Jane Eyre discussion

Its still a great read in 2010!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele Powers | 1 comments Recently decided to reread Jane Eyre. I had read it so long ago that I found my old copy with my maiden name written on the inside cover in a style of cursive I don't use anymore. Loved it even more this time because I'm an adult. Then I watched the BBC miniseries from 2006. Wonderful! Now I'm reading Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler. ITs about how Charlotte Bronte wrote the book - what was happening in her life and how she wrote it and planned it out. It gets inside her head. I'm so amazed at how Charlotte Bronte wrote about such a self determined and smart woman - when women were not supposed to be that at all! I can relate to her even now - can you?

message 2: by April (new)

April | 24 comments Jane Eyre is my favorite novel and yes it's great at any age! I know someone who re-reads it once a year.
RE: Becoming Jane Eyre-it is fictionalized, yes? I read the jacket cover and put it back as I didn't like what they were implying about the life of Charlotte. It bothers me that people who don't know her TRUE life story might read it and not know any better. What do you think?

message 3: by Simerpreet (new)

Simerpreet I started reading Jane Eyre recently. I saw the movie and ran out and bought myself the book.
I can't put the book down, where ever I go I take Jane with me.

message 4: by April (new)

April | 24 comments Simerpreet-I love that you had to go out and buy the book and take it everwhere with you : ) FUn!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) Spent the early summer reading Jane Austen and spinoffs etc. Now syarting on the Brontes beginning with Jane Eyre!

message 6: by RegencyEmma (new)

RegencyEmma | 1 comments Jane Eyre is my favorite book! I re-read it all the time, I never get tired of it. :)

message 7: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain | 19 comments ^ Have to agree! I love rereading random bits at random times as well as going through the whole story from beginning to end once again. But my perspective changes - I used to LOVE Rochester, but nowadays I'm beginning to nurse a very strong dislike for his manipulativeness. Maybe I just a turned a blind eye to it before.

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby (frazzles) | 45 comments Mod
I agree I never get tired of re-reading my favorite passages. I fall in love with the book all over again. I especially like reading modernizations of it, just makes you realize how timeless the story is.