Between the Wars discussion

Group Reads > April/ May Group Read

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
Nominations are now open!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just started Monica Dickens' Mariana, so I think I might just nom The Priory. You'd nnever have guessed it, would you? :D

message 3: by Gabriele (new)

Yeah, Lauren! I'm with you there.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Hurray! Are we finally going to get to read The Priory?

message 5: by Gabriele (new)

Shall I be a dictator and just say we will? : ) There are 3 of us who want to so far!

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) It's up to you Gabriele. :-)
We could give the others a chance to weigh in.

message 7: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments I don't mind reading it without a vote -- if I can locate a copy of it.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula I second that, Sarah.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Lauren wrote: "I have just started Monica Dickens' Mariana, so I think I might just nom The Priory. You'd nnever have guessed it, would you? :D"

I add my vote.

message 10: by Gabriele (new)

Woohoo! I'll wait for a few more endorsements before declaring the "winner".

message 11: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments You're a good moderator Gabriele.

message 12: by Gabriele (new)

Awww, thanks, Sarah! : )

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (fig_and_thistle_books) The Priory sounds great!

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula Oh no, having problems finding it in the US already. Has anyone found it and can recommend the site so I can purchase it? It's not on Kindle, not at the library, out of stock on Amazon US, and I can't find any other US sites that have it in stock for less than $20. Is it really that good? Or is it really that short on copies?

message 15: by Gabriele (last edited Mar 09, 2010 05:41AM) (new)

Paula, I ordered mine from Persephone in England. Very reasonable cost and the book(s) arrived in Canada in less than a week, even though I paid for the cheapest surface mail shipping. (Of course, I couldn't order just one!)

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) I found this in my inbox and if anyone is interested in ordering from Persephone books they have a special on this week in honour of mother's day. I will paste the content of the email below.

Dear Persephone Reader,

It is Mothering Sunday this weekend.

If you order two Persephone Classics by midnight on Wednesday, we will send you a third Classic of your choice free of charge. Please note that the offer does not apply to the grey books.

When ordering online you should only pay for two books, and then write in the Additional Information box: Mothering Sunday Offer and the title of the third Classic you would like. In the same box please let us know whether the books are going to you or whether they should be sent directly to your mother with a card, and if so what the card should say.

(Apologies to readers in North America, where Mothering Sunday is in May: however this does not stop you from taking advantage of our special offer well in advance!)

Best wishes,

from all at Persephone Books

message 17: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments Oooo! Thank you, Lee :-) That is SO tempting!

So, does anyone want so weigh in on their favorite Persephone publications??? I have "Miss Pettigrew" but that's it. Sounds like this is the perfect time to build my collection.

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) I just checked and there are 10 Persephone Classics. The Priory is not one of them but there are a few other gems on that list. Here is a link to the books included in the special 3 for 2 price if you order before tomorrow night:

http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/page...

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Kathryn wrote: "Oooo! Thank you, Lee :-) That is SO tempting!

So, does anyone want so weigh in on their favorite Persephone publications??? I have "Miss Pettigrew" but that's it. Sounds like this is the perfe..."

Yes, it is very tempting isn't it Kathryn! I'm dying for an excuse to order a few.

message 20: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:59AM) (new)

Kathryn | 14 comments By the way, I don't want to make this thread too off topic with the nominations so I'll move my Persephone books question to another thread ;-)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 21: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments Paula wrote: "Oh no, having problems finding it in the US already. Has anyone found it and can recommend the site so I can purchase it? It's not on Kindle, not at the library, out of stock on Amazon US, and I ca..."

Honestly Paula, I have a problem forking out for Persephones too because I am a noted used books buyer! ha ha I only occasionally find them cheap and often resort to ordering straight from the source. Of course the Classics set are cheaper, but I have already read most of them.

message 22: by Gabriele (last edited Mar 11, 2010 06:04AM) (new)

And the winner is.... The Priory by Dorothy Whipple by Dorothy Whipple !

message 23: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Hi Everybody sorry not been about,it was The Film Festival so I tend to disappear...
I will join in if I can get hold of a copy....
It seems to be a difficult one to get??

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (fig_and_thistle_books) I am going to try using my library's interlibrary loan service to obtain a copy.

message 25: by Gabriele (new)

Welcome back, DJ! It's available from Persephone Books.

message 26: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Thanks Gabriele,I am hoping to go book hunting on Saturday so keep everything crossed for me!!!
It`s good to be back...
Will let you know how I get on tracking it down!!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Hurrah&hurray! Glad it was pretty much unanimous. I really recommend Mariana by Monica Dickens , another Persephone book, which I'm reading atm.

message 28: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Mmmm I may need to wait to get it as it is a bit pricey for me post Christmas been searching all the online sites....Will try to pick up a secondhand copy.I was very bad in December and need to reign myself in a bit....

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Gabriele, my copy arrived today and I may start reading early because of the group read glut at the beginning of the month. Are we commenting on this thread or will you start a new one?

message 30: by Gabriele (new)

Yay, Lee! I'll start a new thread.

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Okay great, thanks!