Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > Ever shop at Half Price Books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
I just learned that Half Price Books http://www.halfpricebooks.com/ will be opening a store this summer nearby and that they buy as well as sell. Anybody every shopped at these stores? Care to share what you think of them? Thanks.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 25 comments The HPB in Phoenix is my favorite UBS. From what I hear they vary widely...not sure whether they are corporate owned or franchised but either way the local mgt seems to have a lot of say in how they are run. My favorite feature of the Phoenix one is they have a bargain section where you can get some pretty recent selections for $1-$3.

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Yes!! I go on a regular basis to 5 of them in my area, with my favorite one being the large one in Dallas! Time flies when I'm there and before I know it hours have passed. Enjoy your new store.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth HPB can be a great place to pick up books, a lot of their selection depends on what gets sold to them, so it will also tell you what sort of a reading community you live in. It is also a great place to pick up used DVDs.

They are good about buying books, but you'll get a better offer (per book) if you bring in 1-2 boxes at a time (as opposed to 5-7 boxes, I'm not really sure about bringing in fewer books).

message 5: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco I am planning a trip to a different HPB store than the one I usually visit. I have several books that I plan to trade for some new books. I love to visit book stores and, of course, buy books. We have B&N, Borders, HPB, Book Loft and several other book stores in my Columbus, Ohio area. I also buy from Amazon, B&N, Abebooks and Overstock.com.

message 6: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Hot damn Rosalie, overstock.com sells books! Oh this could be a very bad thing for me!!!!

message 7: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco We went to Half-priced books today. I sold them a dozen of my books for $7.50. Then bought 2 for 10.00
I guess that is why my checking acct is going down. I found THE REBEL PRINCESS by Judith Koll Healey and MOTHER OF PEARL by Melinda Haynes. (Oprah Book Club)
I just received 4 books yesterday from Amazon and tomorrow BN should deliver another book.

message 8: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco Thanks to HPB my husband is becoming a reader (finally)! We have been turning off the tv in the evenings and reading with soft music in th background. It has been marvelous. He never read books for pleasure while growing up - nor did his parents read. I have always been an avid reader, as my parents were. Now he and I can spend a lovely evening reading and just being together. We have been married 45 years.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Rosalie wrote: "Thanks to HPB my husband is becoming a reader (finally)! We have been turning off the tv in the evenings and reading with soft music in th background. It has been marvelous. He never read books for..."

Rosalie, that is so sweet and wonderful to hear! Lucky you. :-)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Adkins (heathermarieadkins) | 4 comments I don't sell to them because to get any sort of money it needs to be a newer book or a bestseller, but I think I spend enough money in their stores to single handedly own one! This week has been their Spring coupon sale for people on their email list. I've bought about thirty books so far between the two stores in my town. I think everyone should have a half price!

message 11: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 43 comments I haven't been in a while because now I do a pilgrimage to Powell's once a year and sell my books there. But you can sometimes find hard to find books there.

I also think their inventory tends to reflect what's popular in your region. For example, the HalfPrice near where I live tends to have a largeish sci-fi/fantasy section because that's a popular genre in my area.

Generally speaking you probably won't get much for any of the books you sell but anything helps, right?

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Schnaucl wrote: "Generally speaking you probably won't get much for any of the books you sell but anything helps, right? ..."

It's true, every cent counts, but in my case it doesn't really matter. I very seldom sell books I have bought. I consider myself a chronic rereader. One main reason I buy a book is so I can read it anytime I want, I don't have to wait for the public library to be open or for a library hold to come in.