Clean Romances discussion

Book Chats > Juliet Marillier

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments Ok so I just finished Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier and it actually had some good romance that was clean. However I worry about her romance cause it kind of borders on clean/not clean and this book was clean and the one other book I have read, Wildwood Dancing, was clean. I was wondering if any of you have read any other series/books by her and if she stays clean or if she does go into not clean; because I do really enjoy her writing style but I am REALLY tired of coming across crappy and descriptive romance scenes in books.

message 2: by Pickles (last edited Mar 07, 2010 09:26AM) (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) I'd say that Foxmask, the sequel to Wolfskin, is clean. The subject of sex comes up and it does happen, but it's not descriptive. I think it's similar to how it was in Wolfskin. I'm not sure about the Wildwood or Bridei books, since I haven't read them yet, but I wouldn't consider her "Sevenwaters" books clean. There are sex scenes and even a rape scene in those, so I'd steer clear of them. For her newest one, Heart's Blood, I know there was some kissing and the characters did have sex, but I don't remember it being graphic or anything. But if you're looking for something where sex doesn't come up at all, you might want to skip that one, too.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments I'm actually kind of surprised to read this, because in my opinion, Wolfskin was not clean. There were 2 pretty detailed sex scenes, both of which (of course) happen outside the realm of marriage...and sexual dialogue spaced throughout the novel.

IF YOU WANT A "CLEAN" (like as in *no sex at all*) grown-up Juliet Marillier book, I'd recommend The Dark Mirror. Here's a concept: the main character (a dude) is a sworn virgin! That made me smile :P

message 4: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "I'm actually kind of surprised to read this, because in my opinion, Wolfskin was not clean. There were 2 pretty detailed sex scenes, both of which (of course) happen outside the realm ..."

The hero is a virgin?

I like reading about virgin heroes.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Lol me too!! They're sexy :))
but you don't see that many of them, or at lease I don't. I'd love any suggestions!!!

message 6: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "Lol me too!! They're sexy :))
but you don't see that many of them, or at lease I don't. I'd love any suggestions!!!"

If any virgin hero books that are clean book are recommended to me, I will pass it on to you.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments Thank you guys so much, I just don't enjoy descriptive sex scenes and I worried her novels could become descriptive! Definitely will look into the dark mirror!

message 8: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 84 comments Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "Lol me too!! They're sexy :))
but you don't see that many of them, or at lease I don't. I'd love any suggestions!!!"

Marcia Lynn McClure's books. The virtue of the males and females are in tact.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments I LOVE Marcia Lynn McClure books I have read a couple of them but the stinky thing is you have to buy them in order to read them and I don't have money for books right now!

message 10: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 84 comments Have you checked you library? Ours carries all of her books except the e-books. Maybe you could request your library to order some. Good luck! I Love them too!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments Unfortunately none of the libraries in Las Vegas, NV carry any of her novels. I have requested that they carry some but whether or not they will order them is a different story :).

message 12: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 592 comments Mod
Have you tried asking your library to order them via interlibrary loan? It wouldn't add the books to their permanent collection, but you'd get a chance to read them. Maybe your library could borrow them from Teryn's library. ;-)

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "I'm actually kind of surprised to read this, because in my opinion, Wolfskin was not clean. There were 2 pretty detailed sex scenes, both of which (of course) happen outside the realm ..."

I almost ordered Wolfskin, thanks for the info. You said that The Dark Mirror was clean do you know if the 2nd book Blade of Fortriu and the 3rd book The Well of Shades are they clean as well?

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Hey! Sorry I just now saw the post.
BOF and WOS are clean-ish. Meaning the main couple from THE DARK MIRROR is now married, and they have 2 kids... I think in BOF it references sex a little bit, in a matrimonial context. There's another predominant couple in BOF that may have had a love scene, but I don't remember. I kind of skimmed that book, to be honest, because my favorite characters from the first book kind of became supporting characters :S In WOS, I remember there's a "flashback scene" involving how a character was conceived, and it's weird, but not graphic.
Hope that helps!

message 15: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 2 comments The Well of Shades might not have descriptive sex scenes, but there is a lot of sex reference and tension, of all Marillier books I thought that one had more "sex" in it.
One of the main characters has been sexually abused and is trying to get over it, Sorry I’m trying not give out spoilers??!!

Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret are clean, they're targeted for YA.

I don't see her books as very descriptive though.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Yeah. I didn't really pay attention to the non-Bridei scenes, cause he was my favorite character and WOS was kind of more about Faolan, so your last comment's likely way more helpful :D

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Thanks everyone, that helps alot!

message 18: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 2 comments Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "Yeah. I didn't really pay attention to the non-Bridei scenes, cause he was my favorite character and WOS was kind of more about Faolan, so your last comment's likely way more helpful :D"

You know Faolan was my favorite character in this trilogy, even in the Dark Mirror, more than Bridei.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilymorland) I've read a few of her books, but the only ones I would say are clean would be Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret, as Jewel mentioned. I really enjoyed them.

message 20: by Carly (new)

Carly (wildlavender) I love her books. Even though the Sevenwaters one do have some sex scenes even a rape, there still really good. In my opinion. I really liked her YA books. Though in Cybele's Secret I was a little disaponted who Paula choosed. I love the art cover! :D

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Jewel wrote: "Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "Yeah. I didn't really pay attention to the non-Bridei scenes, cause he was my favorite character and WOS was kind of more about Faolan, so your last comment's ..."

Haha I'm glad Faolan got some love! I just liked Bridei better. There seem to be lots of Faolan type characters in other books, but Bridei was kind of one in a million :)