The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Choosing Your Next Book: The Lucky Dip

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (last edited Mar 06, 2010 06:25PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/books...

I have always been too scared to do this but next time I'm in the library I might just close my eyes one day and point.

Do you think you are predictable or adventurous and who is up for a lucky dip?

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon ive done it for a challenge or two at the library, it was quite fun!

message 3: by Ralph (new)

Ralph (sunwriter) | 64 comments Sounds interesting. I might try it next time I'm at the library. I don't think I'd do it in a book store since I don't have tons of extra cash and I don't wanna risk buying a book I'll hate. I may try it there and then instead of buying that book, get it at the library. Or try it in a used bookstore

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (ListObsessed) | 317 comments Ooh I've considered creating a lucky dip for the mountain of books I've bought and have not gotten around to reading yet. Sometimes I've got so many things that I want to read I procrastinate about what to pick up next! Lucky dip would take that away... That or eeny meeny miny mo! hahah! I'm good and focused at the moment with Diane's Around the World in 80 Books challenge, but when thats over perhaps.....

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz I always take a piece of paper and pencil to the library or bookstore in case I see something which looks good or I can't afford. I occasionally buy something I've never heard of, but that rarely happens because my TBR is so long.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I very rarely these days buy a book or choose to read a book that I haven't heard of here at GR - or that I haven't 'researched' back on GR if I've seen one that seemed interesting.

SO I really need to just go and point one day and choose a book that way.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 502 comments Most of the time I'm very careful when making book selections. Like Fiona, a majority of the books I read I find out about on here. I have found and purchased books I knew nothing about beforehand but that still involved reading all the information contained on the inside covers or the back of the book. And of course the first thing I did when I got home with the books was look them up on here to see who read them and what they had to say.

The only time I did a totally "blind pick" was for the first challenge in the group Wild Things. It was kind of nice to do it and maybe I'll do it the next time I go to the library. Like Ralph, I don't want to take the chance on spending money on a book I may end up not liking. I'm the type of person who will only spend money on a sure thing.

message 8: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 49 comments Lucky dip is the perfect solution for my personnal Library.IT takes me so much time to choose a book.In 15 minutes I can change my idea 10 times.But I'm not sure if it would work for me.I have to follow my seasonnal feeling.IF I have nothing--- I feel to read in My personnal library.My second stop is the library and if I cannot find what I want I go simply splurge at the bookstore.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Cook (rytr_1) | 211 comments I try to read a variety of different authors which I've never read before. I don't know that I've made completely blind choices, but every visit to the library is still an adventure because I never know what's going to grab my attention.

Then again, there are some categories I've barely explored, such as Westerns, mysteries, and several types of nonfiction books.

The article seems to make the point that people shopping for books online are more likely to make predictable, safe choices. To me that isn't the case, especially with great sites like Goodreads to make me aware of a wealth of potentially great books that I never would have known existed.

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymeb) I definitely don't want to lucky dip. I gotta pick up the book and get a good feel for it. But I don't think I have the problem some of you do with having to research or have recommended the books you read. I make lists when I go to the bookstore of the stuff I want to buy, but then somehow come home without a single one that was on that list. My boyfriend makes fun, asking why I even bother. The truth is I get distracted by shining things, pretty pictures, or I judge books by their cover!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahSaysRead) The lucky dip would be interesting in the library, but I'm more likely to try it at home on my own shelves. I own hundreds of books that looked interesting to me at one time or another and then never got around to reading.

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 107 comments Hi,
There is a furious row going on on a different thread at the moment, it seems as though the best way to choose you next book is to 'pirate' a copy of an e-book, then if you like it, think about paying for it! It is too much trouble to check out reviews on here or elsewhere on the web, or to find the free sample chapters often posted on sites like Authors on Line.
I thought this was theft, illegally copying someones copyrighted work, the important bit being copying as opposed to lending as existing copy.
It seems as though I am wrong in this assumption, as are all the others who chipped in, except the one who started it! It is, apparently quite alright to ignore the law, to make sure you get a book you might be prepared to pay for.
I just thought you might like to know.
As an author myself I have been spitting feathers over this, it is very refreshing to find a thread like this. I will make a point on here which was ignored by 'read first pay later, maybe'. If you are checking out a book, what would help you a] find it, and b] make up you mind.
Reviews? Do samples need to be random sections from within the book, or a bit more than just the first chapter.Do we, as authors need to do anything with the synopsis? if so what? Basically I am trying to find out why you buy book 'A' rather than book 'B' and then to ensure you really have picked a book you like. With any luck if you see another book by the same author you will then be more likely to at least have a look.
Pardon the sarcasm in the first bit, but it really wound me, and a lot of others up.
All the best, Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 502 comments Paul, I think what you just described is very wrong! Personally I buy most of my books based on the synopsis written on the back or the inside cover. In the case of an e-book, I guess it would be nice to see small samples of randomly selected passages would be helpful.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) A couple of comments - Like Jon, I have done the dip for a couple of challenges, both at the library and with my own "Mt bedside" as one of my friends calls it. It is especially fun at the library because it is a real maybe there. (I presuming since I have it on mt. bedside, I thought I would like it)

Paul - I actually had quite a deal with pirating with my son and his best friend. His best friend was pirating videos, and we really had to discuss how unfair that is to the actors, etc., or in the case of books to the author. I would say if you want to check it out before you buy it, get a copy from the library. I actually did that recently with a book.

As to what gets me to choose a book, sometimes it is the synopsis on the book jacket, if it sounds like something else I have read and liked, or something that is interesting story wise, I will give it a try. Since joining Goodreads, a lot goes by what friends whose taste I trust say about books they have read, also. The last thing is the genre, I tend to like certain genres over others. BUT you are totally correct, if I read a book and like it, I will usually seek out other books by that author.

message 15: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (Eliza_Morgan) | 151 comments I love the idea of "the book I was never meant to read." Maybe I will try it out at my library's book sale. I often just skim titles until I see something familiar (aka- something I've heard about on GR!). Maybe something completely out of my comfort zone will be exciting. Or, maybe it will suck. LOL- I'm gonna do it!

message 16: by Erika (new)

Erika | 325 comments Hmmm...I haven't gone so far as to just close my eyes and point, but I do love it when every once in while I pick up a book I know absolutely nothing about. Then, I don't even read the summary on the back or go and look it up online. I just start reading. I think I like to do this because when I'm in rut I tend to be more choosey. If I have no expectations (not even plot-wise) then I can finally relax and just enjoy the writing for what it is.

I've found some awesome books this way like
The Cure for Death by Lightning (became one of my favourite Can Lit authors after this), Hey Nostradamus! (planning on reading more of his books now too), Girl with a Pearl Earring (I've read a bunch more of her books too), The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Republic of Love. Most of these ended up being 4 or 5 star reads. The only one I didn't enjoy as much was Republic of Love but I still thought it was pretty awesome to unexpectedly read a book set in Winnipeg (I was born there, lived there, so I knew some of the places).

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) My parents did that on a map to pick where to live, it just had to be in the SE United States. They lived there for 35 years, I lived there for five before I escaped.

So I'm not sure about doing that with books, enough time wasted and all that.

message 18: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments I randomly take the plunge be it in a bookstore, e-book or library (sometimes Dad's book shelf). And I haven't met a book I didn't like by this method. Well I *HAVE* permitted myself one exception - if I pull it off a shelf and discover by the dust jacket that it's the stereotypical chick lit drival (not compared to the more meaningful chick lit), I put it back on the shelf.

For the library, I ended up with Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by this method! I walked the shelves, closed my eyes and ran my finger along until I said stopped. Pulled a book, peered at cover and went that's gorgeous! Time to read! And I'm glad I did.

Another trick is to take a random list and close your eyes to select a book off that!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Girl with a Pearl Earring (other topics)
Hey Nostradamus! (other topics)
The Cure For Death By Lightning (other topics)
The Republic of Love (other topics)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)
More...