Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Mary's Romantic Suspense Novels > Wind Off the Small Isles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 31 comments This book, though written in the 1960s, was new for me. It's very short, about 95 pages. It's set on the eastern-most island of the Canary Islands, which is virtually made of lava and has very few trees or vegetation other than cacti. This is a story about a pair of lovers who ran away together in 1875, and another couple of young people who meet on the same spot. If you can find it, it's worth a read.

message 2: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Oooh, thanks for sharing. I can just imagine a MS heroine in high heels trying to negotiate a lava field.....

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie | 58 comments I've never even heard of this book! I thought I had read all of her books at least twice! I'll have to go looking for it.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 8 comments this story/novella was published in Good Housekeeping Magazine in the states, I remember ripping it out, late 60s early 70s. I'd like to find it now!

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments This book is virtually impossible to find, or extremely expensive. I'd love to read it, too.

message 6: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I might try for an ILL and see if I get lucky.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 52 comments sounds interesting...but not affordable!!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Anyone else had any luck finding this?

message 9: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I think I put it on my WL at paperbackswap but that's as far as I've tried. Might try for an ILL one of these days.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Misfit wrote: "I think I put it on my WL at paperbackswap but that's as far as I've tried. Might try for an ILL one of these days."

LOL - I've got it on my WL at paperbackswap too! May the best man win!

message 11: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Susie wrote: "this story/novella was published in Good Housekeeping Magazine in the states, I remember ripping it out, late 60s early 70s. I'd like to find it now!"

This should be available in a library then -- someone on library staff should be able to help you locate it and make a copy for you to read.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Dottie wrote: "Susie wrote: "this story/novella was published in Good Housekeeping Magazine in the states, I remember ripping it out, late 60s early 70s. I'd like to find it now!"

This should be available in a..."

If anyone finds the Good Housekeeping issue date, please post it here. I would really like to get a hold of this.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments I just received my order of this book in the mail this week! I managed to find a copy that wasn't going to cost like 300$. I had no idea this was such a rare book. But it is such a lovely story - so lovely yet so sad.

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments Where did you find it, Laura? I have looked everywhere. I found an old book store here in town and the owner said he thinks he has a box of old Mary Stewart books somewhere in his back room. You should see his back room...books and boxes of books stacked to the ceiling! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will find them.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments I ordered it off Abe Books. The copy I got was about 30$ including shipping. Which considering how hard it is to come by, I thought it was pretty good.

Not like some of her other books. My mother has an obsession with buying me copies of Mary Stewart books when she sees them second hand and as a result I have at least ten copies of Thornyhold! That one seems to show up everywhere.

message 16: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments I know what you mean about Thornyhold, I find that one all the time in thrift stores. I recently found "Rose Cottage" and am reading it now.

Not sure I am willing to pay $30 for a book, so the search continues.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments I'm still searching for the magazine issue that The Wind off the Small Isles appeared in. Anyone have any luck finding?

message 18: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Apparently not :)

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments I checked at my local library to see if they had back copies in microfiche or something like that, but sadly they only keep 6 issues worth of current copies and then discard them.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Bummer. I really, really want to find this short story, but I refuse to pay the exhorbitant amount for it that the used book sellers want.

Will keep looking...

message 21: by Laura (new)

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 52 comments I just joined this group and I will ask them if someone has a copy.

message 23: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Hannah, have you tried interlibrary loan on the off chance there is a lib in the US that has it?

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Thanks Laura and Misfit!

message 25: by CLM (new)

CLM | 11 comments If I can find my photocopy it could be circulated within the group.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 52 comments From Gentle Romance: "I saw your message and looked on both of my booksites and they are on a
long wish list line. If you want the sites I can give them to you, but
it requires posting to the site. If you want me to I can put them on my
wish list, but I will need her to pay for the shipping if I get the
book. I have plenty of credits on both sites, so I don't mind doing
this, but if she does get it somewhere else I also need to be told, so I
can cancel the wish. I've read most of Mary Stewart years ago and have
found plenty of cozy authors to read. Let me know. I will watch my
email, and you can just reply to me."

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 52 comments Another msg:

"Laura,

Try half.com and abebooks.com. You can usually find pretty good prices on
used copies, as well as out-of-print books.

Also, a friend owns an online bookstore called Anglophilebooks. com. She
specializes in books by British authors.

Happy hunting!"

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments Also, if you search the World Cat database, they usually list all the libraries that have copies all over the world. You never know there might be one near where you live that your local library could get in.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/wind-of...

message 29: by Carolynne (new)

Carolynne | 1 comments The WorldCat link did not work for me, but I got _Wind off the Small Isles_ through interlibrary loan this past summer. It's a pleasant story--I thought it could have used a little fleshing out.

message 30: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Carolynne wrote: "The WorldCat link did not work for me, but I got _Wind off the Small Isles_ through interlibrary loan this past summer. It's a pleasant story--I thought it could have used a little fleshing out."

Thanks Carolynne.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan If anyone is still interested in this story, there is a copy of the magazine for sale on ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-magaz...

Pretty reasonable price with shipping, and you have the bonus of a look at a retro magazine with all the fashions, food, decorating, etc. from the 60s!

message 32: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments Hey , which one of us just bought that issue? When I got to the ebay site, it was sold. Maybe we can post it somewhere, the nearest library copy to me is in upstate New York. (I'm in New Jersey.)

message 33: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Not me.

message 34: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Twas little old me! And I fully intend to share. I wasn't going to say anything til I had it in my hot little hands. But since the cat is out of the bag, I didn't want to leave anyone wondering. Funny thing is, I had not purchased anything on ebay in something like 10 years but they still had my user name and password. Even funnier was I remembered it!!

I will need help in figuring out how to post it. And what about the 21 great new hairdos and do ahead recipes for casseroles and chocolate desserts also in that issue?

message 35: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Thank you for the tip Susan:)

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Diane Lynn wrote: "Twas little old me! And I fully intend to share. I wasn't going to say anything til I had it in my hot little hands. But since the cat is out of the bag, I didn't want to leave anyone wondering. Fu..."

WooooooHooooooo! Congrats Diane Lynn. You'll be the first in our group (that I know of) to read this one. Glad it's going to one of us here :D

If you ever figure out a way to scan the story and save to .pdf or something, let me know and I'll send you my email address and will be more then happy to send some $$ to cover any expenses you might incur in making it available to us via the internet.

message 37: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Hannah wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "Twas little old me! And I fully intend to share. I wasn't going to say anything til I had it in my hot little hands. But since the cat is out of the bag, I didn't want to leave a..."

I can easily scan and email. I have a scanner here at home. There certainly wouldn't be any $$ involved. When I said I might need help, I meant about posting it because I have no idea where I would do that. I will let you know when it arrives and I have it scanned.

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan Congratulations!

These vintage magazines are real gems - not only will you get that MS story, they usually print other story excerpts as well.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan Are we going to do a 'group read' then, once this novella is published here?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane Lynn wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "Twas little old me! And I fully intend to share. I wasn't going to say anything til I had it in my hot little hands. But since the cat is out of the bag, I didn't ..."

I'd like a copy, too. Then we could do a group read. :)

message 41: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Jeannette wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "Twas little old me! And I fully intend to share. I wasn't going to say anything til I had it in my hot little hands. But since the cat is out of..."

I can email a copy to anyone interested.

message 42: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Would anyone else like a copy through email or snail mail? Or are there other ideas on how I can share?

Shall we do a group read anytime soon?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in for a read anytime. I've sent a copy to a GR friend, whose just starting TiT today. :)

message 44: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I'd love access to a copy. I'm also up for a group read of it :-).

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I can send you the pdf files if you send me your home email address in a PM. :)

message 46: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar On it now. LOL.

message 47: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments I'd love a copy

message 48: by Hannah (last edited Apr 19, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Diane Lynn wrote: "Shall we do a group read anytime soon?"

We should decide whether to read The Wind off the Small Isles or Nine Coaches Waiting in May.

My vote (now) goes to WotSI, mainly because I'm super excited to read a MS book I've never read.

Everyone else?

message 49: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Shelley wrote: "I'd love a copy"

Where do I send?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "Shall we do a group read anytime soon?"

We should decide whether to read The Wind off the Small Isles or Nine Coaches Waiting in May.

My vote (now) goes to WotSI, mainly becaus..."

I think we might be able to read both, because WotSI is short-story length. I was hoping we'd get to it by the end of April. :)

« previous 1 3 4