SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Looking for a book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Here you can post if you are looking for a book. Someone will know where to get it cheap, or you know, help you out.

If anyone can help, send the person looking for the book a message :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 30, 2011 04:25AM) (new)

OK so I've got some I'm looking for:

Memoirs of a Geisha
Virgin Suicides
Any James Patterson Books
Chronicles of Narnia, (collection)/s>
Percy Jackson (Collection)
Lemony Snicket (Collection)
Moerbeibos
Toorbos
Kringe in 'n bos
(the 4th bos book)

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Memoirs of a Geisha

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Sent you the info Niecole for narnia and percy jackson and James patterson books.

Enjoy

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Also The Virgin suicides

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah thanks, your a sweetie!!!!!
You both are!!!!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith This is a very long shot, since I think these books are out of print, but does anyone have anything by Jane Bowles?

She wrote very little, but apparently it's incredible writing, and I'd very much like to read it. There are just 3 books, I think:
Two Serious Ladies
Plain Pleasures (short stories)
My Sister's Hand in Mine: The Collected Works of Jane Bowles

I don't expect you to give me the books, but if I could just borrow them for a short time I'd be very grateful. If you're on Bookmooch we can do the transaction through the site, and I'll smooch you some extra points as well :)

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Sorry nothing at my usual spots :(

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I am trying Lauren and hopefully something will turn up. I will let you know.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks so much for checking guys!

Perhaps we should all keep a list of things to look out for at second-hand bookshops and library sales... I know there were some authors you wanted Emma, but I know I'll never remember the names when I'm browsing.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments There is another site that I use for books where you can look for books and all you do is have a topic with your name and the books you are looking for. When you find them you strike them out. So you could do something like that on here? I have managed to find alot of books doing it that way, and people are very happy to help you out :-) There are some books that are more difficult, but you would be surprised at what you find.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry Lauren nope...

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 12: Thanks for checking Niecole :)

11: Sounds good Emma, what's the site?
For the list though I meant something to carry around - just a card or some notepaper to keep in your bag or wallet so you know what to look out for if you're in a second-hand bookstore. I often look for small, popular books to give away on Bookmooch, so I might as well keep an eye out for books you guys want too :)

By the way Niecole, if you're willing to join Bookmooch, there are LOADS of James Patterson books, as well as over 100 copies of Memoirs of a Geisha available. You'll probably be able to get most of the Patterson books, if not all of them.
Of course, you'll have to give away a few books first, but it gives you a good feeling to know your books are going to a good home :)
Let me know if you want to join, I'll give you some tips.

message 14: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
I haven't been able to find any 2nd hand copies of these in SA so far, but if anyone spots any of these I'd much appreciate it:

Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System
Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Volume 2, Rev. Edition
Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Volume 3, Rev. Edition

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Will keep a eye out Crusader :)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments Hi guys. Anyone know of any good sites for downloading ebooks?

message 17: by Lu (new)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Does anyone have any books from the following Penguin collections:
Penguin Great Loves
Penguin Great Ideas
Pocket Penguins

I have a few of each, but I'd like to build up my collection. Consequently, e-books will not suffice in this case. If there are any you are willing to give me, I will trade them for Bookmooch books. You can either take a book from my inventory which you can find here: http://bookmooch.com/m/inventory/laur... (sorry, it's very small at the moment!) or let me know what books you want, and if it's available on the site I will mooch it and have it sent to you. The same applies for any books by Jane Bowles, although in that case I will get you 3 books in exchange for one of hers.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Does anyone have any books by Tariq Ali? I'm looking specifically for his historical novels, known as the Islam Quintet, starting with Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree.

Any other books by the author would be great too though. I'll swap one of my books for one of his, or send you a book via bookmooch.

message 20: by Emma (last edited Jun 23, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I can have a look around for you Lauren, but it will only be the e-book. :-)

There are some of his books, but in Spanish, will keep checking and put out some feelers.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks Emma! I don't mind an e-book, I just want to try all the free options before I resign myself to ordering a copy from Exclusives.

message 22: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Sorry no luck my side either :(

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks for checking though :)

message 24: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
No problem! Hope you find it :)

message 25: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Hi everyone! I am looking for the new Alyson Noel book, Dark Flame, out on 22 June 2010. Trying my luck before ordering from Amazon. Thanks!

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Ill send it to you Sonette.

message 27: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Thanks Emma! I have been looking all over and could not find it! You're such a star!

message 28: by Crusader (new)

If anyone comes across the hardcover version of Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan it would be great if they can let me know.

Pale Blue Dot A Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan

Only the paperback version is currently in print and it doesn't have the illustrations which gave the book another dimension.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I just wondered if anyone has SPUD Learning to Fly by John Van De Ruit in ebook format. It is quite difficult to find South African books online so I wondered if anyone here had it and if so could they send it to me?

It is actually for my husband who enjoyed the first 2. On that point, can I pick your brains on books that men would like.My husband enjoyed Dan Browns books, and recently he read The Camel Club By David Baldacci, I think he likes the suspense books, but he does get easily bored with a book if it doesnt grab him straight away.

Do you have any suggestions on books he might like? Thanks so much :-)

message 30: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Emma wrote: "I just wondered if anyone has SPUD Learning to Fly by John Van De Ruit in ebook format. It is quite difficult to find South African books online so I wondered if anyone here had it and if so could ..."

Hi Emma,

I have also been looking for those books in Ebook format so cannot help you there unfortunately. I really loved the Alex Delaware books by Jonathan Kellerman and my boyfriend enjoyed them too. Maybe he can give them a try. Or the Lincoln Rhyme books by Jeffrey Deaver.

message 31: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Btw does anyone have the book Summer by Eden Maguire on Ebook perhaps?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Emma, for your husband I suggest Dennis Lehane. I'm not sure what his latest stuff is like, but the Kenzie/Gennaro books are very exciting. The series starts with A Drink Before the War, but the later ones are better, and my favourites are Gone, Baby, Gone (a bit of a waste if you've seen the movie though) and Prayers for Rain. These are more generic crime thrillers than Lehane's slower, more sophisticated ones like Shutter Island and Mystic River, but still top quality reads.

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Thanks Lauren I will check out the Dennis Lehane books ou have suggested and let him give them a try.

Lauren, do ou have to read them in series? As you mentioned that the later ones are better, could you start with the later ones, or not?

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith LOL, I actually started with Prayers for Rain, which is the last one, and worked my way backwards, because that just happened to be the order I found them in :)

Each book is stand alone, but they do sometimes briefly mention the main villains from the previous books in the series. Luckily, I read them far enough apart to have completely forgotten who the bad guys were. If you're going to read them close together, I suggest reading them in order, or at least reading early ones first.

message 35: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Sorry Emma - No luck in finding any of the Spuds!

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Thanks for trying anyway. :-)

message 37: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments There's an Afrikaans book I've been looking for without any luck - 'Bloed' by Herman Venter. Please, please pm me if any of you see it. =)

message 38: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Will do :)

message 39: by Crusader (new)

I'm looking for The Last Augury by Jonathan Wylie. Can't seem to find it at any online shops, so please keep a lookout for it in 2nd shops please.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I have looked high and low for this book without success. If anyone has the ebook version or know where I can get it can you please send me the link.

The Boys from Brazil

I remember watching the movie years ago and it was frightening, would love to read the book.

Thankyou :-)

message 41: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Anyone have Wheel of Time 13?

message 42: by Crusader (new)

That would be Towers of Midnight.

I'm waiting for the paperbacks to become available. Seems that'll be in October.

message 43: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
ebook maybe?

message 44: by Crusader (new)

Sorry, no ebook version either.

message 45: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
No problem :) Thanks!
If anyone finds it please let me know

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You should have asked earlier - I saw a copy at the EB sale.

message 47: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I have a retail epub if you want?

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I also have epub format? will send it

message 49: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Got it thanks guys :) Was for Mark

message 50: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Emma wrote: "I have looked high and low for this book without success. If anyone has the ebook version or know where I can get it can you please send me the link.

The Boys from Brazil

I remember..."

Did you find it?

« previous 1 3