For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Challenges > Theme Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Suggestions for a theme that you would like to have picked for future monthly challenges.

It could be authors, genres, colors, book cover themes (flowers), numbers. Really anything.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

hm....idk, i will let you know if i think of one!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good to me. You can pick a theme for books you want to read :)

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ how about books by authors from different countries? an author from asia? or the middle east? or south america?

message 5: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Here are some of my suggestions Movies, Weddings, Beaches or Vacations, and fairy tales.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sci-fi, horror

message 7: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments Read a book by an author whose first or last name starts with the same letter of your first or last name.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That is a good one Annaclaire. Everyone's books would be completely different. :)

message 9: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments It's actually very similar to the middle stage of the Children's Summer Reading. It's for 'independent readers' (usually around 1st grade) to fourth grade. They spin a little wheel to land on a letter and that letter either has to start the title of the book or the author's first or last name. It was really fun.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Except we don't have a wheel... What will we do with out a wheel? J/K

I never heard about the Children's Summer reading. We have shelves and shelves full of kid books. My boys have their own library and a nice cozy bean bag for reading. They have fun with that sometimes.

message 11: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) a book of a certaain publisher or of a certain author (the aouthor could be poll ed)

message 12: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments Oh Appleton's Children Section rocks! I practically grew up there.

The Summer reading program (I don't have a website link because it's march), is probably their best known reading program. I may not be completely up to date because it's been a while since I volunteered with it, but here's the gist.

There's a read-to-me group (birth - approximately age 5/whenever they begin to read mostly independently). There's a calendar that parents mark in the number of minutes they/caregiver/anyone that can read by themselves, of when the little one is read to. Every time they come in they get a smiley face stamp on their calender (whether they're 'read' or not) and each smiley face count as 1 point for the hierarchy of prizes.

Then there's the independent readers through around the forth grade. These children spin a while to get a number to which they move a certain number of spots on their game board (really just a large sheet of colored paper) to land on a letter. They do this twice to get two letters. Then they have to read a book that the title either starts with one or the letters, or the first or last name of the author; so they must read two books before they can spin again.

Then there is the older readers, to which they roll a dice to land on a number to which they will then move to spot on the game board. Each spot has a different genre of book. So before they can play again, they must read two books of usually two different genres.

For the last two groups they get 6 earn points to spend on prizes.

There is also an teen and adult summer reading program but I'm not too familiar with them.

Another great thing about 'my' library children's section, is that it's actually kind of a closed off section of the library. There is a preschool/picture book section in it, that is a section because book shelves actually form a rectangular shape. In this section, along with books, are three preschool computers, puzzles, stuffed animals (which you can also check out), and the all famous train. The train is a large structure that has three carpeted compartments that you can sit in and read, which thrills little ones to death. There are also a big shelf of board books for toddlers.

Very cool place that my parents took me to almost daily growing up.

message 13: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 25 comments Annaclaire wrote: "Read a book by an author whose first or last name starts with the same letter of your first or last name."

That sound like a really good theme I like it!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Sometimes my younger brother will pick a book for me to read, and I will pick a book for him to read. We have to keep an open mind about what the other has picked, and it has introduced me to some decent books.

Sometimes I pick a book off a shelf at random and make myself read it. It is sometimes a challenge if it is out of my normal comfort zone.

I liked the idea about the author's name to your name.

message 15: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I like the idea of the authours name that starts with same letter as your own name too.

message 16: by **Carla** (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:08AM) (new)

**Carla** Here are a couple Ideas....read a book by an author you know nothing about or never heard of before, or read a book that is older than you (published before your born).

message 17: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ good ideas carla. i like the one about a book published before your debut.

message 18: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** thx:)

message 19: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hmmm good second idea

message 20: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ a suggestion: a fictionalized version of a real person's life. historical fiction.

message 21: by KSMary (new)

KSMary Loving Frank: A Novelwould fit that category. It's about Frank Lloyd Wright. Great book!

message 22: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Are you talking about something like a fictionalized biograpy? For example somethings written by Magaret George, Phillipa Gregory, and Alison Weir?

message 23: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Jencey wrote: "Are you talking about something like a fictionalized biograpy? For example somethings written by Magaret George, Phillipa Gregory, and Alison Weir?"

yes, this is exactly what i mean. i find these books fascinating.

message 24: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ KSMary wrote: "Loving Frank: A Novelwould fit that category. It's about Frank Lloyd Wright. Great book!"

that would be a good read!

message 25: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ a book by an author you feel like you should read, but i haven't gotten around to it.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Magaret George!

Another suggestion... Read books off of a friends list of "Read" books. You could go even more in depth and pick only books that they highly recommend with 4 or 5 stars.

message 27: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i really like that one.
if we know someone whos read lots of books, theres variety

message 28: by Andrez (last edited May 13, 2010 05:53AM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) whats net months theme?

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited May 13, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Not sure yet.

I usually make them up as I go. I look at my self pick out several themes and then just decide on which ever strikes me the most. Sometimes I like easy or weird. Most of the time that is too much effort and I just make something up. LOL! But we have great participation with the challenges!

Do you have an idea?

I was thinking about books that have no picture or just a small section on the cover or the opposite where the whole cover is some kind of picture.

Or books that have been made into movies or TV shows. Like CSI novels, Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Catwoman, The Bourne Identity, Gossip Girl, Alias, Sahara, I am legend. The list can go on.

Let me know what you think or if you have some better ideas for the June theme!!

message 30: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I like the book-movie idea

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

That was fast! Wow!

message 32: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol

message 33: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Something I thought about doing for my group but would go with the theme for June and July as a challenge. Make a list of the books that you put on the poll and hav them read as many beach reads that are possible and then create their own list (minnimum of 5 books). Then if you wanted you could vote as a group for the best ones at the end of July.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, the beach. That might just work.

message 35: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i like this idea. we had mentioned it as a theme suggestion and i think it will work well for the summer months. and jencey has a good idea of selecting our favorites.

perhaps we should make it bodies of water on the cover?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

So far we have interest in: 1.) Movie/Show book theme 2.) Bodies of Water/Beach book theme

Sounds good to me. We can make one theme for June and one theme for July????

message 37: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ that'll work!

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela B I like the beach idea a lot :)

message 39: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) eventualy id like the theme to be rereading a book we loved

message 40: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Good one. I don't usually re-read so that would be good for me.

message 41: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) same to me.I need a good excuse or i wont get motivated

message 42: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i already know the book i'd reread too!

message 43: by Angela (new)

Angela B I want to re-read the whole harry potter series...but it shall take me some time

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Perfect. That will be next months theme.

Re-reading books that you love!

Great Idea!!