Stephen King Fans discussion

Pet Sematary / Carrie / Nightshift
Movies & TV shows > Remake of 'Pet Semetary'

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments I guess a rumor of this has been going around for a while, but there seems to be some validity to it now. The project is being done by Paramount, and they've hired Matthew Greenberg, the writer of the screenplay for '1408' to do the script. I'm cautiously excited, actually...I think this could be interesting, because I really liked what they did with 1408.

Here's the link for more info: Hollywood Reporter

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hmm... Wow. I bet an updated version would be terrifying. The original still gives me the creeps from when I was just a kid!

I don't know if I'm happy that they are thinking of updating the movie though. Some movies should just stay classic and untouched.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments Hollywood has no new ideas. I know that's the easiest line to throw around because everyone does...but it's true. True original movies are a dying breed...they're still made, but they're done online or direct to video for the most part. Almost all of the big budget movies now are re-makes, adaptations from comics or books, or video games. It frustrates me something fierce.

But, that said, I will stay with my earlier assessment...I'm cautiously excited. hehehe.... :)

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Tis true, tis true.

Although... I do prefer the new Dawn of the Dead movie. As cheesy as some of it was, I couldn't look away. LOL

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) This has always been one of my favorite SK stories so I'm interested to see what they can do with a remake. I just hope they don't tweak the story too much.

message 6: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments I'm cautiously optimistic when any new Stephen King related project comes along ... but this movie is sacrosanct to me and a re-make has me very nervous.

The fact that King wrote the screenplay for the original really shows -- his sense of humor is all over that script -- and I wouldn't want anyone mucking with that. Plus, I can't imagine casting anyone else as Judd Crandell -- Fred Gwynne was p-e-r-f-e-c-t.

And Zelda???!!! She still gives me nightmares, and I wouldn't want to see her turned into a CGI freak. Not cool.

I guess only time will tell. And why is Hollywood so intent on shooting remakes when King has still got LOTS of stories and novels that haven't been touched for the first time yet?

message 7: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments Oh BTW Becky, I prefer the new Dawn of the Dead too. Sacrilegious I know, but that movie is AWESOME ;)

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes... yes it is. :D

message 9: by Felina (new)

Felina I haven't read Pet Semetary but I remember being terrified of the movie as a child.

I like the new Dawn of the Dead better as well. There is just nothing more terrifying that fast zombies. If you can outrun them and maybe even push them over...I'm not scared.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was traumatized by PS when I was a kid... probably like 4 or 5. It was horrible.

I didn't even want to read the book for a long time, but when I did, it was fantastic. You should give it a try Felina.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I agree with Trudi, King has lots of books, pick a new one. And it wouldn't irk me so much if it didn't seem that all the remakes are from the 80's.

I had my mind set not to watch any of them, then I saw that Jared Padalecki is in Friday The 13th. It was OK, but you knew what was going to happen, so it lost some of it's surprise element. And I seen somewhere that there's going to be a remake of Red Dawn. IMO that's one that shouldn't be remade. So many up and coming stars in that movie, and a few good old ones. I just don't see how it could be any better.

message 12: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi (jessibee) | 10 comments Pet Semetary was my first SK book ever. I think I was 11 or 12 when I stole it out of my mom's room to read it. Because it was my first, I guess it will always be my favorite. I have reread it several times and each time it tears at my soul.

That being said, I hated the movie. I hated the way they made it, I hated the acting, and I hated that it didn't capture the true horror of the book. I think a remake would be great.

It's true that Hollywood doesn't have anymore original ideas. They've been remaking Asian movies for the past few years and will try to make a movie out of any book that is published. But if they want to the right the wrong they did to Pet Semetary, I'm ok with that.

message 13: by Jak (new)

Jak (blindjak) | 32 comments I’m with Jessica, PS was my first introduction to SK so when they made a film I was uber excited. However I thought it was awful. Like Jessica says the acting was just cringe worthy and the film somehow failed to capture not only the real horror of the book but I think also to capture the emotion of the loss of a child. Tat said, Fred Gwynne as Judd Crandall was excellent and will be hard to equal.

I personally would keep my fingers crossed for a massive improvement on the original.

message 14: by Kandice (last edited Mar 09, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Kandice | 4053 comments I always think the movies of his books that have a LOT of supernatural elements come off cheezy. It has nothing to do with the 80's being less advanced and everything to do with the subject matter. A little magic, or whatever, is okay, like in the Green Mile, but too much, and you get cheeze. I don't mind the cheeze myself, but the people doing the re-make will.

Like Lori said, he's written so many...pick something else. Rose Madder has just enough it would probably translate well to screen. Gerald's Game if they could tickle foot around her on the bed. Blaze would probably be a good one, but more suited to a t.v. movie.

message 15: by Jak (new)

Jak (blindjak) | 32 comments Cell should be able to make a faily good movie. Zombies and all that.

message 16: by Bondama (last edited Mar 10, 2010 05:48AM) (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments You know, it's funny - the word about a possible remake of "Pet Semetary" because I remember reading, many years ago, an interview with Himself in which he said, "Out of all my novels, "Pet Semetary" is the one in which I WOULD NEVER make into a movie." - Serious, I wish I could quote where I read this, but it struck me as very true when I read it because he was, at the time, the father of small children, and he felt that the subject matter of this book was just too terrifyingly real to make a movie from.

Obviously, at some point he did change his mind -- but, I would like to know what his feelings on a remake are, now that his children are grown.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4053 comments I am almost positive that's the sentiment expressed by King (about Pet Semetary) in The Stephen King Illustrated Companion. It may be somewhere else, but I read that recently and remember it. He was even leary of writing that book because of the subject matter. I can't imagine your children having outlived childhood would make it any easier to write, read or see.

message 18: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 41 comments Pet Semetary is one of my favorites because my dad had just passed away, and it made me realize how you really have to let go. I thought the book was really more supernatural and serious than scary. I thought the movie was a disaster, bad acting all around except for Gwynne. A remake could not be any worse.

I heard that Cell was optioned for a movie as soon as it was published. I think it would be a great movie, and would fit into the recent 'zombie' craze of recent movies.

message 19: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Kandice, thank you so much -- I honestly wondered if my memory of that quote was wrong, because - not too many years after I'd read it, the movie came out. Now I know I wasn't dreaming!!

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Kandice I think Blaze would translate into a good movie. It's pretty stright forward, so they wouldn't have to change anything. I loved the book, and it's a really good story. I felt bad for him at the end, and glad he did the right thing. I think it could be a good big screen movie.

message 21: by Ethan (new)

Ethan (eets80) | 4 comments Yes, I do believe that Cell is approved with Frank Darabont (The Mist) directing. I do hope they spruce up the ending for the movie, though (like they did for The Mist).

message 22: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 6 comments Wow, I had no idea they were thinking of a remake. I'm not exactly sure. Most of the remakes are not as good as the original. But, the original still gives me the chills and still, at times, makes me cry. The part when te father had to stick the needle in Gage's neck, and he did that little pained moan...OMG that tugged at my heartstrings. I have a soft spot for little kids, and I understand why he did it, but it was still kind of sad.
Plus, after the wife had that drea of her sister, and she was screaming "Never get out of bed again", I slept in the livingroom for 2 weeks. *Shivers*. It still gives me the creeps.
Sorry for the lack of names. It's been months since I've seen that movie, and read the book.

message 23: by Kit★ (last edited Dec 05, 2010 09:48AM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Trudi wrote: "Oh BTW Becky, I prefer the new Dawn of the Dead too. Sacrilegious I know, but that movie is AWESOME ;)"

Me too! I watched the old black and white one with my mom, because she was like "This movie was the scariest movie ever when I was young!" So I watched it with her, and I had to fight not to fall asleep. Slow zombies that have barely any strength just aren't very scary nowadays I guess. I took my little brother to see the new one in theaters when it came out, and in the first 10 minutes he was begging me to take him home he was so scared (but I made him watch it all anyway). I couldn't run for my life, probably not even like a 100 yard dash for my life, so that makes fast zombies much, much more scary to me.
But back on topic, I would like to see this movie re-made. I know there's something special about older "classic" movies but I for one enjoy remakes, especially because of advances in special effects and such. Plus nowadays they're allowed to put way more gory and graphic things in movies than before, which to me is great, most especially for horror movies. I have the old PS on DVD, and yea, it's entertaining, and a good watch, but I can't get past the bad 80's clothes and hair and the not-so-good special effects. The only bad thing about it would be if they didn't do a good job with casting, and writing and all that.

message 24: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments PS is in the top five of my favorite SK books and the first one I ever read. I thought the movie was good and pretty faithful to the book. Not sure about a remake. Would depend on who's in it and who directs.

message 25: by Jc11king (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments Kit wrote: "I for one enjoy remakes, especially because of advances in special effects and such. Plus nowadays they're allowed to put way more gory and graphic things in movies than before, which to me is great, most especially for horror movies. I have the old PS on DVD, and yea, it's entertaining, and a good watch, but I can't get past the bad 80's clothes and hair and the not-so-good special effects. The only bad thing about it would be if they didn't do a good job with casting, and writing and all that"

Well that's the problem with horror movies nowadays. They put everything on blood and special effect, and barely nothing on writing, plot, etc.
Hence, horror movies suck