Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sherie's February Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherie (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments Strangers in Death by J.D. Robb (4.5/5) A great battle of wits between Eve Dallas and a cool killer. Not really a whodunit but very entertaining.

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes (4/5) Excellent chick lit. Lots of humor along with a serious message about self-esteem.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (4.5/5) Not quite as good as March but still a fascinating and beautifully written read about a woman who loses everything in a plague ridden town in the 1670s but finds her true self.

The Interrogation by Thomas H. Cook (4/5) Too repetitive as Cook tends to be and with a somewhat unsatisfying ending but still often riveting psychological suspense.

True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman (3.5/5) Better than some recent Delaware novels because it does not feature the now very boring Dr. Delaware it still does not live up to the promise it showed in the beginning. This is a story about two brothers with different fathers, one white, one black, one a cop and one a private detective. Their relationship is interesting but the plot less so. My main problem is that Kellerman's writing style has deteriorated. Can he not write a complete sentence anymore?

The Hunt Club by John Lescroart (4/5) I enjoy Lescroart's take on the Bay Area where I live although this is not his best book in terms of either character development or plot. There are still some good plot twists and surprises.

Life Sentences by Laura Lippman (4/5) I liked the parts of this book better than the whole. I always enjoy Lippman's observations and her use of language but the plot fizzled out with too many loose ends and some of the characters begged for more development.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Thanks Sherie! I've always wanted to try a J.D. Robb (Eve Dallas) book. I need to add it to my list ;)

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Thanks Sherie! I've always wanted to try a J.D. Robb (Eve Dallas) book. I need to add it to my list ;)"

Me,too! I ordered the first 3 on PBS last night. I've read so much about the Roarke character I figure I might as well try the books!

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Careful ladies :) I found this series very addicting! I started with the 1st one in July and read them straight thru January, and then just finshed her 30th one today.

I hightly recommend this series. Some books are stronger than others, but overall I loved this series.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments LizH wrote: "Careful ladies :) I found this series very addicting! I started with the 1st one in July and read them straight thru January, and then just finshed her 30th one today.

I hightly recommend this ..."

Good grief Liz, that is dedication! I stopped at about number 3, but have a few waiting on my TBR.

That Roarke, grrrrrrrrrrrrrowllllllllll!!!

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments That Roarke, grrrrrrrrrrrrrowllllllllll!!!

He's why I keep coming back!! Book, after book, after book!!!!

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I think I need to get caught up with this series again. Maybe I'll pick up the next book after the one I'm reading now. I'm seem to be slowing down this month only 3 books finished so far. ugh.
Too much time online and running out places. Today going to mail. I thought I was taking the Itunes Gift certificate back that will not accept on my itunes but I gave it a last try this morning with writing down each number I put in and finally got it right. It's so hard to see and figure out the codes. But finally got it. So only going for sephora then coming home and to read.