied permission to adapt the sequel! It's a pity that he didn't get to finish his third one, I'm sure it would have been another amazing book.

message 21: by Olive (new)

Hi Kathryn,
Thanks for visiting:) I haven't seen "Zen Shorts" it looks great, I must check it out. I know it's pretty hard to narrow down favourite children's books. There are so many and they are so varied!

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) My favorite quote: "He spoke with a slight panda accent." Too cute.

message 23: by Olive (new)

That is cute:)

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Lauro (michaeldilauro) | 3 comments While I like just about anything by Dr. Seuss, I'd have to say my favourite is Cat in the Hat. Why? I love the rhymes, the cheekiness of that mischievous cat and, of course, the illustrations. But I mostly love the book because it reminds of a time, all those years ago, when I'd read it to my children.

message 25: by Olive (new)

Good choice Michael:) The illustrations are amazing.

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) Michael, I like your "cheekiness of that mischievous cat" turn of phrase. [Insert grin here:].

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Lauro (michaeldilauro) | 3 comments Thanks Kathryn,
That cat is definitely my favourite character in all of childrens' book-dom.
Which reminds me.. After I read the story to our youngest (then perhaps 3 or 4) I asked what he'd say to us if he had been visited by that cat.
He thought about it, then replied, "Oh, I'd tell you that you really wouldn't want to know."

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) LOL.
Kids say fun and interesting things. My son's favorite Dr. Suess book is the Lorax. My youngest daughter loves Yertle the Turtle, and my oldest daughter thought Fox in Sox was the bees knees. (Do bees have knees?)
My favorite story is about Theodor Seuss Geisel himself: after a heart attack, he found a pipe he used decades before, stuffed radish seeds in the bowl, and watered them with an eye dropper.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Lauro (michaeldilauro) | 3 comments So he was, in real life, as whimsical as his books!

message 30: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments I remember having The Enormous Turnip read to me quite a bit, so I must have liked it a lot. The Runaway Pancake, however, is still a horror story as far as I'm concerned!

message 31: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) My absolute favorite children's novel is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! My favorite picture book is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. These inspired my first children's novel. I think I must have a sweet tooth! I just had my first child in July and can not wait until she can read these herself!

message 32: by Olive (new)

@Crystal; Definitely with you on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and yes I think you may have a sweet tooth (a bit like myself!)

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments It's amazing how many people list Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as one of their favourites - No wonder it is a bestseller :) Chocolate and adventure must be a winning formula!

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) Hello Olive, Crystal, and Rose.
Just out of curiosity, why is Clarlie and the Chocolate Factory so beloved? What magic does it hold for you? I want to share it with my kidlets, and it shall be more rewarding seasoned with your insight.

message 35: by Olive (new)

Hi Kathryn,
I think it's a couple of factors for me. Firstly, it's very well-written. Also, for children, the idea of everything being made out of chocolate and sweets seems too good to be true! Finally, I was obsessed with the idea of a golden ticket in a chocolate bar, that would earn you a free pass into the biggest chocolate factory in the world, I thought that every chocolate bar I opened would have a golden ticket in it! I guess it just had everything; magic, fantasy, amazing colourful characters and there was a moral behind the story, that children will pick up on.

message 36: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) Kathryn wrote: "Hello Olive, Crystal, and Rose.
Just out of curiosity, why is Clarlie and the Chocolate Factory so beloved? What magic does it hold for you? I want to share it with my kidlets, and it shall be mo..."
It is the magic of giving freely to a poor boy who very much deseved it. It
is the books ability to transport its contents to me. It is the uplifting spirit of the book that lasts long after you are done reading it! Oh yes, and it is the candy!

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) Crystal wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Hello Olive, Crystal, and Rose.
Just out of curiosity, why is Clarlie and the Chocolate Factory so beloved? What magic does it hold for you? I want to share it with my kidlets, and..."

Well, yeah... What's not to love about candy! Thanks for your perspective.

message 38: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) Your welcome mmmm now I want candy.

message 39: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (vasilly) Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is the book that made me a reader. I loved reading about Alexander's day because bad days happens to all of us. But the children's book that I love the most is Trina Schart Hyman's retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Her retelling is one that isn't dumb down to children. Between the words and the beautiful illustrations, I just feel in love the first time I read it, which was as an adult.

message 40: by Olive (new)

Hi Natasha,
Little Red Riding Hood is one of my favourite tales too:)

message 41: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) One other author I really enjoy is Barbara Robinson. The Best Worst Christmas Pageant Ever, Halloween Ever, and School Year Ever. Anyone else enjoy her books?

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments @Kathryn For me, it was the imagery, the characters, the sweets and chocolate and just the magic of it all. He sort of creates definitive characters - No two are the same. He then surrounds them in, as the song in the film states, a "world of pure imagination"! While you are reading the book, you actually feel like you are being brought on a tour of the factory as part of the group of winners. Like Olive, I used to really love the part when he opened the chocolate bar wrapper. I also loved the lickable wallpaper, the chocolate river and, of course, the Oompa Loompas! It's absolutely worth the read.

♥The Kat's Meow♥ (mamakat) I can "see" what you mean. Thank your for you eloquent insight. ;->

message 44: by Ronyell (last edited Jun 28, 2010 12:18AM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 12 comments I have a bunch of favorite children's books, so I'll list as much as I can:

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak The Fool and the Flying Ship (Rabbit Ears A Classic Tale) by Eric Metaxas Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood Rude Giants by Audrey Wood The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship A Russian Tale by Arthur Ransome Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl

There's more, but that's just a brief list of books I love!

message 45: by Olive (new)

@Ronyell; A great list again! My favourite probably has to be Where The Wild Things Are by Sendak; I really like the underlying message. And I was so glad that they did a good job in translating the book to the big screen:)

message 46: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 12 comments Oh yes!! I loved Where the Wild Things Are because the illustrations were just gorgeous, especially during the scene where Max and the wild things were dancing around the forest. I saw the movie and I thought it was a bit dark, but it was an alright movie for me.

message 47: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments Ronyell wrote: "Oh yes!! I loved Where the Wild Things Are because the illustrations were just gorgeous, especially during the scene where Max and the wild things were dancing around the forest. I saw the movie a..."

It's amazing the way illustrations can capture exactly how you imagine the characters to be - The movie was definitely one of the best adaptations I've seen in a while!

message 48: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 12 comments @Rose,
Yeah, I did like the movie somewhat because even though it was dark, it could have been worse like what happened to The Cat in the Hat.

message 49: by Rose (new)

Rose | 27 comments Ronyell wrote: "it could have been worse like what happened to The Cat in the Hat"

Or Tim Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - In some ways it was far more accurate (in terms of being loyal to the Dahl's original story), but Gene Wilder will always be the perfect Willy Wonka - He had that effortless, if somewhat creepy comedy perfected :)

I couldn't face watching the Nancy Drew adaptation, as it looked pretty dodgy from what I could tell by the advertising campaign around its release!

message 50: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 12 comments @Rose,
Yeah, I didn't like the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory either. I like Johnny Depp and all, but he didn't feel right playing Willy Wonka at all and I always liked the Gene Wilder version much better.

« previous 1