Jane Austen discussion

Jane in June

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Alright, I really have no idea if this is where this post should go, but I have questions for you guys. I've been craving my Jane lately (used to read her over and over like clockwork, but I've been slacking), so I've decided to have a month long event on my blog called Jane in June, where I'm going to focus on Jane for the entire month. Her books, sequels based on her, her life, movies - in short, anything and everything Jane.
Since June is a couple of months away, the details are still sketchy, but I figured you guys would be the ones to come to for ideas. (I'm not trying to pester or spam you, it's just I want this to be fun and I need all the Jane perspectives I can get). So if you have any ideas or suggestions for me, or you want to participate, please let me know here or on the initial Jane in June post on my blog, here:
http://bookrat-misty.blogspot.com/201...

Thanks. :)

message 2: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Great plan, Misty!

Maybe you could hold an art contest. People submit a photo to you of an art creation that relates to Austen or Austen's world. You could create a gallery for the top ten or whatever and display them for a certain time, etc. That would be huge fun.

message 3: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Ooh, that would be fun. Hmm...

message 4: by Usako (last edited Mar 08, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments This sounds silly but if you're very artistic, you could do a photomosiac of Jane Austen's silhouette by using submitted images?

Kinda how this photomosiac was made of Yoda.
Yoda Pix

You could do a poetry/haiku contest. Jane in Lego Contest. Most creative use of a favorite Austen quote.

For the humor side, maybe an interview with one of Austen's characters.

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I love your ideas Tanja. Very creative.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Oh another humor one is to find photographs/paintings/drawings from the Austen era. Do the provide a caption contest! Imagine the results!

Or maybe a modern day Jane sighting! What people/every day situations remind you of an Austen book or Jane Austen herself?

message 7: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I agree. Good stuff. I know for sure that I am going to have interviews of some Jane-sequel authors, and some giveaways. I also am hoping for some guest posts, but I don't have those sussed out. I had an idea this morning, though, that I am loving, and that I could maybe mine the brains of this fine group for:
Dear Jane love letters.
Or Jane-lover letters, I should say. Throughout the month, I want to feature letters written to Jane by her fans, about why they love her, what she means, or just whatever they want to say to Jane. I think it could be really fun and interesting. And it's one of those things that means you don't have to have a blog to participate, because you're just sending the letters to me to be posted.
So if anyone's interested and wants to write a Dear Jane letter by June, I'd love to have ya!

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Misty, I LOVE that idea of love letters! Writing letters was such an important feature in her books! <3

message 9: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments And I think so many people would have something to say to her. Everyone has their own unique taste and reasons and experiences to bring to the table.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 09, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

Tanja wrote: "Misty, I LOVE that idea of love letters! Writing letters was such an important feature in her books! <3"

Tanja,

I love all of your ideas! (cool pic of Yoda, too).

And, Misty, I think the idea of writing a letter is ideal. "Dear Jane, you pierce my soul...!" I'll have to put a bit of more (ahem) original thought into it! :)

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments Love the ideas and look forward to reading the blog :-)

message 12: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Tanja wrote: "Misty, I LOVE that idea of love letters! Writing letters was such an important feature in her books!

Tanja,

I love all of your ideas! (cool pic of Yoda, too).

And, Misty, I think ..."

Yes, haven't I heard that one somewhere before?

message 13: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I'm looking forward to Jane in June too!

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 17 comments Great project! If it's going to be like a reading/book/author-challenge, I'm definitely in! :)

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments It is what you make it. I'm not requiring that people read certain things, or a certain amount. I'm just encouraging that they read something Jane -written or -related. And there will be many giveaways and whatnot, author interviews and guest posts, etc. It's shaping up to be pretty awesome, and you guys have got my gears turning...

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 73 comments Great idea! I "followed" you and look forward to reading your blog.

message 17: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments :)

message 18: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone I'm going to follow you too, and really look forward to Jane in June!

message 19: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Aw, shucks, guys... ;p

message 20: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments Following three! :)
(as vm / votermom which is my blogger name)

message 21: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone Misty wrote: "Aw, shucks, guys... ;p"

Oh, and I'm bookmole.

message 22: by Justine (last edited Mar 28, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

Justine I'm Cheating..... After posting my blog Janeite I saw this post for Jane in June and got all excited. Well as I explain here in my post Austen in April I cant wait till June! But I look forward to the fun!

message 23: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 57 comments Hey Misty
Is it too late for more suggestions?
What about letters to and from characters after the story is over? What kind of letter would Henry Crawford write to Fanny a few years after her marriage? or Wickman,what would he write to Darcy or Lizzy. Would he be charming or begging. Would Lydia grow up? And Anne Steele, what would her letter be to Elinor or Marianne?
It could be fun.
I'm looking forward to Jane in June.

message 24: by Misty (last edited Mar 29, 2010 12:16PM) (new)

Misty | 37 comments Justine: :D

Lani: It won't be too late for suggestions until end of May, and even then, there's always next year...
If people are willing to do things like that, I would love it, but I don't know how many I'd be able to do myself. Anne Steele would be an interesting one, for sure. Hmm...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you mean Lucy Steele from Sense and Sensibility? :)

message 26: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Yep. Thought something didn't sound right. ha.

message 27: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 57 comments Anne Steel is Lucy's sister. Anne was the one crazy about the doctor and she was left high and dry by Lucy when she married Robert F. It would be interesting to see where she ended up after the story ended.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Lani. I am lousy with first names, even more so with the more minor characters. :) I would imagine that Lucy marrying well improved her social standing, if not her fortune.

message 29: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 57 comments Jeannette wrote: "Thanks, Lani. I am lousy with first names, even more so with the more minor characters. :) I would imagine that Lucy marrying well improved her social standing, if not her fortune."

I guess I got my pronouns messed up. Anne was left high and dry by Lucy. Lucy married Robert Ferras. I could see Lucy lording over Elinor as she shmoozed the mother in law

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure that Elinor was happy to leave Lucy to the Ferrars family party!

message 31: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I would imagine so!

message 32: by Jody (new)

Jody (spoonfulofhappyendings) | 5 comments Lovely ideas! I'm really looking forward to June already! :)

message 33: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I just did an update:
http://bookrat-misty.blogspot.com/201...

There's a list of some of the prizes on offer, too!
(I'm getting really excited!)

message 34: by Jody (new)

Jody (spoonfulofhappyendings) | 5 comments Looks great, Misty; will definitely enter!

Jody

message 35: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6 comments Those ideas are so fun! I cant wait to read those letters, maybe I will write one too..If I have enough time. :)

Misty you ROCK! :)

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments *gets super excited!!*

message 37: by Tasheena (new)

Tasheena Smith | 2 comments I can't wait! I really need a Jane Austen month :D

message 38: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
Jane in June looks AWESOME!! I just followed you, Misty!

message 39: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Thanks, everyone!
And, yes, please, Nina!!!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, this sounds like fun! I'll defiantly follow you blog,too! :D

message 41: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments :)

message 42: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Hey, my lovely Janeites! I did a little update the other day (http://bookrat-misty.blogspot.com/201...) where I mentioned some of the prizes and what not, and it got me thinking about what I am going to offer myself.
At first, I was going to do some book giveaways, but I already have so many being given away by authors and fellow Janelovers that it seemed unnecessary, and I decided I'd rather do something different. Then I had it.
I'm going to do two prize packs, 1 for people who participated by writing something for my blog, and the other open to everyone. They are going to be Regency Lady's Survival Kits! I am excited about this, but I want to make them as neato as I can, so I am coming to you for help (again).
I am planning on packaging them in a small hatbox, and including:
- a book or two (tbd)
- "Smelling Salts" (really just pretty bath salts, but with a fun Regency label)
- These neat little rose-petal soaps I make
- a JA necklace (handmade)
- JA stationery/card kit (If you want to see an example of what I'm talking about with the cards and necklace, see this post)
- a bookmark or two
- "Calling cards" with JA phrases on them, and the winner's name
- lace gloves (if I can find them)
- a paper fan

That's all I have for now. If you guys can think of anything that would be fun and appropriate, and is easily shippable, let me know. I especially want fun twists on things, like the smelling salts.

Thanks!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

This all sounds great just the way it is! :)

message 44: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Yeah...
But what else could a Regency lady not survive without? There have got to be some little fun things I'm missing.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Mr. Darcy? But he's taken. :)

(I promise to think about a better answer.)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Misty wrote: "Yeah...
But what else could a Regency lady not survive without? There have got to be some little fun things I'm missing."

If you can't find gloves, handkerchiefs are nice.

message 47: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments Ooh, good call! Definitely need a handkerchief.
And a Darcy. Hmm...

message 48: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments Caps, bonnets, shawls, and reticule.

The reticule is a small, decorative handbag in which Regency ladies carried their toiletries and other necessities.

Reticules Held a Lady's Necessities
In Jane Austen's Emma, Mrs. Elton carried a letter in her purple and gold reticule. Whether plain or fancy, the handbags carried only a few necessities, such as a scent bottle or vinaigrette, calling card case, hankerchief, comb, breath mints, a pencil in a case and tablet for writing, a small coin purse, or other toiletry articles. The small bags quickly gained popularity and soon became indispensable. In 1799, reticules were featured in a November fashion plate in the Gallery of Fashion, and on a Grand Tour in Paris in 1801, Katherine Wilmot observed that reticules reminded her of "little workbags."

Reference Page
Read more at Suite101: The Reticule, A Regency Handbag: Regency Fashion http://georgian-victorian-britain.sui...

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I thought about doing a tiny little handbag in the hat box, but I don't know if I can find any that would work.
Breathmints is a good idea, especially since I work at a crafts store and have access to little tins that I can decorate. A comb, too, if I can find one that's appropriate. Or maybe I can find one of those combs you stick into your hair to hold it in place...

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 73 comments Wouldn't a fan be something as well. Especially in the late spring and summer months. Every regency novel or movie i've read usually mentions fans.

« previous 1