Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Now That Is A Sports Role Model

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shut...

There are still many stand-up guys who are role models in sports. I would like to have a good guy / good news sports thread

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice article, thanks for sharing Kevin.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11630 comments Sure. Until he gets caught boinking someone he shouldn't be, or for DUI, or whatever it's going to be.

Stop looking for role models outside the home. Model the behavior you want your kids to pick up, and explain why you do things that way. If someone outside the immediate family does something good, point it out, but certainly not to the point of, "you should be more like him/her."

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
hear hear. Good point, Phil.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have to agree.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't agree. i try to be a role model for my kids but i also understand that it takes a village to raise a child. i depend on lots of others to help. there are lots of people i hope my people turn out like. maybe not exactly like but to emulate their qualities. i am hopeful that these people don't let me or my kids down. i don't naturally assume they are going to. apparently phil you have not let your kids down yet but i am capable of it and have done it. i am humble in saying there are lots of people i hope my kids grow up like even more than me. i just hope i can be helpful in their development along the way

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have to agree. :)

message 8: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:23AM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I have to say that I find the story very admirable and I would like to see more of it as examples for humanity and society in general. And I guess if I am going to say society I guess that does includes my children, but I am not hoping that my children aren't looking towards anyone but themselves for who they want to turn out to be. I hope I expose them to lots, including my faults, societies faults as well as my successes and societies success to help them shape what is right for them. I don't want them to turn out to be anyone but who they want to be...... I just hope they are exposed to honesty, unconditional love and lots and lots of communication. I hope with that that they will then determine what mixture is right for them. I just hope I will have exposed them to enough tools to make smart, healthy (both physically, emotionally and spiritually) decisions for themselves....... I am sure I am living in a dream world...... but if I try each day to parent this way..... then there is hope. *climbing down from my wee little soap box, just one Mainers opinion*

message 9: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments That said....... no question we need more random acts of kindness on larger scales by more and more people....don't spread the word..... ACT! :)

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have to agree.

message 11: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments With which Larry 8 or 9 ....... you weren't specific :)

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) All of it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

You seem awfully agreeable Larry, got that thousand dollars you owe me?

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Every cent, Jim.

message 15: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Hey Jim, get a 1,000$ for me too :).....

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sure. Just send me your bank account number, folks.

message 17: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I'll take a Cashier's check thanks :)

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh sure. Take advantage of the emotionally compliant man, why don't ya?

message 19: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Oh my G-d......you have coined a new diagnosis....... 'emotionally compliant' .... a new defense for criminals and a new diagnosis to get drugs from doctors. "I'm sorry sir my husband is no longer capable of working, he is on permanent leave due to 'emotional compliance disorder' ..... "oh yes this is most definitely covered by workman's comp.......... *GEESH* I think the acronym should be SCKR :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

When some one does something admirable, maybe being held as a role model is a little excessive, but certainly associating that person with the act, and letting your kids know the positive results of said act are certainly worth it.

Like Bun said, no one it perfect, but hopefully promoting the positives will lead to positive results.

message 21: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I'm Larry: " I have to agree" (and i do)

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

message 23: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Wait Larry, does that now somehow cycle around to the role model topic again? *awww shucks grin* I knew you were working on a deeper plane than the rest of us :)

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I knew you would figure it out.

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11630 comments BunWat wrote: "How would getting caught doing something wrong negate the fact that this month he did something right? What he did was admirable, and if he later does something less admirable, so what?"

Perhaps our definitions of "role model" do not match? I see a role model as someone held up as an exemplar of model behavior. If a parent tells a child, "that Joe Blow is a great person - we should all be more like him," that parent is setting that child up for serious disappointment when the "hero" screws up.

If, however, the same parent says, "that was a wonderful thing Joe Blow did last week. I'd like to emulate that type of behavior in my own life," then the role modeling is limited to that one event.

Focus on the deed, not the person performing it.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 10, 2010 02:44AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And in the "how not to leave a city" category, Derek Anderson was cut by Cleveland...and...this was his reaction:

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we:] roll them."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/...

I have gone on record saying that sports figures aren't role models more than anyone else is a role model, but everyone is responsible for her/his own behavior, of course. I also understand people are complex and I don't want to judge people based on one incident/period any more than I'd like to be judged based on one incident/period.

By the way, Derek Anderson praying to God that his new team kicks the Browns' ass next time he comes to town fascinates me. Does he think God will see that request for revenge as a good thing? Maybe Derek Anderson prays to the old testament God.

message 27: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I am so on board with Random, Phil and Jim-all great points. Emulate and hold up as examples, behaviors, not individuals. I am a fan of that! And on the sports and salacious side I am find Derek Anderson's praying to God, vengeance and R.A. observation extremely amusing.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Plus, it's not like God hasn't punished the Browns enough...

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments no, i do not think God grants revenge prayers. i also really don't get praying that your team will win a game. i can see praying that no one gets hurt or that everyone plays with some dignity and sportsmanship but to win? what if the other team is doing that too? does God make it a tie then?

"God, you know what kind of cheaters that the Pats are. c'mon, you know. so we would like to beat them badly on monday nite football"

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments actually i prefer this biblical revenge:

proverbs 25:21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; 22 For thou wilt heap coals of fire upon his head,

be really nice to your enemies and that will really burn them up :)

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like that.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.