Young Adult Reader Club discussion

Book Discussions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (missjenna) | 586 comments Mod
Hello Everyone,

This Thread is for you to discuss and review books as you read them.

So feel free to let us all know what you thought about the books you've been reading.

message 2: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I am so excited about this discussion thread. Since some of us are not friends, we don't get to see each other's reviews- this way we can share!!

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Yeah it was definitely a good idea. Thanks for suggesting it Kellee!

message 4: by Dana (last edited Mar 08, 2010 05:56AM) (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 25 comments I am almost at the end of The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I feel like a party pooper, but I can't get in to it. It seems like they just continually get assaulted by the undead, and then recover. Did others like it? It kind of reminded me of Hunger Games. I did like Hunger Games, and the sequel.

message 5: by Kellee (last edited Mar 13, 2010 06:46AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Dana, this is my review of The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I wanted to like it more than I did.

Mary lives in a town that is surrounded by fences. The fences are not there to keep the villagers in, but to keep the undead out. The Forest of Hands and Teeth takes place after an apocalypse has occurred where an infection must have been released to infect humans which caused them to become zombies. Mary's town, though, is cut off from all other forms of humanity and they believe that nothing else exists; however, Mary has always believed in the ocean which she knew from her mother's stories.

The book begins with Mary's world falling apart: her father is already infected and in the forest, her mother has been bit, no boy has spoken for her and her faith has become nonexistent. In the next weeks, as Mary is forced to join the religious sisterhood, she encounters not only love, but a girl who strengthens her belief in their being a way to escape.

This book left many questions hanging over my head and I hope with the sequel, they will be answered.

Rating: 3/5

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) The Hunger Games is undisputed awesomeness but The Forest of Hands and Teeth is flawed in a lot of ways. I enjoyed it for its thrills and horrors-it does read like a horror movie!- though I won't go into much more depth than that because then it'd fall apart under scrutiny..

message 7: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Has anyone read Deadly Little Secret? It is a supernatural YA book that I do not hear much about, but I enjoyed.

My review:
Camelia has not felt the same about her life since she almost died. Thankfully, a boy saved her from the car coming straight for her. He saved her and when he touched her she felt a warmth and tingles all over her. The only problem is, he disappeared right after the accident. This was three months ago. He has now shown up at school, but refuses to admit that he is the one who saved her. On top of that, there are rumors running rampant throughout the school that he murdered his girlfriend. Despite all this, though, Camelia cannot help herself; she must learn more about him.

Rating: 4/5

message 8: by Kellee (last edited Apr 01, 2010 09:53PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) The Mark by Jen Nadol The Mark by Jen Nadol

This book by Jen Nadol makes you question many things including life and death and our purpose. With a philosophical undertone, this young adult novel follows an easily likable protagonist named Cassie through her journey of figuring out her purpose.

Cassie started seeing the mark when she was 4 years old, but it wasn't until recently that she figured out what it means.

If you knew someone had less than 24 hours to live, but had no reasonable way of telling them that you knew, would you tell them?

A very unique story!

Rating: 4/5

message 9: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Strange Angels (Strange Angels #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Strange Angels by Lilith Saintcrow

Although Strange Angels is often compared to Twilight in its reviews because it is a paranormal YA novel, it is anything but Twilight. Dru Anderson is the only daughter of a hunter. Her father hunts demons, vampires, werewulfs, etc. Anything found in the "real world." Dru normally goes along with her father because she can see things her father can't, but for this mission, he has her stay home- and then he returns as a zombie. A zombie that Dru now has to kill. So, Dru is an orphan and is going to find the thing that did this to her father.

Although Twilight and Strange Angels share vampires in common, that is about it. Dru is a much stronger, foul mouthed, hard headed protagonist who is our heroine, not our damsel.

I did feel that the language in this book was gratuitous at points and unnecessary. Also, some of the supernatural aspects and action sequences were hard to follow; however, it is a good foundation for a series and the cliffhanger at the end sure makes you want to read more.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes paranormal YA fiction over the age of 14.

Rating: 3/5

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 15, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Is there going to be a separate thread for April's 2010 selections? Also, I was wondering did anyone read Alice Through the Looking Glass? It was one of April's selections. The book did grow on me as I read it, but I have to admit I still don't understand it any better reading it as an adult. How did others feel about the book? Did anyone else make sense of it?

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Yes Nebraska there is a folder that has separate discussions for the books we are reading this month,so feel free to post anything you want there.

message 12: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Read two books recently about Women's roles in India and Afghanistan. I think everyone should read them.

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan Homeless Bird

Koly is thirteen. And like most girls her age in India, she is going to get married. When she arrives at her grooms home she learns that much of what they said in their proposal letter was a lie. This begins a downward spiral fueled by tradition for Koly.

This book is a coming of age story set in a different culture which gives the reader a different view of the world. I, personally, knew very little about the Hindu culture and loved that I could learn about it while traveling with Koly in this story.

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis The Breadwinner

The Taliban has been in full control of Kabul, Afghanistan for years now. Because of this take-over, girls are no longer allowed to go to school, women must wear burqas when they leave the house only accompanied by men, and all females in general are pretty much stuck in their homes. The heroine of this novel, Parvana, wants more than anything to be a normal girl again, but for now she much be happy with going to the marketplace daily with her father. Even this small amount of happiness is taken from her, though, when her father is arrested for attending a university in Britain. With him gone, how are Parvana and her family going to survive without a male?

This book taught me about Afghan history and culture. I did not know the extent of the war and terror. I am grateful for Parvana and her family for showing me their life.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) I agree Kellee, Strange Angels is my favorite new series...fast paced, well written, just the right amount of description, touch of mystery. Good read.

Dru is my hero!

message 14: by Deniz (new)

Deniz | 2 comments The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
The five people you meet in heaven is about a old maintenance guy in an amusement park named Eddie who dies in a freak accident in the place he works. In heaven he encounters with five people who have affected his life in some form and with each person he is taught a new eye opening lesson.
I highly recommend this book, it was a life changing and inspiration book for me and i loved it! It taught you the meaning of life.

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments The Bone People by Keri Hulme, I'm currently bored out of my mind, and it's a VERY long book.

Though, to any who are interested, I recommened the Morganville Vampires series!

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 25 comments Anybody reading Mockingjayyet?

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments Dana wrote: "Anybody reading Mockingjayyet?"

Nooo!!!! I pre-oredered it, but it doesn't come out untill the 31st here!! So annoyed!

message 18: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 4 comments Tara wrote: "Dana wrote: "Anybody reading Mockingjayyet?"

Nooo!!!! I pre-oredered it, but it doesn't come out untill the 31st here!! So annoyed!"

Tara, at least you know when it will be out:-) I have no idea when it's going to reach my shores and I'm trying to be patient. Trying and failing.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and I bought the trilogy on Tuesday. He just finished the set. Now it's my turn!

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

By the way, I am reading these books while waiting to borrow the featured book here for the month from the library. I am 5th on a waiting list for Shiver and 17th for Linger. This is after already waiting two weeks!

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Aww that's annoying when that happens.

message 22: by Miss Page Turner (new)

Miss Page Turner (misspage-turner) | 1 comments Hey there I've read "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare a few days ago and LOVED it! With the Mortal Instruments series a a big brother, this new book had to proof it's quality first.

Summary by Simon&Schuster:

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Here is an extract from the review I posted on my blog:

5/5 ***** Put on your gloves, grab your parasol and head straight to your next bookstore!19th century London has never been so dark and sexy before.This is a must read!

~ We love this book because... ~
1) of its strong female heroine and her love for books
2) it makes one of your three obligatory wishes be: Turning all 21st century men into 19th century gentlemen
3) even people not technically gifted will enjoy the magic clockwork can produce
4) Cassandra Clare shows, once again, her talent to employ outrageously exciting plot turns and twists
5) after reading it, you will be careful about boring-dusty-attic-comments

Hope you'll try it out;)

message 23: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 27 comments Has anyone read The Painted Boy by Charles de Lint? I'm thinking of getting it, but I don't know if it's any good.

message 24: by Belle (new)

Belle (izzy_theberge) Sorry, I haven't heard of it.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Durham | 3 comments I just finished City of Bones! Loved it!