Runs with scissors discussion

Chit-chat > Today, 3/8/10,11, etc

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Mar 09, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Today I am 36. I am celebrating my birthday by delivering cookies to the library staff. Yes, I made them cookies for my birthday. I like to bake and I love to create recipes, so there you go. I made Cherry Crisps...(the recipe can be found in the other group I moderate "Cookies".)

I am now 4 years away from 40. I don't know how I feel about that. I had a hard time with 30. I am beginning to find a stray gray hair here and there, nothing to cover up yet, but I dread that day. (My hair hangs below my waist. I can almost sit on it.) I decided a long time ago, that I would not fall into the trap of hair dying that my mother did. Nor am I going to grow old with grace. I plan on going my way.

Pink.

Yep, I'm going to dye it pink when the time comes. It's my favorite color and the color of my favorite cause.

I have never done anything like it before in my life, but I figure, what the heck, you only grow old once. Maybe I'll be like Mrs. Slocombe and do a different color each week, or maybe I go neon colors....

Well, I have several years to plan.

Happy bithday to me....wheee!

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy Happy Birthday Kim! Hope you have a special day :)

message 3: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Mar 09, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

Thanks Joy. It went well for the most part. I got to have free coffee at Caribou because I get emails from them, my local Hallmark store offered me a free gift and a 20% discount good for yesterday only, Speedway Rewards sent me a bonus coupon for 200 points that I just need to have scanned by the cashier, and Baskin Robbins sent me a coupon for free ice-cream because I'm in their birthday club! Whew!

My mom and grandma took me out for dinner last night and my best friend Connie (who has a birthday 3/10) and I will be going out to celebrate our birthdays of Friday. Then on Saturday, mom, grandma, my boyfriend (Hi Narain!) and I will go out for my official dinner at my restaurant of choice. Sometime soon, I will have my dinner at home of choice.

I should explain a little. Im my family, we don't make a big deal about much, but we do about birthdays. You get to pick an at home meal of choice and a restaurant of choice too.

(In my family, if you don't get at least 3 birthday celebrations, you're not trying.)

message 4: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Happy Belated Birthday Kim!!!!!
You need to get a free book token on your Birthday!!!
Love your attitude about your hair!!!
My own is currently Blood Red,my favourite colour!! LOL!!!

message 5: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Thanks, DJ. I had a pretty good day, execept I didn't get any cards in the mail from my family or anybody. 2 arrived yesterday. I guess with my b-day on a Monday, people guessed wrong on when to send them.

message 6: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Or Maybe they got rolled over from the Saturday post?I say this as in the UK we do not get a Sunday dlivery and I'm kind of presuming its the same stateside?
Look forward to hearing about the meal....Lucky Girl!!

message 7: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Yes, it is the same here about the mail not being on Sunday. My wonderful boyfriend took me out last Saturday for my birthday to a great barbeque joint that I love and is owned and run by a former Cleveland Browns player, Al "Bubba" Baker. He cooks and does come out to see patrons. They make the BEST mac and cheese I've ever had in a restaurant, and the food! Whoo! I got the fried chicken,and you can get either 1/2 a chicken or a whole chicken. They aren't kidding. I got a 1/2 and it was a leg, thigh, wing and breast. Since I prefer white meat, I planned on taking home the thigh and the leg for somebody to have later.

I ended up taking home the wing too, as I had a Dolly Parton chicken. It was huge! I mean ALL the pieces were huge. The thigh went into it's own container it was so big!

We were even treated to a slice of cake by our server who was appologizing for the wait we had while waiting for the bill, the slice of cake filled a standard styrofoam take-out box!

I don't think that will be the case tomorrow, but you never know....

message 8: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Please forgive my laughter at your description of The Dolly Parton Chicken!!!
It sounds really good but what type of cake was it?
The cake is very important you know.....

message 9: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

It was an Oreo cake. It was chocolate cake,then a layer of chocolate cream, cake, vanilla cream, cake, chocolate cream, cake, vanilla cream cake and frosted in fudge frosting with a dollop of chocolat moose with an oreo cookie decoration.

It make a very good breakfast the next day.

message 10: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

O.K. dinner last night was good! I had chicken picatta and my mom and grandma had duck. Narzain had yellow fin tuna steak and each dinner had it's own unique side dish. The duck came with wild rice and a veggie medley, mine with twice baked potato and veggies and Narzain had rice pilaf and veggies. All the meals came with a nice tossed salad and the whole table shared a lovely relish tray and cottage cheese (of which I am the only one who eats that, and it was yummy!) and french bread that they top with parmesan cheese!

For desert, my mom had a raspberry sundae, grandma had butterscotch, Narzain had a warm chocolate lava cake, and I had a creme de minthe parfait, made with the liquor. It was divine!

message 11: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Hi Kim
That sounds yummy.....I would be really jealous but Husband took me out for Mothers Day lunch today.Sweet Chili Duck with Noodles,Salmon and Prawn Mornay with assorted veggies and Potatoes and Praline Profiteroles with hot Chocolate Sauce win Tia Maria,a couple of glass of wine and a couple of lattes.
And yes I know I don't have human Children but it was from Shania and SuziQ and also little Emily who is staying with us for a couple of weeks.And I got gifts too Rubber Gloves that say Best Mum fom Artie-Mouse(my Budge)Chateau Monty Book of the series from all the girls and the new John Barrowman CD from Husband!
I am a lucky girl......

message 12: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

I understand. I have a mouse child....

message 13: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Much relived you don't think we are completely mad....

message 14: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

All of us are mad here....

message 15: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Mmmmmmmmm yeah probably! LOL!!

message 16: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

As the boyfriend says, "who wants to be normal anyway?"

message 17: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Who decides what "normal" is anyway....that's what I want to know....

message 18: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

A bunch of stick-up-their-bums-wouldn't-know-fun-if-it-bit-them-on-the-balls fogeys.

message 19: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments I take it Fogey stands for old? In that case I feel very young indeed!!

message 20: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Yes, old. So old, God's grandmother was their babysitter....

message 21: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments ROTFL.....

message 22: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

DJ wrote: "ROTFL....."

Psst! Please remember not to use chat and text short hand. There are a few of us (like me) who don't always understand them. Thanks!:)

message 23: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Oooops Sorry.
It means Rolling on the floor laughing.
LOL = Laugh out Loud.
These are about the only 2 I use as I do not understand most of them myself.....

message 24: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Well, here we are again, one year later and I am another year older, yet I do not feel any wiser. I guess that now I am 37, and 3 years from (ulp!) 40 (yes, yes I know there are those here who have cleared that and will say "Big Whoop!"). I had a hard time with 30. I am not looking forward to 40.

Maybe I'll go for the pink hair by then.........

message 25: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments 30 was hard...been there...40 will be nothing

message 26: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

That's what they keep telling me....

message 27: by Narzain, The Minister of Awesome (new)

Narzain | 75 comments Mod
40 was pretty much "meh" to me. Of course, my birthdays have been less and less of a big deal as I go, so everybody's mileage varies.

message 28: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Here I am once again, feeling lost but now and then...oops, sorry wrong show. Today I am another year older,and apparently not too much more the wiser. I am not finding myself as peppy as last year,perhaps because last year I was starting the new chapter in my life and was proving to myself that I could do things I never thought I could do, and now I am still doing the same and not getting any further ahead, not sure. I am sure that things HAVE to get better and I hope that will be soon.