Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are you ever too old to...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 08, 2010 10:22PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments The other day I saw a photograph of Ivana Trump who is in her young 60's, in a tube top, short short jumper type deal and super high heals in one of those illustrious tabloids, and of course, she was in the 'Don't' column. Well it got me thinking, although I thought to myself "what was she thinking?" and that I personally would not be caught dead in that get up now let alone in my 60's, it did make me wonder, 'who cares'?

So my question is are there things that we just shouldn't do once we hit a certain age. For example: Get random piercings? Tattoos? Eccentric hair colors and cuts? Go bungee jumping? Wear tube top, short short jumpers with stilettos. Take pole dancing classes. Try to funnel a beer with the local softball team in the Stop and Shop parking lot after the spring tournament win? Sunbath nude? I don't know, I am just throwing out a few? Any thoughts? Are there rules to age or lot in life, like after you become a parent or dependent upon what kind of job you may have, are you restricted, OR should you just be able to live the way it makes you happy?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Eh. Tube tops and short-shorts are beyond me at 46 but to each his own.

I will admit to relentless mocking, however. Relentless.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 08, 2010 11:06PM) (new)

Why not bungee jump? You only live once!
As to the rest, I want to grow old gracefully, and with a little dignity.
Can't see that happening with tat's, piercings, & a boob-tube etc.

I don't mind if others do it. But do they have to take pictures? Blah.

message 4: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Personally, (and this does not preclude the mocking) I truly believe if it makes you happy go for it. Whatever flips your skirt! :)

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I say wear whatever you want, whenever you want. Maybe you should go slow on the risky behaviors if you have kids but otherwise, who cares?

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think after age fifteen you should never wear a team jersey with someone else's name on your back.

I think after age forty you should not date women/men under 25. Who are you kidding? And don't give me that "age is nothing but a number" thing.

Ok, maybe there are exceptions. But i can't think of any.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Try to funnel a beer with the local softball team in the Stop and Shop parking lot after the spring tournament win?

This made me laugh, by the way. Personal experience, Cam?

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Mar 09, 2010 04:55AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments I'm a firm believer that no one over the age of 30 should be sporting a backward ball cap, using the word "dude," or wearing shorts during the winter.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
There is no age limit on nude sunbathing.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Clark, you're harshing my buzz, dude.

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:47AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Sorry, dude... I guess you can get away with shorts in the winter in SC.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "There is no age limit on nude sunbathing."

It's true.

message 13: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Nah, I only wear shorts in the winter at home.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The shorts in the winter throws me, too. I wear shorts in the winter sometimes. I'm impervious to much cold.

And I agree with you on the backward baseball hat thing, except when I'm working out and want the hair out of my eyes.

message 15: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Don't be silly now, is there ever an age limit on nude 'anything' ? :O (although this brings to mind an elderly gentlemen I saw at the beach sitting spread eagle in his overly streched out speedo that was gapping in ALL the wrong placs, I know not tecn nude, but might as well have been. I could have lived w/out that !)

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You didn't have to look. Nobody made you look.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

That made me think you were the nude elderly gentleman Larry.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't know where you got that.

message 19: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments For the record: I glanced, there was NO looking! And good point Larry, my bad. Although I would NEVER have called you elderly, according to Jim and some experience he has had with you, he is suggesting you cover up :)

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jim?

message 21: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments You're never to old to die! ;)

That considered, I think anything else is OK by me.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm not sure there's an age limit on tube tops so much as a general restriction. In my experience, most people who think they can get away with wearing a tube top cannot.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Jim?"

It was just the way you responded to Cambridge that she didn't have to look. For the record I have no personal experience of looking at Larry spread eagle clothed or not. I wouldn't call you elderly either Larry, your response just struck me funny. Time for more coffee I guess.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

But for the record Larry, I always think of you as a gentleman.

message 25: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I am so glad Jim and Larry kissed and made up (i think they did anyway) Larry? haha ;)

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's cool, Ms. Troublemaker.

message 27: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments What? Jim was the was one looking up your shorts ;) haha

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me make this perfectly clear, I never had sexual relations with that man :-)

message 29: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I'm not sure there's an age limit on tube tops so much as a general restriction. In my experience, most people who think they can get away with wearing a tube top cannot."

i can! i can! i just read up on my tube top knowledge on wikipedia. the first one was made because of a mistake!

message 30: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Oh my G-d if looking is sexual relations I am in a WORLD OF HURT!

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Cambridge wrote: "Oh my G-d if looking is sexual relations I am in a WORLD OF HURT!"

I would be too, just responding to msg#25.

ETA OK a little over responding.

message 32: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Clark wrote: "I'm a firm believer that no one over the age of 30 should be sporting a backward ball cap, using the word "dude," or wearing shorts during the winter."

How do you define "winter?" It's going to be 79 degrees here tomorrow. And we generally are at 80 on Thanksgiving. Old people wear shorts around here practically the entire year and look just fine!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No one should wear tube tops. Ever. Okay? Good.

I am thankful to be old enough to ignore whatever the fashion trend is of the moment, and NOT buy the skinny leg jeans (which look bad on just about everyone), or the chartreuse colored sweaters, just because that's what's in right now. Woo!

I hate needles, so piercing and tattooing were already out for me. As is anything extreme with hair. Maybe when I'm older, and grayer, I'll experiment. :)

I also don't want to go "clubbing." I'm very happy at home on my couch on weekend nights, thanks!

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

I wear tube tops in the summer, when sunbathing or reading in the backyard. I have a couple tubetopish swimsuit tops too. >: I'm going to continue to wear them, no matter what you hecklers say.

message 35: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 04:46PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I am unfamiliar with the word 'tubetopish', I think I will need to see photos to confirm :)

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Me too.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (last edited Mar 09, 2010 04:49PM) (new)

Y'all have seen this before:

Photobucket

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh wait, wrong picture.

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Photobucket

message 40: by Rannie (new)

Rannie OK, this picture screams for a caption.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments "Muffins looked up nervously as Sally discussed the personal check payment for the kitty grooming"

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

HUMO! That is Humo, my little man who just left this earth not even a month ago.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

But LOL nonetheless, Kevin.

message 44: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Several thoughts here: A. That is not a tube top Or tube topish more like strapless tank and totally acceptable. Tube top would only cover the 'tubes' and reveal all else. 2. I am dying to know what all those 'printed cards are in the box' and c. Picture 2 is WAY better than picture 1, phew :) and z. Whoooo hooooo you are wielding some crazy ass scissors, but they match your outfit splendidly :)

message 45: by Sally, la reina (last edited Mar 09, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Huh, I never noticed the scissor matching. We had TONS of pairs of scissors around the house that summer.

We made our programs by hand, and they doubled as seating assignments, so they were personalized. It took us about a month to cut each fan blade out by hand, even before the assembling process began. That might explain my look of mania.

The tubes were well covered.

I call that a tube top, but I remember the early 80s so I know what kind of top to which you refer.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments real tube tops let the fat rolls sag out the bottom and show the tattoo on your shoulder

message 47: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:23PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I wasn't going to mention the inevitable fat rolls. They coincide with 'the muffin top' as similar fashionistas seem to flaunt them both, not necessarily at the same time, but definitely possibly.

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments right and the tattoo is a NASCAR number

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "right and the tattoo is a NASCAR number"

Which number?

message 50: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments C'mon Larry, that was a softball, I refuse to knock that one out of the park :D

« previous 1