Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Audio CDs listed; should I take an activist role or leave it alone?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evan (new)

Evan | 14 comments I was looking up a book about African musician Fela Kuti and noticed someone or something had listed a bunch of Kuti's audio music CDs. This is not the first time I've run across music CDs here. It does not, at present, seem to be a major problem. But as a librarian should I go ahead and delete this or just let them slide for now?

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments I believe that audio CDs are supposed to be NAB'd if they have an ISBN. If they don't they're supposed to be deleted. (If I'm remembering right.)

message 3: by Evan (new)

Evan | 14 comments I see this term "NAB'd" all over and haven't a clue what it's supposed to mean.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
"Someone" is Amazon. And deleting them therefore won't help; they need to be NAB'd.

Lots of fun "authors" on this one: http://tinyurl.com/ybxhl2f

message 5: by Evan (new)

Evan | 14 comments I'm going to NAB a few winks then and let someone else do it until someone speaks ingles.

message 6: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Evan see this thread on how to use NAB (i.e., NOT A BOOK).

message 7: by Evan (new)

Evan | 14 comments Right, links to the same thing I said in my first post, in case you read.

message 8: by Evan (new)

Evan | 14 comments OK, so if someone lists a brand of deodorant here, I'm supposed to say "Not a Book" instead of just getting rid of it. Makes perfect sense.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Evan wrote: "Right, links to the same thing I said in my first post, in case you read."

*blink* Did you provide a link? I didn't see one.

message 10: by Evan (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Evan | 14 comments Fela Kuti, said I.

Your link was to Fela Kuti.

1 + 1.

message 11: by Evan (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:28PM) (new)

Evan | 14 comments So is the upshot, then, that if Amazon has generated a listing it can't be gotten rid of? If so, I'm done.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Evan, if the 'object' has an ISBN and we simply get rid of it - IT WILL COME BACK. So we keep the ISBN and Not A Book it, then it CAN'T come back.

Therefore nice, neat, clean, beautiful database.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Not in the manual just yet. I only just got home! ;)

Probably in a couple hours.

message 14: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments OK, I deleted any of the CD's that no longer had an entry in Amazon (I searched on each ISBN to ensure they did not re-import), merged the funky authors with NAB, and normal NAB'd the one that did still have an entry.

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Thanks Dori! = )