The Sword and Laser discussion

Discussion leaders?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1673 comments Mod
One of the features of Goodreads is the ability to assign discussion leaders for certain books. I thought sometimes it could be me or Tom, but other times perhaps one of you would like to lead the forum discussions!

What do you guys think? Does anyone want to be the discussion lead on The Wind-Up Girl?

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Perez (raging3vil) | 8 comments I would probably be more interested for a different book. I'm way too behind to volunteer to lead the discussion for our current book.

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments If it's a book I've read before (and remember relatively well), sure.

message 4: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I think that could work well. I don't think I'd want to do it for The Wind-Up Girl (even though I'm sure I'll start some related posts), but it's highly likely there'll be future discussions I'd be interested in leading.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments I dunno. I think different people notice different things, and I like it being a group effort. It already feels like we've had way more discussion just by virtue of moving to a different platform!

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments I'm not reading TWG, but I think in general the way we've done it before, with people starting new discussion threads as they think of them (and not "relying" on a discussion leader to do so) worked pretty well. Maybe for each book, there can be a prefix for easy finding? For The Windup Girl, it could be TWG: [title:] or something. Of course, that shouldn't preclude discussion leaders...if someone really wants to spearhead lots of topics, it shouldn't stop them...

message 7: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Oh, totally, I wasn't imagining the discussion leader being the only one starting topics - I think everyone should feel encouraged to do that. But a discussion leader could be useful if discussion of a particular book is flagging, or if it's someone who has a special interest in the book (maybe they've done a lot of reading about the book).

On the other hand, maybe a discussion leader would be a superfluous role if activity level is high anyway...

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1673 comments Mod
Jlawrence wrote: "Oh, totally, I wasn't imagining the discussion leader being the only one starting topics - I think everyone should feel encouraged to do that. But a discussion leader could be useful if discussion..."

Totally agree. Everyone can start topics whenever they choose, but the leader would just help to get the ball rolling if things get stagnant.