Terminalcoffee discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oscars are tonight. Discuss.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Now you're just getting lazy.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I really want to see all the clothes and the dresses, but I'm less invested in the winners than I have been in years past. I care, don't get me wrong, but I haven't seen the big top contenders, which I usually try to do before Oscar night.
I'm rooting for Bullock over Streep, for one. And Hurt Locker over Inglorious Basterds for two.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's neat, Bun.

I will watch as usual. Also as usual, I haven't seen any of the nominated films. I'm hopelessly behind the curve that way. But the ones I care about are preloaded into Netflix for when they're available!

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy Watching the Oscars is a bigger deal to me than the Super Bowl. I've watched every year for as long as I can remember. This year I'm really hoping The Hurt Locker wins the big one!

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm watching the pre show online here:
http://mashable.com/2010/03/07/watch-...

I'm so happy to be able to see this, my favorite part, even though we don't have television.

And

Ryan Reynolds is married to Scarlett Johansson? Huh.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sandra Bullock looks gorgeous.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Sandra Bullock looks gorgeous."

You mean in general or right now? Oh you're watching now. Okay never mind.

message 9: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I love watching the red carpet shows! As for the movies themselves, I've only seen a couple of the nominated films, so I'm not all that invested in who wins. But I'll still watch the awards. I'd like Sandra Bullock to win over Meryl Streep, and I'd really like Anna Kendrick to win over Mo'Nique. But I'm feeling pretty certain that Anna doesn't have a chance.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Larry wrote: "Now you're just getting lazy."

Hee. I stand ashamed.

:)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Buns, did you see any celebrities at the farmers market? Like, Sandra Bullock buying oranges or something?

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

OMG someone get James Cameron's wife a cheeseburger! STAT!

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy I love Sandra Bullock's dress and also Vera Farmiga's. Maggie Gyllenhaal's dress is odd.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ryan Reynolds is married to Scarlett Johansson? Huh.

I knew this. They started dating after Ryan and Allanis (sp?) Morrisette (sp?) broke up.

I need to get out more.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Charlize Theron's is unfortunate. She's gorgeous no matter what, but...

And who did Vera Farmiga's hair?

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Two thoughts on Tarentino:

One, that man is all chin.
Two, he is really hyper - the original ADHD child.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kristin Stewart looks like the ultimate surly teenager.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Doesn't she usually? Like the mall security guards just told her she can't sit in the food court all day with her friends?

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Live Oscar blogging from the NY Times...

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com...

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

She does, always.

And AV Club does a hilarious live blog too:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/2010-o...

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Robert Downey Junior has an awesome outfit on. I hope that if Sweeter ever went to the Oscars he'd wear a similar getup.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I liked Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air, but she looks funny tonight, and her dress reminded me of those crepe streamers you use for birthday parties.
I forgot to do predictions this year. I'm going to do them as they go, I guess. Haven't seen Jackie's super-predictions this year either. I guess we're all busy :)

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The interviewers on the red carpet are so phony.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments OK, here are a few quick guesses. Hurt Locker for Best Picture, and Christopher Waltz for supporting actor.The ladies from Precious for the two actress roles. Morgan Freeman for Best Actor even though I don't think he should get it this time. Up for best animated feature even though it should be Coraline.
Kathryn B for best director.
Avatar for all of the technical stuff.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yay NPH!

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm thinking Streep with the upset win for Julie&Julia over Precious and Bullock.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments She was great - I wouldn't mind.
Why are they giving away the whole movie in each clip?

message 28: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 07, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments In addition to the above: J-Lo was gorgeous on the red carpet (she's a presenter i guess) and so glad Mo'Nique won....... well deserved. I am too busy giggly at Sally's play by play..... Kristen Stewart epitome of surly teenager, Quentin T. the first ADHD child.... and on and on and on hehehe...... funny shit here.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love that Mo'Nique won! Huzzah!

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Me too.

message 31: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments She has been so very gracious in all of the hype and yet kept her humor very fun (she is a hoot)..... I like her and am thrilled for her and as i said so well deserved!!!

message 32: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Wow Quentin T.'s tux looks like it was 3 sizes too small......with his coin he should be able to afford a new one or at least a tailor........ holy heck batman.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

And apparently it looks wet? Is he sweaty? What all has he won for tonight...best editing and what else?

message 34: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 07, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I think he is ALWAYS sweaty......... he seems like 'that' type of guy....all hopped up, NOT on his Ritalin.....

message 35: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I can't fully decide if i like Kate Winslets dress......she is so statuesque she literally looks like an Oscar Award...... she is gorgeous though!

message 36: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Jeff Bridges is breaking some of the what not to wear to work rules with that hear/mustache and beard deal going on.......

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I think she is stunning.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

I ♥ Jeff Bridges. He could be describing ceiling paint and I'd still dig it.

message 39: by Misha (last edited Mar 07, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm not sure I like the people talking about the Best Actor/Actress nominees instead of showing a clip of the nominee's work in the film. Isn't this supposed to be about the performance and not the person?

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, I agree Misha. This is weird.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sandra Bullock just won!?!??!! Whaaaa! People are disappointed and pissed all across the country but I'm thrilled!

message 42: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 07, 2010 08:53PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments YES YES...... I totally agree i prefer a clip of the movie to speak for itself although i have to admit I choked up over Oprah talking about Gabby..... WOW congratulations Sandra......she was very funny on Baabaa WaaWaa preshow ..... (she is always cute and funny and this role wasn't primarily that..... good for her)

message 43: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I agree Sally with Jeff....but he is still breaking the rules ;) ..... just a note ;) ...... and much agreed Kate W looked stunning.....just commenting on how statuesque she was...... so porcelain.....

message 44: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Congratulations Hurt Locker...... just saw it last night..... quite a picture! I think the underdog here tonight perhaps, in this category..... nice job.

message 45: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) You're surprised by Bullock's win, Sally? Everyone has been predicting that.

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm glad Cameron's ex won and not Cameron.

message 47: by Félix (last edited Mar 07, 2010 09:46PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Eddie Jemison after learning about the famous person with whom he discussed kolrabi.

message 48: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Yeah, KD, that "horror" salute was pretty tame.

Steve Martin absolutely KILLED last night. Anyone remember the last time he was this funny? My favorite quip of his when he introduced Christoph Waltz. "He played a Jew hunter...here you go, Christoph, a room full of Jews."

That floored me.

One thing that was really cool for me was Roger Corman receiving an honorary Oscar. Granted, none of his films were ever Oscar-worthy, but it was classy for the Academy to recognize his importance in cinema, along with the breaks he gave many an actor and director. Well done, Academy.

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, Misha, I was. Everyone may have been predicting it, but I'm not exactly tuned in to the media. Plus, I just didn't really believe that she'd win over Meryl Streep.

message 50: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Miley Cyrus needs to learn to stand up straight - she stands like she has an incipient hunchback. And Kristen Stewart needs to learn to talk into a microphone.

Charlize Theron's boob dress bothered me. She, of course, looked stunning, because she always looks stunning, but really - a boob dress? Come on.

Anna Kendrick's dress was so pretty. Zoe Saldana grabbed the table decorations from the last Mardi Gras party she attended to attach to the bottom of what otherwise would have been a cute dress. But, as with Charlize Theron, she was stunning anyway.

I want to look half as good as Helen Mirren when I'm 65.

Who is Elizabeth Banks, why do we know her?

Robert Downey Jr's wife looked awesome - love that dress!

« previous 1 3 4