Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Titanic!!!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♠Miriam♠ (new)

♠Miriam♠ (mirizzle) Leonardo Dicaprio was phenominal in this movie! :)

message 2: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) | 80 comments perhaps one of the most over-rated movies of this or any other time.

message 3: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments Its a great film, I saw it so many times when it was out.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I loved this movie and still do, it just touched me on so many levels and always at the end I think I'm lucky to have my loved ones and don't want anything to happen to them.

message 5: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Titanic is a great movie, I really enjoyed it; however the love story between Jack and Rose is very unrealistic. In 1912 no one in steerage would ever have been allowed to mix with first class passengers.

I think a much more accurate film on the Titanic is a 50's film called "A Night to Remember"
It gives you a perpective from 1st class, 2nd class, steerage class and even the crew.

message 6: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I loved this movie ten years ago and I still do.Call me a sap, I was totally into Jack and Rose's love storey. My dogs are named Jack and Rose. (no joke)

message 7: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments you are not a sap Kim.
The love story was a great vehicle to get us to invest emotionally into the movie. I dont think we are supposed to scratch the surface too much or the plotline starts to fall apart.

Supposedly Rose goes on to become a silent film star as Rose Dawson. We know her fiance kills himself in the depression (1929)that is 17 years after the sinking....didnt he ever recognize her on screen? I would have figured he still wants his diamond (the Heart of the Ocean)

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie I enjoyed this movie, I think that the costumes and the scenery is beautiful to look at on screen. I have been wanting to watch the movie "A night to remember" and will probably check it out.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I really did not like it; I thought it was highly overrated.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Lynn,I have to agree,it was only ok for me.I had a friend who was so taken with the movie she went to see it numerous times while it was in the theater.I never understood that.

message 11: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Some movies are like that,
Everyone loves them except for a die hard few.

Im not one to see a film more than twice when it comes out. I then have to wait a long time before I see it again.

My father doesnt speak English, so I figured he would enjoy it if I played it in Spanish (DVD). He enjoyed it, but I was surprised at my own reaction: It felt like I was watching an entirely new movie (I think switching languages did it)

message 12: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 41 comments Kim: You're a sap. (You asked for it!)LOL

I had a friend that was so obsessed with this movie that it was the only thing she wanted to watch when we got together...I eventually had to quit speaking to her.

I'm just kidding. We still talk, we have just agreed to do other things than go to the movies!!

message 13: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Thanks, April!

The story about your Titanic friend is somewhat disturbing. Did she change her name to Rose, too? Kidding.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I loved this movie when it came out. My husband and I went to see it in the theater on the opening day. I had absolutely no clue to the ending so when she gave her name as Jack's last name, I thought they were going to end up together. I think not knowing and having him die made the movie for me. I always have movie plots ruined by well meaning friends. I'm fond of this movie because it wasn't ruined for me.

message 15: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments I AGREE! THIS MOVIE DOES SUCK THE BIG ONE! I am a fool for love stories but this movie got me mad. It was a cheesefest beyond. I laughed at it, like really laughed, it was that silly. I yelled at the end, "die already you moron!" I think if you are gonna make a love story of a couple I would be Noah and Allie from The Notebook!

message 16: by Nicollette (new)

Nicollette Brewster i hate this film. most overrated film ever.

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat I really liked this movie too. I own it. But I knew it was historical fiction going in, so I didn't expect the love story to be totally real. I've read Dr. Ballard's book about his search and discovery of the Titanic. For me, it put some story to the people on board to go with the statistics. I became completely caught up in the last half as well. The images were incredible.

message 18: by George (last edited Jun 06, 2008 04:37PM) (new)

George | 951 comments Well, I'd say Titanic was everything a movie starring Leonardo and Kate could be and perhaps a bit more. I did enjoy it, even though I've never found a good reason to watch it from beginning to end again.I saw it in Manila with audiences sitting in the aisles, crying their eyes out.

The sinking of the Titanic is one of modern humanity's great stories, of mythic proporation, for a wide variety of reasons. The Titanic was supposed to be one of the Industrial World's greatest achievements on its maiden voyage with a wide selection of society's elite as passengers, along with a sizeable selection of society's rejects heading for the New World and a brighter better future. It's amazing to understand that the captain was so convinced of the ship's invulnerabilty that he proceeded full speed into ice laden waters in a pre-radar era in an effort to capture the speed record between Europe and America. Talk about arrogance and blind faith in the works of man. Huge numbers of people died over an extended period of time, most in full knowledge of their inevitable fate, mostly because it never occured to the owners it might be necessary to spend the money to provide escape for the bulk of its passengers. Extreme heroism, abject cowardice and everything in between. Can anyone think of anyone more admirable and astonishing than the orchestra continuing to play as the ship slipped beneath the waves? Can anyone imagine any group doing anything even similar today? Even the ultra rich men mostly prefered to die rather than betray their values and accepted death over the inevitable scorn of their friends back home. How many of our wealthiest today would this even occur to or anyone else in our age?

It's such an epochal event that it remains burned into our collective conscious almost 100 years later. And we continue to revisit it, one generation after another in an attempt to comprehend it. It's inevitable that each generation revisting it sees the event with its own eyes, within the boundaries of its own values and essentially redefines it.

So, I'd agree that various aspects of the main story were not terribly likely. So what? Could anyone watch and not be affected viscerally? Could anyone watch the lifeboats of the Corinthian searching slowly through the icy corpses of the frozen dead and not be sickened and horrifed? So, for me the mildly silly plot between the two leads is not terribly important. It didn't really get in the way of the overall tragedy and did in fact enhance it on some levels.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol | 16 comments Kim, two of our cats were Jack and Rose (my son named them!)
I really liked the film - to me, it was two films in one, and a very Hollywood movie which was done well.

The character of Rose was partly based on Beatrice Wood - a potter who recently passed away near the director. Google her - she's one of my heroes (remember in the beginning when her granddaughter is at her house...Rose had been doing pottery)

message 20: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments i loved this movie too. but the only thing that bothered me. i mean REALLY bothered me. was when the "old lady" Rose dropped the heart of the ocean in the ocean! Why!? WHY!? it still drives me crazy. give it to the guy who has been searching for it for three years. give it to your granddaughter to keep as a reminder of truth, life, love. but throw it in the ocean! the diamond DID NOT come from the ocean. it is just a poetic way of describing the diamond. yeah, loved the movie. i knew it was historical/fiction/hollywood and i could embrace all those parts of the story because the characters brought the history alive and hollywood made me care about the characters. plus the special affects! WOW! and WOW! kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. but....WHY oh WHY keep that damn necklace all these years just to throw it in the middle of the ocean were it will collect mussels and seaweed and green goopy crap all over it. to fall to the depths of the ocean land at the bottom to never see light again.

message 21: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 41 comments Yes, like she could finally say goodbye to a love that's been with her all this time.

message 22: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I think the diamond was something she shared with Jack and since she felt she was dieing, decided to give it back, so that something tangible of her would be with him, forever. Bit of a waste from my point of view as well, but I suppose I'm not that much of a romantic.

message 23: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments yeah. i sort of saw the romantic symbolism. but jack had been eaten by a shark long long time ago. and that shark died and was eaten by another shark. so on and so forth. i just didn't see why she would carry it around with her for 60+ years just to throw it into the ocean. but i get that she never told anyone about jack and she never told anyone about the diamond. and miraculously she never used even the small tiny diamonds all up and down the chain. that she would feel that it only belonged to her and to jack. knowing that she was going to die on the ocean like him she wanted them all to be together. but i still wish she had given it to her granddaughter.

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments I think that Rose saw the diamond as kind of blood money. She would have sold her soul if she had used it for money. By giving it back to the sea she was being true to the choice she made to be with Jack. Even though she went on with her life, it was in his honor and with his spirit.

message 25: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I find it interesting that the viewing time of "Titanic" is longer than the actual impact with the iceberg and the subsequent sinking of the ship.

Unfortunately so much time is devoted to Jack and Rose that all references and scenes about the "Californian" (the mysterious ship on the horizon) are dropped. Perhaps they will be included in a future director's cut version of the movie. It would have made the tradgedy more shocking to know another ship (10 miles away) was quietly watching the curious white lights of a huge steamer at midnight.

(note to George) the rescue ship was the Carpathia not the Corinthian.

message 26: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I stand corrected, thanks.

message 27: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Yes,
James Cameron did film scenes showing the crew of the Californian looking at the mysterious ship firing rockets in the distance.
Apparently the movie was way too long and all references and scenes regarding the Californian were dropped.

The Californian was a steamer who had stopped for the night due to danger from pack ice. Earlier in the evening she had wired a message warning about ice, but she was told to "shut up,shut up" by Titanic's radio operators, because they needed the frequency to radio passenger greetings to Halifax/New York/Boston

Unfortunately Californian's radio operator went to bed around 11:PM, he never got the SOS from Titanic when she hit the iceberg at midnight.

It is interesting to speculate what would have happened if Californian had reached Titanic several hours ahead of the Carpathia. Californian was only 10 miles away.

If I remember correctly:
Titanic struck the ice berg at midnight and sank approx two hours later.

I recommend you rent "A Night to Remember" for a more comprehensive version of the events.

R♥ A♥ I♥ N♥ B♥ O♥ W♥ Z! (rainbowdorks) | 18 comments *SOB* I love this movie though its sooo sad!

message 29: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I loved this movie - the most heart rendering scene was seeing the Irish mother putting her children to bed, knowing that they had no chance to get of the boat, as the same with the old upper class couple. Imagine knowing that you are about to die and there is no escaping this fate.

I actually liked the Jack and Rose story because it proves you can't help who you fall in love with. I'm going to have watch this film again soon.

message 30: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments The older upper class couple was Mr and Mrs Isadore Straus the founders of Macy's Department Store.

James Cameron cut most of their scenes out too.
When Mr Straus was about to put his wife in a boat; someone suggested no one would object if an old gentleman got in and joined his wife. Mr Straus replied he would not get into a boat before any of the other men. When Mrs Straus heard that, she refused to leave her husband.

Note to Rob:
There are now many books about Titanic. My fav is still "A Night to Remember"..forgot the the name of the author. They made it into a movie of the same name.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments Wow, I'm hearing a lot of love for a really awful movie. I saw it when it first came out and spent an hour and a half wondering where the hell the iceberg was. The entire love story was a cliche, right down to evil Billy Zane and his mustache. And to add him chasing them with a gun while the ship was sinking was beyond ridiculous. One of the greatest missteps of the Academy was to give this stinker an Oscar.

message 32: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments i love billy zane not for his acting because it isn't that great but because of the scene in zoolander, when hansel tells derek to "listien to your buddy billy zane!" i don't know why, it just struck me as funny! now every time i see him, that quote comes into my mind and i laugh. i know i have just admitted to a silly thought but i wont take it back billy zane will always be funny to me for that.

anyways sorry to be so of topic. i will have to read that night to remember too! is it an account from a survivor or was it written by a third party who interviewed survivors?

i really feel the most sorry for the crew on the titanic. hardly any survived! talk about being dedicated to your job!

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo (jolelak) | 32 comments In defense of Titanic, I am sorry that you didn't like it, but I really did. The story was a little cheesy, I will admit. But you have to care about the people that are sinking with the ship. The ship hits the iceberg and then it pretty much sinks in real time. But if they didn't have the story, and just went right to the iceberg and the sinking, what is the point?

You need that time to see the people effected. If you didn't watch the first two hours of the movie and jumped in right when the ship hits the ice, you would miss the whole point.

The romance isn't for everyone, but I thought it was great. Every character that got even a passing glance got closure. We know what happened to them. It wasn't the greatest film ever made, but it was a story that you could watch and escape into for a few hours. That is what entertainment is all about.

message 34: by Angie (new)

Angie Rob, the documentary is called "Ghosts of the Abyss" it usually plays in the IMAX at museums. I saw a WONDERFUL Titanic exhibit at Denver's Museum of Nature and Science if that happens to tour by anyone you should really check it out. I couldn't believe how they set it up. When you first entered the exhibit you were given a boarding pass and then at the end you looked at a board to see if you survived or died. I was actually the unsinkable Molly Brown. Anyways... that's where I saw the movie at the IMAX. It is very good.

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 13 comments I loved this movie when I first saw it and I still love it now. For me it's one of those that I could watch over and over.

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Ghosts of the Abyss is available from Netflicks.