Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
ive had Eragon sitting on my shelf since i was 9, and being 14 now, im still yet to read it...

message 2: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
lol

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana I guess that makes three of us. I haven't read eragon yet either.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments I read all of them
Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr

The movie was horrendous.

message 5: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I didn't really like the book too much either. If you want to know why, see review. :)

message 6: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments i've read all 3,and am waiting for the 4th.The movie royally sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 7: by Pandy (last edited Mar 06, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

Pandy | 185 comments Hope wrote: "I didn't really like the book too much either. If you want to know why, see review. :)"

I agree with your review. I've read the three books that are out so far, and in my opinion they get progressively worse. Eragon isn't all that original, but I did find it a little enjoyable. Even Eldest is alright, but Brisingr drags horribly and has a lot of "fluff" in it. I haven't seen the movie, and since everyone I know hates it, I don't see why I should.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 592 comments I liked the first one, and I liked the end of the second one (mainly because of the end). I haven't read the third yet, but I plan to, even though I'm not in an real hurry to do so.

message 9: by Summer (last edited Mar 06, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Summer | 6 comments I read the books and the saw the movie. The movie really sucked and the books.... erm.... kind of went a long with it, just my opinion. If you give a kid a computer, parents that own a publishing company, and motivation, you have Christopher Paolini. I mean, that's all good and well but that doesn't nessisarily make good books. Knolfs adopting the book just made it more popular. I congragulate him for the hard work he's put in to get where he is, but after that, I'm not so happy with what he's written. Brisngr was just to make money or show off more of his horable pacing.

message 10: by Summer (new)

Summer | 6 comments I don't really think he really gave himself permission to not get published and just work at writing and once he had contracts and such, he probably never really had a fighting chance.

message 11: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Summer wrote: If you give a kid a computer, parents that own a publishing company, and motivation, you have Christopher Paolini."

Pretty much, yes. Everyone is amazed with the fact that he wrote it as a teen. To me, that's the thing that stands out. And not in a good way. The books are gruesome at parts...

message 12: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Pandy wrote: "Hope wrote: "I didn't really like the book too much either. If you want to know why, see review. :)"

I agree with your review. I've read the three books that are out so far, and in my opinion t..."

I'm going to try and fight my way through Eldest. Do you think I should even bother with Brisingr??

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Hrrmmm. Maybe. But there are some pretty "EWWWW-high-school-guy-ish" parts...

message 14: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Okay, this is tricky. But if you click on (some html is ok) in the top corner, it'll tell you. And I can help, too...

message 15: by Summer (new)

Summer | 6 comments Yeah, exactly. I mean, not everything should be geared towards femeinity, I mean there's a ton of books guys would never weird but it just seemed imature.

message 16: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) im reading eragon right now

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) I thought all three were very good books, but the movies absolutely sucked.

message 18: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing I think that the books were awesome, and i cannot wait for the fourth one. anyone know some good info about the 4th book?

message 19: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Immature was a good word for the books. But Eragon was the first book that my eleven-year-old brother, who runs from books (well, not runs, but you know what I mean), read all the way through, using every second of spare time...

message 20: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Dovewing wrote: "I think that the books were awesome, and i cannot wait for the fourth one. anyone know some good info about the 4th book?"

I heard some where that there are going to be chapters from Murtagh's point of view. Wouldn't that be cool? I hope its true! Also, the release date isn't confirmed nor is the cover art. I can't wait for book 4!!!!

message 21: by Jordan (last edited Mar 08, 2010 09:36PM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Jillian wrote: "Don't get me started on how it just seems to be a copycat of Lord of the Rings and Dragonriders of Pern . . ."

You made some really good points, and I definitely agree with you. My dad had me read the Dragonriders of Pern, and the similarities are obvious...

Oh, and Star Wars. Not saying that Star Wars is the epitome of originality, but Eragon is eerily similar.

message 22: by Summer (new)

Summer | 6 comments Kendall ♥ AKA ♥ CiCi ♥ Dance Lover! wrote: "Dovewing wrote: "I think that the books were awesome, and i cannot wait for the fourth one. anyone know some good info about the 4th book?"

I heard some where that there are going to be chapters f..."

Murtagh is the only character I really like. I was so ticked off when he turned evil because we suddenly lost all that complexity in the book and we didn't see him at all. He has depth.

message 23: by Summer (new)

Summer | 6 comments He's gonna die :( I know it. It'll be like the Percy Jackson series. If you've read them you know what I'm talking about.

message 24: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Hey! I haven't read all of the PJ books. NO SPOILING!!!!!

Or, using the Star Wars parallel again...Anakin...

message 25: by Summer (last edited Mar 08, 2010 10:44PM) (new)

Summer | 6 comments I haben't seen Starwars howerever I know there were thirteen-oops!-fourteen hand severings involved. Thats about it.

message 26: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Yeah I really like Murtagh too. I mean, way is there whole chapters for Roran starting in Eldest when you barely knew him at all? Murtagh is one of the best characters, and he better not die!

message 27: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Roran is so BORING. ~_~

And about Star Wars...I went through a phase where I was obsessed with it. xD
The first one I saw was Episode 3...in the theatre... and it terrified me. LOL. Actually, that was the first real Sci-Fi movie I'd ever watched! So I do have a special place in my heart for that one. xD But over all, the original three are better.

message 28: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Dovewing wrote: "I think that the books were awesome, and i cannot wait for the fourth one. anyone know some good info about the 4th book?"

theres going to be a 4th book?I know some1 wholl scream and shout and jump and rave when she knows

message 29: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Heh heh, yeah. I was sitting there and I'm like, "NO! HE'S BURNING UP!!!!!"

Sorry, I'm off topic. *whistles and straightens halo*

message 30: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Sometimes it takes be WEEKS to finish A Roran chapter!!! Ahh, they are so annoying! Omg, if Roran is the next Dragon Rider, I will throw the book out the window!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

message 31: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Ditto! He'd be a really lame Rider.. Not that I don't think Eragon is rather lame but...xD

message 32: by Jordan (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:27AM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Jillian wrote: "Do you think we have trouble with the whole "fantasy adventure" scenario because we're girls?"

I don't think so. I will admit that some of the content in the books makes me go "Eeeewww" (*cough that weird cult who hurt themselves and the trial of the knives cough*), but I like other fantasy books. And if you haven't figured it out, I am a girl. :)

I agree about the cliche thing...it seems like Roran is being set up for something big. Maybe he'll die...poor Katrina...
Speaking of Katrina, why is it that Paolini hardly ever uses his background characters? In other books, it seems like the author could write whole books just about the background characters. Whereas Paolini? Probably could not.

message 33: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Yeah. My brother never got through Eldest. I don't blame him.

Me too. I think there was some good potential for character development. Which was ignored...grrr.

I know! I want to hear about Murtagh and Thorn! Give Murtagh a monologue or something...

I can't decide which would be more cliched...Roran or Arya...

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) "(Do you think we have trouble with the whole "fantasy adventure" scenario because we're girls? I don't think so, personally, since I find it hard to believe that boys would find these books especially enjoyable with the hundreds of pages devoted to a whole lot of nothing happening . . . Boys like action and suspense, and the Inheritance books are really lacking in those things since they have to be CONSTANTS in fantasy/adventure.) "

I don't think being a girl makes a bit of difference. Unless someone is the type of stupid silly girl that sequels in gym when the ball comes near her. Then they probably can't appreciate adventure stories.

message 35: by Jordan (last edited Mar 09, 2010 02:46PM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments ^ Hey, I don't like gym, but I still appreciate adventure stories... :P

Also, how does someone sequel?
(Yes, I know you meant squeal :)

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Gah. I hate automatic spellcheck. :/

message 37: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Autocomplete in texting is annoying, and slightly hilarious. So, I feel your pain. :)

Anyways, back to Eragon?

message 38: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Unfortunately, Arwen WAS an elf. -_- I only say it's unfortunate because it just proves what a shameless copier Paolini is. :/

I think the story just should have been about Murtagh rather than Eragon...it would have been so much better!
And the only reason Eragon is an elf/human hybrid is so he can be more "perfect looking" -_- 'Cause Eragon has to be the most "beautiful" 16 year old "man" in the whole world. 0.0 ugh. I'm getting sick. ;P

message 39: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I got that feeling too, that Eragon is Paolini's dream self. xD
If so, it IS terribly sad. Not to mention embarrassing, what with the way Eragon talks/thinks about Arya sometimes.. O.o *"EEWWS" all around*

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) "If so, it IS terribly sad. Not to mention embarrassing, what with the way Eragon talks/thinks about Arya sometimes.. O.o *"EEWWS" all around* "

I mean, if the character is 16 years old, it would be weird if that DIDN'T happen.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) "(I know guys in real life fantasize about fictional female characters all the time, but to write out said ideas and feelings in a novel? That's overstepping a line, in my opinion.)"

The first step in censorship is making said subject taboo.

message 42: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 23, 2010 10:38PM) (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments I loved all three books. I thought they were exciting at least. The Arya thing did make me gag too. ( : I do agree that he copied alot. I havn't actually read LoTR but I know the story plot. I do read classics though and I just didn't recognize the lack of good writing skills in Eragon. Not that I doubt it, I just didn't notice it when I read it, if that makes sense. It could have something to do with the fact that I don't write. But I thought they were a really good read, I am waiting for the last book. Alot of what you say does make sense and would have been good I think, as well.

message 43: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan i am reading eragon right now.i'm on page 368.i love it. i love the world it's in i think about it a lot. i think eragon, the character learns to do things so fast it's a bit unrealistic (like reading).

message 44: by Ayunda (last edited Apr 08, 2010 06:18AM) (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I'd like to read this series someday, but reading your comments, I'm not so sure anymore...

message 45: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments I think you should. Everyone has there own opinion.

message 46: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments you should, and then add your opinion to the mix

message 47: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 975 comments The entire series is amazing but the movie wasn't so great.

message 48: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments The movie was possibly the worst book-to-movie adaptation that I've seen...

message 49: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 975 comments Yeah it was pretty bad.

message 50: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 975 comments They changed the whole story line.

« previous 1