Older Writers discussion

GoodReads Writing > my books should mean nothing to me and everything to the reader

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hertzan (last edited May 23, 2008 02:53AM) (new)

Hertzan Chimera (hertzanchimera) yeah, but Mike, you HATE THE READER.
Do I?
Well hasn't somebody been taking notes like a good little marketing donkey?

Well, listen to this. I hope no interviewers start asking me, "Mike, what are your books supposed to be saying about your view of the literary world, or the financial world, or the moral world or the religious world? Where's your perspective?"

I don't need one. That's what all the fools who read Hertzan Chimera aka Mike Philbin always forget. When I write, I write to theme and task ONLY. I don't exist. The reader doesn't exist. Yes, I hate the reader, in that he/she is a viral entity that not only feeds off but thinks it can affect anything about the way I look at the world or depict it in my crazy-adult ways.

When I say that 'my books should mean nothing to me and everything to the reader' I'm stressing the importance of the private journey. It's something that came naturally when I was an artist of psycho-figurative life-size oil paintings in the 80's and 90's. During the openings for these one-man shows, clients would come up to me and tell me the story of the painting as they saw it, what it meant to them. They were wrong, I don't even know what most of those (destroyed) paintings ever meant, but the viewer inserted him/herself into the picture.

I hope the reader will do the same with my Silverthought books "Bukkakeworld" and "Planet of the Owls" - due in trade paperback, July 2008.

UPDATE: this thread has been picked up by the anti-corporate-fiction collective OUTSIDER WRITERS. You can leave comments, favourite and rate the thread.

message 2: by Hertzan (last edited Jun 26, 2008 02:29AM) (new)

Hertzan Chimera (hertzanchimera) it's nearly July, and what's so exciting about July, you ask? Silverthought Press of New York will publish my two latest novels in trade paperback.

Bukkakeworld - http://www.silverthought.com/bw

Planet of the Owls - http://www.silverthought.com/poto

those pre-order links show a synopsis, excerpt and final cover of each book. They're looking great and I'm very excited (there's that word again) about them. Thanks for reading.

Mike

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brunner (maureenbrunner) | 8 comments congratulations!