We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Your 2010 Reading Logs > Jayne's 2010 Reading Den

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Welcome to my den!

I love visualisations. ^_^

You're all welcome to come hang out with me in my den anytime! I have floor cushions, too. ^_^

Or else, we could actually move the Oriental screen aside and open up the den to be part of the lounge, which is a little more colourful.

And if it starts to get too stuffy in here, then we can open up the screen door and head outside. ^_^

message 2: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 08, 2010 01:42PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Okay, setting up my bookshelf to add all the books I read this year here:

Read in 2010:

* Alpha and Omega, by Patricia Briggs in the anthology "On the Prowl" - (4 Stars)
1. Cry Wolf, Patricia Briggs (Re-read) - (4 Stars)
2. Hunting Ground, (Bk.2 Alpha and Omega), Patricia Briggs - (4.5 Stars)
3. Death Angel, Linda Howard - (2.5 Stars)
4. The Warlord Wants Forever, (Prequel, Immortals After Dark series), Kresley Cole - (3.5 Stars)
5. Untouchable, (#8 Immortals After Dark series) by Kresley Cole in the anthology Deep Kiss of Winter - (4 Stars)
6. Summers at Castle Auburn, Sharon Shinn (3.5 Stars)
7. Poison Study, Maria V. Snyder - (5 Stars)
8.Blue-Eyed Devil, (Bk. 2 Travises), Lisa Kleypas - Re-Read (5 Stars)
9. The Poison Throne, (Bk. 1 of the Moorehawke Trilogy), by Celine Kiernan (4.5 Stars)
10. Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick (3.5 Stars)
11. Saving Francesca, by Melina Marchetta (5 Stars)
12. The Piper's Son, by Melina Marchetta (5 Stars)
13. Pleasure of a Dark Prince, (Immortals After Dark #9), by Kresley Cole (5 Stars)
14. Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles (5 Stars)
15. Beauty : A retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (3 Stars)
16. Dark Lover, #1 BDB, by J.R. Ward - Re-Read (4 Stars)
17. Lover Eternal, # 2 BDB, by J.R. Ward - Re-Read (5 Stars)
18. Lover Awakened, #3 BDB, by J.R. Ward - Re-read (5 Stars)
19. Wings, (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike -(3.5 Stars)

Alpha & Omega A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Prequel) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs Death Angel by Linda Howard The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas The Poison Throne (The Moorehawke Trilogy, #1) by Celine Kiernan Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry Trilogy, #1) by Simone Elkeles Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike

message 3: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 08, 2010 01:25PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Books I'm looking forward to/need to keep note of in 2010:

1 March 2010 - The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta - (Got it! YAY!!! ^_^)
16 Feb 2010 but 4 March 2010 on Book Depository - Pleasure of a Dark Prince by Kresley Cole - Pre-Ordered from BD (Got it!)
1 April 2010 - Silver Borne (Bk. 4 Mercy Thompson), Patricia Briggs - Pre-Ordered from BD
29 April 2010 - Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood Bk. 9) by JR Ward - Pre-ordered from BD
3 May 2010 - Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey (author of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Darkside) - Pre-Ordered from BD
25 May 2010 - Married by Morning, Bk. 4 Hathaways, by Lisa Kleypas - Pre-Ordered from BD
25 May 2010 - Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn - Pre-Ordered from BD
29 June 2010 - Love in the Afternoon, Bk. 5 Hathaways, by Lisa Kleypas - Pre-Ordered from BD
20 July 2010 - Linger by Maggie Stiefvater (sequel to Shiver)
24 August 2010 - Mockingjay, Third installment to the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
31 August 2010 - Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) - Note to self: Don't forget to pre-order later.
7 September 2010 - The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (first of the Infernal Devices Series - prequel to the Mortal Instruments series)
30 September 2010 - Crave, Bk. 2 Fallen Angels, J.R. Ward - Pre-Ordered from BD

Irish/St. Patrick's Day Challenge - 1/3/10- 31/3/10

1. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - Author with Irish surname and has "Patrick" in it. (READ)
2. The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta - Character of Irish heritage named Siobhan Sullivan and has reference to St. Michael in the book. (READ)
3. Beauty by Robin McKinley - St. Patrick's Day read and author with Irish surname (READ)
4. Dark Lover by J.R. Ward - Character of Irish heritage, ie. Butch O'Neal, and there's a rainbow in it! (READ)

Read count 4/4

April Showers Bring May Flowers Challenge - 1/4/10 - 31/5/10

1. Lover Revealed by J.R.Ward - Colour of the rainbow - Orange
2. Lover Unbound by J.R.Ward - Colour of the rainbow - Blue
3. Rules of Attraction (#2 Perfect Chemistry) by Simone Elkeles - Release date April 2010 and has showers/rain on the cover.
4. For the Roses by Julie Garwood - Flowers on the Cover
5. Lover Mine by J.R. Ward - Colour of the rainbow cover - Green (UK Edition)
*Possible? The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson - Has green grass and butterfly - very Spring-looking cover, also colours in the rainbow.

message 4: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 19, 2010 01:00AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Copying from my Cyber Book Club so some of these may not make as much sense. ^_^

* Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf, in the anthology On the Prowl.

(4 Stars)

Really enjoyed seeing when Charles and Anna first met. Thanks, Lisa, for telling me about this! Will read the other stories in the anthology at a later time.

(Posted 2 Jan 2010)

1. Cry Wolf, (Bk. 1 Alpha and Omega), Patricia Briggs (Re-read).

(4 Stars)

Re-read to remind myself, as it's been ages since I read it. Well, it feels like ages. It was only last year. ^_^

Now, on to Hunting Ground!

message 5: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:30AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 7 Jan 2010)

2. Hunting Ground, (Bk.2 Alpha and Omega), Patricia Briggs.

(4.5 Stars)

Really enjoyed this. Having just read Alpha and Omega and re-reading Cry Wolf, though, reading the explanations of a what an Omega is annoyed me just a teeny bit. Though, this book did expand a bit on it, and of course, if it was to stand on its own, explanations would be needed. What I enjoyed most about this book was the development of Charles' and Anna's relationship and them developing their communication with each other as a newly mated pair. And while I have not enjoyed reading of the horrors that happened to both Anna in this series and Mercy in the Mercedes Thompson series, I do like how Patricia Briggs deals with these issues within these new relationships, showing the struggles of both the heroines and the heroes in how to move past such a traumatic event, in order for their relationship to grow. I love Charles and Anna, as a couple.

message 6: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:30AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 11 Jan 2010)

3. Death Angel, Linda Howard.

(2.5 Stars)

While I have really enjoyed most of Linda Howard's Romantic Suspense books, this one was just OK, for me. It is a story about a drug lord's girlfriend, an assassin, second-chances and dramatic life changes. It started off smokingly and then dragged for quite a bit before picking up again. I felt there just wasn't enough development between the leads. The thing I've loved about Howard's books is the sizzle and banter between the leads. This book lacked that, for me.

message 7: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:29AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 14 Jan 2010)

4. The Warlord Wants Forever, (Prequel, Immortals After Dark series), Kresley Cole.

(3.5 Stars)

I actually read this in the Playing Easy to Get anthology but it is thick enough to count as a book on its own. Plus, I lent this book to a friend, so, will read the other 2 stories later. Enjoyed reading about Nicolai and Myst, as I've read bits about them from the other books in the series. But I forgot how steamy Kresley Cole's books are. Whoa, baby! LOL Glad I read this after the cool change. Still lovin them Valkyrie ladies. ^_^ Though, Nikolai's not one of my faves in this series. I love Sebastian and Conrad.

message 8: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:29AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 17 Jan 2010)

5. Untouchable, (#8 Immortals After Dark series) by Kresley Cole in the anthology Deep Kiss of Winter.

(4 Stars)

I really enjoyed this. This is the 8th story in the Immortals After Dark series. It is about Murdoch Wroth, a.k.a "The Manwhore” (this really irks him LOL), one of the Wroth vampire brothers, and Daniela the Ice Maiden, the half Valkyrie, half ice fey. I really felt for Daniela whose Iceren blood means she cannot be touched as it burns her and causes her great pain and must live in a freezing meat-locker bedroom to help her "recharge" from the heat of New Orleans, or risk death by thermal shock. And Murdoch, who can never kiss and touch his Bride, even though he never wanted a Bride to begin with. This was another hot instalment by Kresley Cole and I don’t think I can ever see an icicle the same again. LOL I’m glad I read “The Warlord Wants Forever” (#1 of IAD – Nicolai Wroth’s story) before this, as the two are closely linked and there are events that happen concurrently. There are events in Sebastian’s (No Rest for the Wicked) and Conrad’s books (Dark Needs at Night’s Edge), the other two Wroth brothers, that also occur concurrently with this story. So, it would be better to have read those 3 stories before reading this one. I loved the Epilogue.

"Just looking at her wrecks me. I'm tempted every second by something that's dazzling and perfect - and always just out of reach."
~ Murdoch Wroth, Untouchable by Kresley Cole

I will go back and read Gena Showalter’s story at a later time.

Looking forward to Lucia the Huntress’ and Garreth MacRieve’s story. ^_^

http://kresleycole.com/books/pleasure...

message 9: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:28AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 24 Jan 2010)

6. Summers at Castle Auburn, Sharon Shinn.

(3.5 Stars)

Liked it. The writing was actually quite beautiful and I had read great reviews on this book. I wonder whether my lack of love for this book had to do with the stress I was feeling at the time of reading? Also, I was annoyed with the heroine in the beginning but loved seeing her grow up and begin to see things around her through different eyes.

message 10: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:46PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 25 Jan 2010)

7. Poison Study, Maria V. Snyder.

(5 Stars)

Really enjoyed this book. Longer review at a later time.

message 11: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:27AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 31 Jan 2010)

8. Blue-Eyed Devil, (Bk. 2 Travises), Lisa Kleypas.

Re-read. I changed my rating from 4.5 Stars to 5 Stars as I enjoyed it more, and it was more meaningful to me, the second time around.

message 12: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:47PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 25 Feb 2010)

9. The Poison Throne, (Bk. 1 of the Moorehawke Trilogy), by Celine Kiernan.

(4.5 Stars)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*does cartwheels*

I finished a book! It's been 3 weeks since I finished one!

The Poison Throne was a book that sucked me in at a time when I was struggling to connect to a book, and started a few just to put them aside. I didn't want to put this one aside but had to quite a bit because of work stresses. I had no trouble getting back into it though.

Christopher? Aaaaahhh... he just tugged at my heartstrings. I want to know him better! I really cared about Wynter, Christopher, Razi and Lorcan. And even Alberon! Even though I only got to know him through the love of his friends. King Jonathan? I wanted to kill him!

I look forward to reading the next book. The story has only just begun, really. Intrigue, politics, friendship, family, sacrifice, ghosts, talking cats, heart-warming and heart-wrenching moments (I got teary a few times)...there was all this in the story!

I did have a few issues with the book. It lacked in action, in comparison to books like Graceling and Poison Study, though the violence in it was rather gruesome. I felt the story was more of a lead in to the trilogy and an introduction to the characters rather than a story just in itself. The writing flowed well, but there were moments when the author was describing the physicality of the characters, that I felt taken out of the story and was trying to figure out what that body language meant. Although, I wonder whether that was a writing technique to make you wonder about the character's motivations/intentions?

Overall, though, certainly a captivating book and I truly care about knowing what will become of these characters.

message 13: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:34AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 1 March 2010)

10. Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick.

(3.5 Stars)

I finished Hush, Hush last night, but...hmmm...not sure how to rate it yet. I was really sucked into it at the beginning, and did keep wanting to read it until I finished, but...I don't know... just feel like there's something missing. I'll have to think on it before I review it.

message 14: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:34AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 6 March 2010)

11. Saving Francesca, by Melina Marchetta.

(5 Stars)

Re-read and loved it even more the second time around. I was smiling a lot re-reading this and loved spending time with Francesca again. I was paying more attention to Thomas Mackee and Tara Finke this time in preparation for The Piper's Son.

I definitely recommend a re-read before reading The Piper's Son.

message 15: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:33AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments (Posted 6 March 2010)

12. The Piper's Son, by Melina Marchetta.

(5 Stars)

I started reading this on the 3rd year anniversary of my brother's passing. It was very appropriate considering that The Piper's Son is about dealing with grief even years after the loss and the effects it has on families, friendships and relationships. Loved getting to know Tom's family and seeing Francesca, Justine, Tara, Siobhan and Will again, 5 years later.

This book was heart-wrenchingly beautiful, real and honest. Loved it.

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Very nice, Lady Jane! You've done a beautiful job of decorating!

message 17: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:47PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 13. Pleasure of a Dark Prince, (Immortals After Dark #9), by Kresley Cole.

(5 Stars)

I loved Garreth and Lucia. Garreth is my fave Lykae! What he would do just to make sure that he didn't hurt Lucia, and that he didn't take away her right to consent, during his compulsions under the pull of the full moon, made me love him dearly. I loved how Garreth wished a female would present him with a challenge, and boy, did Lucia ever! The scenes concerning Lucia's past were painful to read. Grizzly's trademark steam was most definitely in this book. Phew! *fans self* And as usual, Nix and Regin cracked me up. Looking forward to Regin's book. The Accession seems to be in full swing.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Very nice, Lady Jane! You've done a beautiful job of decorating!"

Thanks, Dhestiny! ^_^

message 19: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 15, 2010 05:58AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 14. Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles

(5 Stars)

I loved this book! Perfect Chemistry is an urban story of star-crossed lovers from “different sides of the track” – Brittany Ellis, from the "north side", a picture perfect rich girl who is captain of the pom squad (ie. a cheerleader), and bad-boy Alex Fuentes, from the "south side", a member of the Latino Bloods Gang. At first, I wondered how I could fall for a gang member, but Alex stole my heart. The fact that my Alex Fuentes looked like Steven Strait in my head didn’t hurt either. ^_~

I was drawn into this story from the beginning and spent an enjoyable weekend reading it. I felt a connection to both Alex and Brittany, who wear masks every day and hide their true selves and fears from the world. But behind those veneers are two people who are struggling in their own worlds, and they find they have more in common than they thought. What starts out as a forced seating arrangement in a Chemistry lab turns into so much more, and starts an elemental change and pull that neither of them can resist. They must fight expectations, duty, prejudice and other chains that drag them apart.

The story may be one that's been told before, but it is how Simone Elkeles’ paints the story of Alex and Brittany through a blend of both their perspectives, with what I feel are very authentic voices, that brings an honesty and depth to the characters, and thus, the story. I loved how each chapter alternated between Brittany’s and Alex’s POVs and yet the story flowed well. I couldn't help but feel immersed in their world and to care about what happened to them.

The scene near the end left me in tears, and there’s a violent scene in here that was very difficult for me to read because it brought back the pain of a violence that touched my own family’s lives. As I closed the last page, though, I was left smiling and actually wanted the epilogue to keep going.

This is the first book I've read by Simone Elkeles and I look forward to the sequel, Rules of Attraction, and reading other books penned by this author.

**CONTENT WARNING - Since this is a YA book I will include a warning that this book contains Sexual, Drug and Alcohol, Course Language and Violent Content - Recommended for Older Teens**

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Lady Jayne wrote: "Welcome to my den!

I love visualisations. ^_^

-Jayne, your house is lovely. We could have bookclub meetings by the pool!

message 21: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments wow, your place looks so much more interesting than mine....

message 22: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:32AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Thanks, Danielle and Bekah!

Oh, we could definitely have bookclub meetings by the pool! You gals bring the eye candy! Oh, wait. We're supposed to be discussing books. Well, can't hurt to have some eye candy as we do so, right? LOL

*sighs* If only my RL house was this beautiful. But then, I'd never want to leave it to go to work. That's already a struggle as it is. Give me a book to curl up with any day! ^_^

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments We can have the eye candy bring us drinks and snacks, and hold our parasols, and flex their muscles for our viewing pleasure. LOL!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Sounds like a great plan, Danielle! ^_^

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments :)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 15. Beauty : A retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley. (Cyber Book Club Feb BotM)

(3 Stars)

It took me ages to read this. I started to read it in Feb (but I was in some kind of a reading funk then and struggled to get into any book; I read maybe 2 books for all of Feb). I kept reading the same page over and over and finally I put it aside. I picked it up again on St. Patty's Day and finished it. I liked it but didn't love it. I felt like the first half of the book dragged and only got interesting when Beauty met the Beast. I notice that most of you who have read it here at Cyber really liked it though and wonder if I would have felt differently had I not tried to read it during my reading funk? I guess I'll never know. *shrugs*

message 27: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 21, 2010 01:26AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 16. Dark Lover, #1 BDB, by J.R. Ward

(4 Stars)

Re-read in preps for book 8. I've missed the Brothers!

My fave quote from this book is still:

"Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee."

**Spoilers**

I got so teary reading about Tohr and Wellsie, knowing what will happen. It breaks my heart. I miss Wellsie. She's so awesome! I just can't bear to think of Tohr with anyone else. :'(

message 28: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I choked up big time with Tohr and Wellsie and I'm none too happy about Torh having a new HEA. :(

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments I'm still not losing hope that Tohr's HEA is actually Wellsie. I mean, I still feel like Ward just established so much that they are soul mates and meant to be together, it is going to be a really hard sell to convince to accept anyone else for him. I just adored Wellsie.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Okay, time to list my recent reads.

17. Lover Eternal, # 2 BDB, by J.R. Ward - Re-read

(5 Stars)

I love Rhage and Mary. And I loved seeing when Z and Bella first met again.

message 31: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 06, 2010 03:02AM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 18. Lover Awakened, # 3 BDB, by J.R. Ward - Re-read

(5 Stars)

I am so in love with Zsadist. *sighs* This book just wrecks me. Every. Single. Time. For a number of reasons.

message 32: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) Lady Jayne:

Your place is fabulous! I like Danielle's idea of the "eye candy" serving us by the pool. I'll take a Mojito. :) I, too, am totally and utterly in love with Zsadist. His was the first book that ever made me cry.

message 33: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 08, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Thanks, Chichimo! One can never have too much eye candy, true? ^_^

One mojito coming up!

These are the new trainees:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1280/1...

This one has done nothing but laze by/in the pool. But since he's so yummy, he gets to stay. ^_^

http://www.homotrophy.com/images/2009...

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Oh! Forgot to post this here!

19. Wings, (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike.

(3.5 Stars)

My friend borrowed this from her library, enjoyed it, and lent it to me. Thanks, Trish! ^_^ Wings was a fast and enjoyable read and a bit of a break from BDB. I was struggling with how to rate it though as I'm somewhere between "Liked it" and "Really liked It", and so, I've settled on a 3.5 Star rating. This is a debut novel by Aprilynne Pike and has an endorsement by Stephenie Meyer as "A Remarkable Debut". While not quite remarkable for me, it was certainly a good enough start to a series that I am interested to read the next book.

If you want to read a twist on the faerie story and if you enjoy love triangles, then you may want to check this out. Since I haven't read any other YA books specifically on faeries yet, though I have Lament and Wicked Lovely waiting on my shelf, I can't compare this book to other faerie/fairy/fae/fey (let me count the ways?) stories. Though from what I do know about faeries (and having read some other reviews), this book has a very interesting "twist" on the faerie story.

Wings is the story of 15 year old Laurel who has been homeschooled up until this point and has started her first year of high school. Along with adapting to high school, Laurel undergoes some surprising changes and learns that she is not who she thought she was. My favourite part of the book was the character of David. He is so sweet, logical, patient and understanding. I really like him. And then on the other hand, there is Tamani, who ignites chaotic feelings in Laurel that she's never felt before. I am Team David. Though I feel I haven't got the chance to really know Tamani yet, so who knows? I had a few issues with some repetitiveness of the dialogue in the beginning of this book, and I got a bit frustrated with Laurel at certain points, but I do look forward to reading the next book in the series to see where this goes.

message 35: by Christine (last edited Apr 08, 2010 03:09PM) (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 424 comments I've been holding out reading Wings in favor of other faerie-based books, but you made it sound better than the summary did, so I'm putting it toward the top of my to-read list. Thanks!

(Also, I thought Wicked Lovely was AMAZING. I didn't like the rest of the series much, but the first book is definitely worth reading.)

message 36: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 08, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Thanks for the tip on Wicked Lovely, Christine! So, is there any point reading after the first book in the Wicked Lovely series? It doesn't end of a cliff-hanger, does it? Will I be satisfied with just the first book? I only bought that one to start with to see if I would like the rest of the series.

And with Wings, it wasn't "Amazing" for me but I enjoyed it enough and look forward to seeing where the story goes. A friend of mine said that the second book due out in May, Spells, has gotten some starred reviews.

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 424 comments It doesn't end on much of a cliffhanger. You could read it as a standalone and be okay. The only reason I went on is because I liked Seth so much.

message 38: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 08, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments Thanks, Christine! How many books are there? Are you able to indicate without spoilers (just in case I decide to read the rest) what your issues were with the other books in the series?

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 424 comments I'll try to keep it vague.

There are 4 books in total so far: Wicked Lovely, Ink Exchange, Fragile Eternity, and Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4) (out on April 20th). Loved Wicked Lovely, thought the premise was original (this was before the surge of fey-related books, of course) and really liked Seth, so I continued on with the series.

My main issue with Ink Exchange was the change of narrative, going from Aislinn to one of Aislinn's friends, Leslie. It was kind of hard to get into because I didn't care for Leslie at all, but I ended up feeling for her toward the end.

I didn't like Fragile Eternity, however. The storyline was unnecessary (in my opinion) and dragged out for too long. The way Melissa Marr ended things didn't sit well with me, so I've severed ties with the series unless somewhere down the line Ms. Marr fixes everything.

message 40: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) Lady Jayne wrote: "Thanks, Chichimo! One can never have too much eye candy, true? ^_^

One mojito coming up!

These are the new trainees:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1280/1...

This one has d..."

I can find plenty for Mr Lazy to do! Yummy

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 20. Lover Revealed, #4 Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward.

(5 Stars)

Re-read.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (ladyjayne) | 400 comments 21. Leaving Paradise (#1 Paradise series) by Simone Elkeles.

(4 Stars)

Loved this! Can't wait for the second book, Return to Paradise, coming out in September 2010, as the story is not over yet. Longer review to follow later.