Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > APRIL ~ The Sweet Scent of Blood - March/April

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers, #1) by Suzanne McLeod The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod

Here is where we can talk about our first group read book. Reading mid March to end of April (longish time span to get us eased in!!)

message 2: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Apr 02, 2010 02:05AM) (new)

This is our first group read which starts today!

There is quite a while to read it, it will be our group read through to end of April (unless things change!) Edit - which you'll see from the group read folder they indead did!!

I have just started the book and it seems okay so far. It is set in London at the moment - didn't recall that from when I put it up here but it's in the blurb! It is the first paranormal book I've read which did not have a setting somewhere in the US.

Anyone else reading or read the book?

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I'm reading it too. I've read the first chapter and it seems pretty interesting. You're right that it seems like most of the paranormal books are set in the US.

I'm interested in seeing who she owes that favor to and why she owes it. I wonder she'll end up liking a vampire or two despite herself or if she'll get confirmation that she's better off having nothing to do with any of them. It will be interesting to see.

message 4: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

I'm only a chapter in too, more planned this evening! I think it seems to be starting to set up an interesting story, I found myself wanting to know more about Genny's history, how she got where she is and how she feels about vampires. Wondering at the moment exaclty where the story will go, but she is bound to end up working with at least some vampires I'm sure.

The favour she owes should get the story going in an interesting direction, ie one she is not entierly comfortable with!!

message 5: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Ginny having 3V is going to make things interesting I think!

message 6: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Apr 02, 2010 02:06AM) (new)

Just over half way through now. I am surprised about some of Ginny's background, one of her parents was a surprise. I am really liking this book now but can not even guess the whodoneit of where the story is heading. But we've got murder, hot vampires, fae, potential love interest and lots of secrets - so it should be good :)

message 7: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Ginny is getting confusing now!

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Sorry, I got busy at work and didn't have a lot of time to read. I'm catching up now.

I'm kind of confused by her having 3V. I thought she said there was a cure for it earlier in the book. Why doesn't she just get herself cured?

Finn seems interesting. I have a much better opinion of him now that I know he's not making the rounds through the witches.

Malik also seems interesting. He's the only vampire we've been introduced to so far that seems to have some depth. I wonder why he was so sad around her.

I've just made it to the part where she is in the bathroom in Sucker Town. I'm curious to see what's going on with her. How is she normal fae most of the time and a vampire when she activates the spell?

I'm looking forward to finding out.

message 9: by Catherine (last edited Apr 09, 2010 12:15AM) (new)

Catherine I'm confused about the connection between Rosa and Genny. I'm enjoying the story, but I find it confusing at the same time. I feel like I'm missing something.

message 10: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Apr 09, 2010 10:56AM) (new)

I was wondering, does Ginny have 3V because of who her father was? I'm not sure on that, or is it something that happended to her when she was young. I don't feel that has been explained yet (or I missed it).

I'm futher on in the book after she's been attacked.

Only got 45 pages left so I think I'll be getting my answers soon!!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I just finished the book. I was really disappointed that the ending didn't answer the questions I had earlier.

I really liked the world set up that the author had going. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the execution of it. I'm interested in knowing more about the characters, but I'm afraid the next book will be just like this.

The pacing was odd. Events seemed disjointed and everything just felt a bit off. I was also really bothered by the change in tense in the pov at the end.

It was just little things that bothered me that added up into an interesting yet very frustrating read.

message 12: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Finished too. I felt the ending did not sort enough out and was clearly leaving it open for a sequel. But the story was interesting and for the most part held my interest.

I agree that the author has set up an interesting world which I would like to know more about so I will probably read the next books eventually. I like the characters but sometimes something about the writing could have been better - having said that it would not be the first series to start off a little slow and turn out to be excellent!!

I wanted a bit more of Ginny interacting with the rest of her world and more explaination of the vampire world in the book. Seemed to me the book would have been better with this in even if it made it longer, but then I like details in a book.

Overall I liked it even if it did a few have faults.

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I agree that the ending didn't answer enough questions for me. I think I'll probably read the next book. Hopefully more of my questions are answered.

I'm also interested in knowing more about Malik. Hopefully this series doesn't turn into a love triangle. I hate when that happens. I was interested in Finn, but I liked him less and less as the book went on.

I, too, wish that the book had been longer. Even though I found it frustrating I still enjoyed it.

message 14: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I bought the book today in a sale and have managed not to look at the messages above! Hope to get to this one maybe next week then will post my thoughts.

message 15: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Halfway through it now and it's ok, but just not grabbing me like some other books did. I will finish it but won't bother with the rest of the series.

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sweet Scent of Blood (other topics)