Chicks On Lit discussion

Just for Fun > Page 46

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duy (new)

Duy | 50 comments This is a cool discussion that another of my groups is doing and I thought it would be fun to start it here. Here's how it works:

Tkae the book you are currently reading and turn to page 46. Go five lines down the page and type in as much text as you want to give everyone else a feel for the book you are reading.

Anyone game for this?

message 2: by Duy (new)

Duy | 50 comments For example:

from Kiss my Tiara:

"We accepted these contradictions unquestioningly, the same way we accepted all those ridiculous advertisements instructing us to make sure we had that "fresh all day, feminine feeling." (Whatever the hell that meant. One of my friends one actually used feminine-deodorant spray on her armpits). And if we had a fair dose of traditional religion growing up, well, that just complicated things even further. As a friend of mine put it: There's nothing quite like the possibility of burning in hell to put the kabash on enthusiastic self-love."

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments From The Lost Symbol

"A secret lab in a secret museum, she thought, inserting her key card in the Pod 5 door. The keypad lit up, and Katherin typed her PIN. The steel door hissed open. The familiar hollow moan was accompanied by the same blast of cold air. As always, Katherine felt her pulse rate start to climb. Strangest commute on earth."

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments From How Sweet It Is:
"I have never liked pig's feet, and I don't know why she doesn't remember that. Perhaps she thinks that for some reason they will taste more agreeable to me at this elevation. I expect to hear her tell me to sit up straight, and as we talk, my shoulders do rise and I stick out my chest.
"Sit up straight," my mother once told me when I was growing up. "You don't want to become hunched over. My aunt Lavonna Dewanna was such a hunchback."
I never heard the rest of her reminiscing because I couldn't believe that anyone would be named Lavonna Dewanna. I asked if that really was her name, and my mother said, "Yes, but we called her La De."
"La De!" I laughed so hard that I rolled off the bed. I was only six, but after seeing my mother's expression, I knew that I would never joke about her aunt La De again. Apparently, mom didn't think there was anything funny at all about her aunt's name.

message 5: by Britt☮ (last edited Mar 10, 2010 09:05PM) (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) I'm reading In Her Name: Legend of the Sword on my Kindle, so I went to 46% since there are no page numbers. Hope that's ok!

"Beside him, Korolev could not help but smile as he looked at the icons representing the seventy-three ships of his planet's secretly built navy, including thirty-eight powerful heavy cruisers, all armed with highly advanced nuclear-tipped torpedoes. Carefully concealed in deep fissures in the small moon's surface, they were perfectly positioned for a surprise attack on the Confederation task force."

message 6: by Duy (new)

Duy | 50 comments thats fine Britt :)

Cindy yours was very interesting!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments This is a cute book Duygu with just enough seriousness to make it interesting!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Golding (huggable) The words hurt. But again, he thought he heard something in her tone, as if she were saying it to convince herself. He stopped and gnetly took her shoulders in his hands, making her face him. The fading sunlight reflected in her eyes as he spoke.
If your're happy, Allie, and you love him, I won't try to stop you from going back to him.

The Notebook

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise ..."paper that they have boys' winter coats, regularly thirty dollars each, for only five. Today only, while supplies last. Bring me the medium, whatever color they have. I don't care. Sandy, you take Linda with you and hurry over to skirts...Pamela, see if you can find your father a new...I'll meet you kids in men's wear. Dad needs some khakis..."

from An Open Book: Coming of Age in the Heartland An Open Book Coming of Age in the Heartland by Michael Dirda by Michael Dirda

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 28 comments "The truth is that I was worried in the beginning. I wanted you to come with me, but I didn't want you to tell peoople about yourself. I wanted you to hide your childhood, lie about it, even though I hate lies -- and you never learned how. I was afraid they would reject you. I know how it feels, and I didn't want you to be hurt that way. But I was afraid for myself, too. I was afraid they would reject me for bringing you, and I didn't want to go through that kind of thing again. Yet I couldn't bear to think of living without you. I didn't know what to do."
The Plains of Passage - The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4) by Jean M. Auel

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Tanya wrote: ""The truth is that I was worried in the beginning. I wanted you to come with me, but I didn't want you to tell peoople about yourself. I wanted you to hide your childhood, lie about it, even tho..."

I knew a lady once who never read anything ever except these books. It's kinda weird right? After high school she only read these books, one after the other, again and again. I teased her, calling them her "cavemen books". Yet I believe they must be at least, "okay", 'cos I still see them everywhere and at least one movie has been made from them. What is it that you yourself like about them?

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 386 comments Getting ready to read Romancing Miss Bronte by Juliet Gael...

Anne motioned to the sofa. "Come sit back down. It's all right. She'll get over it."
Charlotte's hands were trembling as she picked up her needle.
Anne asked, "Do you really think it merits publication?"
"She hasn't shared it with you?"
"No. Not in years."
"It was completely unlike anything I've ever read - certainly it's nothing like the sort of feeble, soppy poetry women generally write. Really, it was quite extraordinary, and powerful."
Anne thought quietly for a moment and then said, "You should trust your judgement, Tally."
"But she's so frightfully stubborn. She always opposes me. Even when I have her best intersts at heart."
"You know how to win her over. You'll think of a way."

message 13: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey She shrugged. Her face was bright with colour and life now. "Okay. Lots of stares. A lot of stares. Lots of questions about where we were. Whispering."

From Vampire Academy

message 14: by Mary (last edited Jan 22, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments "But Brant didn't know where to take his insinuation from there; he was just testing my mettle. He dropped the suitcase, catching it by the handle just before it hit the floor. He swung it around, missing my face by inches, then carried it into the lobby and up the stairs."

From The Haunting of L

message 15: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 348 comments "hit shows had gone from the top to the bottom faster than anyone could blink."
Sisters

message 16: by Sherin (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 3158 comments "In fact, it was doubtful whether some of the Pyes had any affections to win; but Anne hoped better things of Anthony, who looked as if he might be a rather nice boy if one ever got behind his sullenness.

When school was dismissed and the children had gone Anne dropped wearily into her chair. Her head ached and she felt woefully discouraged. There was no real reason for discouragement, since nothing very dreadful had occurred; but Anne was very tired and inclined to believe that she would never learn to like teaching. And how terrible it would be to be doing something you didn't like every day for . . . well, say forty years."

From Anne of Avonlea

message 17: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (awaken80) | 353 comments Kate stopped and stared up at the giant gas cells, the bottoms of which hung shimmering not twenty feet above our heads.

"They're beautiful," she exclaimed in delight. "What are they made of?"
"It's called goldbeater's skin."
"What a wonderful name."
"It's membrane from cows' intestines, actually. Specially treated to make it impermeable to gas."

This didn't seem to revolt her in the slightest. "It must have taken a great many cows," she commented solemnly.

From "Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel