Study Buddies discussion

Monthly Book Group > Swan Thieves

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly RAley (kraley) I was looking for the discussion on Swan Thieves and realize maybe I'm the only one to have finished it. I really liked the storyline. I thought it was slower paced than a Dan Brown book, but I found the meanderings enjoyable. The author is very good at describing non-existant works of art and made me crave being able to see the pictures in real life (althought they don't exist). I liked the layered quality to the novel and looked forward to each new letter that Marlow received. Some of the story was predictable, but I still enjoyed the ride. Anyone have any thoughts or questions about The Swan Thieves?

message 2: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
Sorry, I just started the audio book--nothing much to say yet :( Thanks for starting the thread, though!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly RAley (kraley) I also listened to it I liked the different actors used. The only annoying thing was that Marlow pronounced his friend's name as Zoe instead of Zoey as I think was intended. I look forward to the discussion. I listening to The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo right now.

message 4: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
I somehow was riveted with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but hated it at the same time. I think I will wait to get the 2nd one from the library. With school right now, I can't handle Swan Thieves either! I have the audiobook, and have had to restart it twice already. My mind keeps wandering :( cramming for Chemistry & listening to a narrative do not mix!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly RAley (kraley) I am going to start the new dragon tatoo soon. I think I might have been the only one to read Swan Thieves. I think it is worth the time, but definitely when you have time for leisure. I wouldn't call it a quick read. I just finished Everlost which was very good. I am reading Need right now.

message 6: by Min (new)

Min (minbuchanan) | 159 comments I read The Swan Theives when it first came out in January. I didn't listen to the audio book though. I saw that Anne Heche was one of the characters, and well, I can't stand her. So I passed.

Anyway, I really liked the book. I love Kostova's writing. The book got a lot of bad reviews in NYT and elsewhere. But I thought it was a excellent, well researched read. Here's my review of it:

I honestly can't see why people would really complain about this book. True, in many ways, it is very unlike The Historian. However, I find that rather refreshing. How boring is it (at least for me) to have an author continue to churn out the exact same storyline over and over and over again (ahem, Dan Brown, Patricia Cornwell)? I admire that Kostova takes years between novels, carefully and artfully researching her subject matter.

She must have delved so deep into the world of art, she either began painting herself or is incredibly intuitive. She writes with a bright understanding of the world of art and history. To me, her research is one of the things that give her fiction such a fantastic tone.

I don't want to give anything away, since this book is as much a mystery as it is a story of love, betrayal, art, mental illness, and the lengths at which we will go to understand them all. It's a slow boiling read that traps your imagination and leaves you wishing for more. Though I would say not so much that you'd want more to the character's stories (the ending was well paced), just more of Kostova's writing in general.

If you're looking for a replica of The Historian, you'll not find it here. However, if you're looking to be plainly set in a wonderful, if not mundane world, where character development outweighs fast moving plot lines, look no further. It's certainly worth the time.