Challenge: 50 Books discussion

productive reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep yourself awake in the evening and night time to read long? If you do, please post your suggestions on my reading group blog. I need your help!

-Sea
http://www.readingwithsea.wordpress.com

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments Nice glass of Irish whisky!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie wrote: "Nice glass of Irish whisky!"

I am very sure that would make me entirely the opposite of awake! : )

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments Well the trouble is one leads to another etc!

message 5: by Cecilia (last edited Mar 09, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I put it on the schedule.

After my daughter has gone to bed, and dishes are put in the dishwasher, I sit in my living room with a book and read. I find that if the book holds my attention I will stay awake reading. If not, I go to bed. I do not put too much pressure on myself to read so many chapters or get to a certain part. That only makes me tired.

What I DO NOT DO is take the book to bed directly! If I do end up reading in bed, I take the book with me after my night time reading in the living room. If I go directly to bed with a book, I might as well just take a sleeping pill and call it a day.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Cecilia wrote: "I put it on the schedule.

After my daughter has gone to bed, and dishes are put in the dishwasher, I sit in my living room with a book and read. I find that if the book holds my attention I will s..."

That is a good plan!

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Sea wrote: "Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep yourself awake in the evening and night time to read long? If you do, please post your suggestions on my reading group blog. I need your help!

..."

You can have my insomnia! I'm really willing to give it up. Reading is the only productive thing to come from it this year.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Cecilia wrote: "I put it on the schedule.

After my daughter has gone to bed, and dishes are put in the dishwasher, I sit in my living room with a book and read. I find that if the book holds my attention I will s..."

I have a particular chair and a particular lamp in the livingroom when I want to read there. For whatever reason it helps to hold my attention to what I'm reading. I guess because it takes you out of your routine.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tim wrote: "Cecilia wrote: "I put it on the schedule.

After my daughter has gone to bed, and dishes are put in the dishwasher, I sit in my living room with a book and read. I find that if the book holds my ..."

That sounds really nice. I need a good reading space.

message 10: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
I read in the bath for hours in the evening. Sometimes even have to put new hot water into it. You really can't fall asleep in there or your in trouble!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Faye wrote: "I read in the bath for hours in the evening. Sometimes even have to put new hot water into it. You really can't fall asleep in there or your in trouble!"

That's a really good idea! Except that I get too hot and can never stay in long.

message 12: by astrangerhere (new)

astrangerhere I've never had this problem, personally, but alot of my former classmates back in law school did. They came up with alot of quirky ideas for staying awake, though most were more gimmick and did not lead to productive reading (or in our case, studying).

Though I think the best suggestion I heard was to make an effort to read somewhere other than where you sleep. Reading at the kitchen table seemed to be the best for most people.

Though in deference to the topic, I'll list some of the other things my classmates tried:

- sitting in the middle of the hallway (this woman was sitting outside the door of her toddler's room and always stayed awake because she looked in on her little girl 3-4 times an hour)

- sitting in the bathroom (the only place my study partner said he could ever truly focus on what he was reading)

- listening to music, irrespective of location (though sometimes this creates auditory memory for what you're reading. There are still some songs I listented to while studying for the Bar Exam that create the urge to study whenever I hear them now.)

Whatever the method, it seemed to work for us as individuals as we're all practicing attorneys now. Good luck in your battle against the seratonin!

Ast

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments AST "There are still some songs I listented to while studying for the Bar Exam that create the urge to study whenever I hear them now.)" Very Big LOL!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Faye wrote: "I read in the bath for hours in the evening. Sometimes even have to put new hot water into it. You really can't fall asleep in there or your in trouble!"

This is for you:
http://readingwithsea.wordpress.com/2...

-Sea