Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Making Friends

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Kristen Gongora I would love to see goodreads give users the ability to search for people with ratings similar to their own. It would be a nice way to expand friend spheres, and find people with similar tastes.

message 2: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Grumpus | 49 comments Didn't we used to have the option of sending a note with our friend invites? It was here that I used to explain to a new friend why I think we should be friends...I grew up in your area, we have X books in common, etc.

I realize we had the whole level of friends discussion already but having this option (note with invite) gives people the chance to explain how they found you and why they think it would be nice to be friends.

I am cautious not because I don't want new friends but because I only want my friend's reviews on my home page. Until then, I'm forced to be selective on acceptance of friends especially without a place for us to explain our interest in each other. It's like knocking on the door of a stranger's house and saying hi, I want to be your friend, let me in...no explanation, just let me in.

message 3: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Searching for people with similar books is definitely a feature on the list of things to build.

Grumpus, I believe the option to send a note with friend invites is still there when using the 'add as a friend' button. The exception is if the person in question has unchecked the 'allow anyone to message me' preference.

message 4: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 41 comments I always explain with the nifty "send note" feature--I find it works well, and I know if someone asked to friend me, I'd be curious how they knew me.

I also like the idea of being able to search by common book interest to find new folks, since my main purpose is to read and share reviews and find more things to read (like I really need an excuse to add to my to-read list!). :)

-Rob

message 5: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Brian | 1 comments I too would love to be able to search for people with common books/interests/ratings. For example, I enjoy reading about physics, and want to find people with similar tastes to get recommendations, so I would love to be able to say, "X, Y, and Z are my favorite three books about physics - search for users who have read at least two out of those three and rated them at least four stars". I feel like locating people with such common interests is diffult right now; I tend to pick an individual book, look for users with high ratings of that book, as well as reviews that sound similar to my own opinion, and then have a look at the rest of their list to see if we have other things in common.

In short, I am sure there are some individuals out there that share my taste in physics books, or my taste in comic books, or my taste in self-help books, but as of yet I've not found it too easy to locate individuals in each of those groups.