Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

Seeking Books Set in ALASKA

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 10 comments Any suggestions? Seeking especially novels or memoirs/travelogues. Thanks!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Veitch (geordiereader) | 4 comments A journalist from Scotland called Guy Grieve wrote a perfectly good travelogue about his year spent living alone in Alaska "Call of the wild: My escape to Alaska". The paperback looks a bit macho if you judge it by the cover, but I thought he wrote well and it contains some nice photos and deep descriptions of the weather etc. He built his own cabin and went around on a dog sled hunting his own food while his wife and new born child were back home in Scotland. He is torn about leaving them but he pushed on regardless, this sounds really selfish but he does not appear so egotistical and I found myself keen to read how he survived.

message 3: by John (last edited Mar 08, 2010 12:40PM) (new)

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 4 comments I have fond memories of reading Tisha: The Story of a Young Teacher in the Alaska Wilderness when I was younger.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (lestarlight) | 12 comments One of the best books ever written about Alaska is John McPhee's "Coming into the Country".

message 6: by Harvey (last edited Mar 09, 2010 01:17PM) (new)

Harvey | 53 comments Still can't resist the idea of S. Palin's "Guide to Alaska".

Maybe naughty!

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 10 comments These are great recommendations. Thank you!!!

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Veitch (geordiereader) | 4 comments Just remembered, in the Guy Grtieve book he has a great relationship with his dog!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalovestoread) | 14 comments Finally found my copy of Arctic Daughter - by Jean Aspen. Out of print but very enjoyable memoir of several years she and her boyfriend spent on their in the wilds of the Brooks Range of Northern Alaska. They built their own cabin, etc. You can find it for a penny at Amazon.com.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Julie of the Wolves is a children's book, but I really liked it. The Call of the Wild actually takes place in the Yukon, but it is close and is one of my favorite books. Gentle Ben is another YA title set in Alaska (skip the TV series or movie) that I really enjoyed. I agree with Linda, Coming into the Country is a great place to start.

message 12: by Carol (last edited Apr 30, 2010 01:55AM) (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Kathyrn, I just stumbled on this goodreads list:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/15...

Deborah, thanks for showing me you can put in the book cover - I like that.
Tisha The Story of a Young Teacher in the Alaska Wilderness by Robert Specht I second Meghan's suggestion of Tisha
Travels in Alaska by Muir John is good, too!

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah You're welcome. I like seeing the covers.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 10 comments Thanks so much!!!

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Never Cry Wolf was a great film although I don't remember if I read the book. Part documentary, part story it was fascinating tale of nature, wolves, and they dying culture of the Inuit Indians.

message 16: by Packabook (new)

Packabook | 11 comments Legend Of A Suicide is a collection of interlinked short stories set in Alaska. I admit it sounds a little depressing, but it has rave reviews on Amazon. Legend Of A Suicide (AWP Award Series in Short Fiction) by David Vann

message 17: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments I haven't figured out how to write a query. I'm looking for people who have traveled to Alaska and what they learned about Alaskan food. A cousin is contemplating a book on food as she and her friend worked for a long time with natives there doing work with nutrition. She worked first in the 40s and then in the 90s. She had lots of adventures. She wants to do a survey and I just don't know enough people who have been there. Anyone interested in helping? Thanks Ruth

message 18: by Dina (new)

Dina (dashboard_diva) | 14 comments Linda wrote: "One of the best books ever written about Alaska is John McPhee's "Coming into the Country"."
A fervent recommendation is to read Margaret Murie's Two in the Far North, a memoir published in 1962. It chronicles Murie’s early life in Alaska (she moved there with her family in 1907!), marriage to Olaus Murie, and research expeditions in Alaska. The Muries were seminal in creating the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Rent the movie Arctic Dance as well.

message 19: by Dina (new)

Dina (dashboard_diva) | 14 comments Linda wrote: "One of the best books ever written about Alaska is John McPhee's "Coming into the Country"."

I completely agree with you Linda. This is a fantastic and fascinating book.

message 20: by Dina (new)

Dina (dashboard_diva) | 14 comments Cathy wrote: "Never Cry Wolf was a great film although I don't remember if I read the book. Part documentary, part story it was fascinating tale of nature, wolves, and they dying culture of the Inuit Indians."

The book, by Farley Mowat, is sensational. It's easy to read, but vivid and complex, humorous and poignant.

message 21: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments Thanks. I've sent these on to my cousin. She will find this helpful.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalovestoread) | 14 comments I've mentioned before the book, Arctic Daughter, by Jean Aspen. I don't believe it's in print, but you can find it online. Aspen spent a year alone in the wilderness (and then returned with her husband). It's a wonderful account.

message 23: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie There is a List entitled Alaska Tales. I found it when I was looking at Arctic Daughter. You might want to look there.

message 24: by Donna (last edited May 13, 2011 02:25PM) (new)

Donna (donnamorang) | 12 comments After living in Alaska for many years I'm rather picky about what I read about it. I have read and re-read a wonderful and unusual book called "Shopping for Porcupine" by Seth Kantner. A true story of a white man living the incredibly difficult life of an Inuit. Difficult in my eyes not in his,
Hope you enjoy it.

message 25: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments Thanks. Sounds very interesting.

message 27: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments These are all great suggestions. Many thanks.

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnamorang) | 12 comments Shopping for Porcupine is a true Alaskan bush story. I've lived in the Alaskan bush, and this book is authentic, the author is a true Alaskan from the word go.

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I recently finished Outside Passage: A Memoir of an Alaskan Childhood. I do recommend this book. Please remember that three stars for me means I LIKED the book. I am terribly restrictive with my stars. Here is my review if you are interested: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... I have several quotes so you can judge if you like the author's style of writing!

message 30: by Charles (new)

Charles Thompson | 3 comments Drop City by T.C. Boyle is one of my favorite novels.

message 32: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments I never realized how many books are set in Alaska!! My cousin's book will be quite different as its main emphasis is working with the natives - as a dietitian. A lot about their foods, etc. She has to book proposal ready and we'll see what happens!

message 33: by Lou (new)

Lou Ureneck (LouUreneck) | 8 comments At the risk of sounding self-referential, allow me to suggest "Backcast: Fatherhood, Fly-Fishing and a River Journey Through the Heart of Alaska." It was a National Geographic Traveler book of the month selection, and it won the National Outdoor Book Award.