Q&A Peter Straub discussion

The Time Matter

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 1 comments Hey Peter, I've been a fan of your work since reading The Talisman in middle school, followed in short order by Koko and Julia.

A recurring motif in your work is for some past sin or mistake to come back and haunt the present. Over the course of your career, those sins have ranged in time from the First World War in Shadowlands, to slightly-before-the-present in Julia. How exactly do you go about choosing the proper time for your stories? Is there a particular reason you chose 1966 for the flashbacks in The Dark Matter, instead of '64 or '68?

Thanks for all the great books.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter | 5 comments Mod
Hi, Sean. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work. I was looking for a year in which the anti-war feeling and susceptibility to grandiose frauds would be warming up, but before the anti-Vietnam war and anti-draft feeling really boiled over, in 1968. I graduated from Madison in 1965, when things were getting very divisive and passionate. A year later, protests and rallies were taking place every week, so I set the book in that year.