Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Mr. Darcy vs. Jamie Fraser

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments This is a bit off topic, but since my man Colin Firth is up for an Oscar on Sunday (I love, love, LOVE him), I thought I would put out a little poll and see who you ladies prefer: Mr. Darcy (the Jane Austen Mr. Darcy, NOT the Bridget Jones's Diary Mr. Darcy) or Jamie Fraser.

Many women think that Mr. Darcy is the best literary hero EVER (I've read this, I swear), but I'd like to know how he would come out against our own lovely Mr. Fraser.

Let the games begin. And please, if you give your opinion, please give a reason why you feel this way. I'd really like to know!

message 2: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Jamie Fraser all the way, for me! I must admit I liked Mr.Darcy but he was not the complete package... I liked him, but I LOVE Jamie. I like the warrior in him and just love his spirit - he's got just a streak of badness which I like. To me, Jamie has it all. He is the right mix, plus he's big 'n tall (which I LOVE) and I just like his general nature, soft heart and his integrity. Mr.Darcy is a good romantic hero, admittedly, just lacks that little bit of something for me...

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments How can you compare the two!?! LOL.

Mr. Darcy will always be my first love. But I do so love Jamie. I do also really love Alexander Belov (The Bronze Horseman. He is a close second behind Jamie)... I can't pick one over the other...

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i like them both by for different reasons...they aren't comparable...but def. love me some colin firth!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Let's put it this way:

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy is my husband. He offers the comfort of a loving, respectable husband who has admirable qualities that will stand the test of time. He's very clean, quite reserved, has a dry sense of humour though he’s not very forthcoming with conversation, but he's reliable and I know he'll always provide me with a great love and safe home life.

Mr. James Fraser is my lover. He doesn't offer himself as a respectable man; he's always on the run for one thing or another...but he adds excitement and amazing sex to my life. He's big and strong, not necessarily always neatly attired and has a terrific sense of humour. He makes young and old women alike blush like school girls. I know that he’ll always defend me with his life and although when I’m with him it may be in a cave or hovel or mud bog, he makes me forget because he’s just so fantastic.

So as you can see, I love both Mr. Darcy and Mr. Fraser. Mr. Darcy has been with me since early adolescence whereas Mr. Fraser has been with me since mid-twenties. My love for them is equal, just aimed in different directions!!

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments Well said Heather! Love your post!

message 7: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments Awesome, Heather! And you're right--they are two different men who serve different purposes. And thank goodness they do!!!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Thanks ladies. This was a great topic, Scare!

message 9: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Lmao... Trust Heather to post something witty, and genius. Bravo..

Oh and P.S... I am guilty of having never reading Price and Prejudice... So I can't compare.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Dude, you're missing out. It's one of the greatest love stories ever written.

message 11: by Scare (last edited Mar 06, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Scare | 30 comments And if you don't want to read it, Shell, then I suggest renting (or buying) the 1995 BBC version of the movie. To me, Colin Firth is the ultimate Mr. Darcy and the BBC version is really true to the book.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell, if you have VHS, I have the box set. It's my annual Christmas addiction.

message 13: by Mishelle (last edited Mar 06, 2010 10:44AM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Heather wrote: "Shell, if you have VHS, I have the box set. It's my annual Christmas addiction."

HAHAHAHAH... Who has VHS??? lol... Sorry couldn't resist being a jack ass... I haven't seen that one, I watched the one with Keira Knightly... Wasn't overly impressed.. But I do want to read it, just find it a little daunting... Not sure why.

Maybe I should just come over to your house to watch it...:) Junk Food + Mr Darcy+ Your Couch = good times

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments Shell wrote: "Lmao... Trust Heather to post something witty, and genius. Bravo..

Oh and P.S... I am guilty of having never reading Price and Prejudice... So I can't compare."

You must try and read the book sometime Shell, one of my favorites! :)

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i have both the BBC and the kiera knightly version - the BBC one rules - I think i got it from columbia house, but i'm pretty sure amazon has it as well...if anyone wants to borrow it, i might be able ti dig it out the box it currently resides in (i just moved and still unpacking)

message 16: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments It took me a long time to see the 2005/Kiera Knightly version. I just couldn't listen to those Mr. Darcy lines coming out of someone else's mouth. It just fell flat for me.

message 17: by ChristinaRae (last edited Mar 06, 2010 08:35PM) (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Mr. Darcy is actually pretty smokin' for a repressed English aristocrat of the Empire period, but Jaime is the for-all-time noble-warrior-hero-poet.
I think DG once said something to the effect of women like to watch [or read about:] men in battle because then they know who to have babies with (the tough ones, obviously) and I just don't think we'll ever overcome THAT bit of biology.

The short answer is JAMIE!!!!!!

And just to play Devil's advocate, Heather, I'll ask why wouldn't you want a husband who was both a lover and a good partner? I think that's what Jamie is, no? :)

message 18: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments Ha! Very true ChristinaRae.

So, Heather, lets hear it... :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Who is Mr Darcy .. ??

message 20: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments The hero from Pride and Prejudice.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments it took me forever as well...i have it on DVD and i think in the end i watched it on tv...yeah, he's not colin firth, but he still did a passable job...it was a lot more condensed than the BBC version as well!

Scare wrote: "It took me a long time to see the 2005/Kiera Knightly version. I just couldn't listen to those Mr. Darcy lines coming out of someone else's mouth. It just fell flat for me."

message 22: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments Deanna wrote: "it took me forever as well...i have it on DVD and i think in the end i watched it on tv...yeah, he's not colin firth, but he still did a passable job...it was a lot more condensed than the BBC vers..."

I'll go with passable! To me, the best part was towards the end where he is walking towards her as the sun rises. That sort of made up for the fact that CF wasn't in the movie :)

message 23: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Mr. Darcy is actually pretty smokin' for a repressed English aristocrat of the Empire period, but Jaime is the for-all-time noble-warrior-hero-poet.
I think DG once said something to the effect ..."

So true, ChristinaRae! Exactly how I feel... I love the warrior type, but when one also has the tender, loving qualities that Jamie has... it's over for me! He is the best of both worlds - lover & husband all wrapped in beautiful package!!! I think Jamie does have what Mr.Darcy has, and also the warrior spirit - which is why he is hands down the winner for me. I've totally been spoiled by Jamie…

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Oh I have to go with Mr Darcy 2005. I could watch the rain scene over and over a thousand times. When Mr. Darcy says "I love you most ardently" I melt.
Colin Firth was just okay for me he doesn't come across as passionate and whoever the woman that plays Elizabeth I did not like her at all.

I must confess I haven't read P&P so I can not compare Jamie to Mr. Darcy.
P&P is on my TBR list and I hope to get to it by the summer.

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments Kelly wrote: "Oh I have to go with Mr Darcy 2005. I could watch the rain scene over and over a thousand times. When Mr. Darcy says "I love you most ardently" I melt.
Colin Firth was just okay for me he doesn..."

That is one of my favorite scenes too! Also, the one where he comes across the misty/foggy field after Elizabeth has fought with his aunt. I also loved her on the rock cliff, so pretty. I think that is right before Jane comes back from London with her aunt and uncle.

I like the version with Kiera Knightly, hated the BBC version.

message 26: by Fiona (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:24AM) (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments ok so if i had the 2 of them stood infront of me i'm sorry to say ladies but JAMIE FRASER WINS!!!!!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with Mr D'Arcy you understand but, oh Jamie, butterflies in belly & jelly legs just thinking about him. Gonna have to stay with ma roots i'm affraid & have my Jacobite warrior right there up at the top, just like the cream in a mikl bottle.

Mr D'Arcy is, i will admitt, yummy but no where near rough & tumble, ready & willing enough for me unlike Oor Jamie, i like em rough round the edges & firey.

message 27: by EvaS (last edited Mar 08, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Fiona wrote: "ok so if i had the 2 of them stood infront of me i'm sorry to say ladies but JAMIE FRASER WINS!!!!!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with Mr D'Arcy you understand but, oh Jamie, butterflies i..."

Exactly!!!!

message 28: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Kelly wrote: "Oh I have to go with Mr Darcy 2005. I could watch the rain scene over and over a thousand times. When Mr. Darcy says "I love you most ardently" I melt.
Colin Firth was just okay for me he doesn..."

I also liked the 2005 version (just can't get into Colin Firth).
The scene where he comes across the field . . . ooooo, it gives me shivers.

Another Austen hero I liked was Captain whats-his-name (?) from Persuasion. He was less stuffy and I liked that the characters were older (30's vs. 20's)

message 29: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Oh I have to go with Mr Darcy 2005. I could watch the rain scene over and over a thousand times. When Mr. Darcy says "I love you most ardently" I melt.
Colin Firth was just okay ..."

Captain Wentworth :)

message 30: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Thank you. :) Yes, I liked him. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. Northhanger Abby was fun too, in a laughing-at-myself-at-age-15 kind of way.

message 31: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments Loved Persuasion and NA. Jane Austen creates such amazing male characters!

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Thank you. :) Yes, I liked him. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. Northhanger Abby was fun too, in a laughing-at-myself-at-age-15 kind of way."

I've always loved Sense and Sensibility and think Marianne and Colonel Brandon are perfect I never cared for Willoughby!!!
I am refering to the movie.

message 33: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 236 comments Me too Kelly! I am also glad that Marianne does grow up and fall in love with Colonel Brandon. The book is great too!

message 34: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments LOVE Colonel Brandon. In the movie, when he watches Marianne sing for the first time, I think my heart skipped a beat :)

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Heather wrote: "Shell, if you have VHS, I have the box set. It's my annual Christmas addiction."

HAHAHAHAH... Who has VHS??? lol... Sorry couldn't resist being a jack ass... I haven't seen that..."

Keira Knightly really had no business playing Elizabeth Bennet, just sayin.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Heather wrote: "Shell, if you have VHS, I have the box set. It's my annual Christmas addiction."

HAHAHAHAH... Who has VHS??? lol... Sorry couldn't resist being a jack ass... I haven't seen that..."

Sounds like a plan because....I DO HAVE VHS!!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Sorry, just read all the comments on here:

I didn't say that Jamie wasn’t “both a lover and a good partner”, at all. The point that I thought I made was that life with Jamie is precarious at best, whereas that with Mr. Darcy would always be comfortable. I was trying to be funny and entertaining for everyone, but apparently that wasn’t received very well.

I placed Jamie in the position of lover because I find him so exciting, not because I was trying to insult his “fictitious” character. My point was that regardless of where he had me...that would be it exactly, he would have me.

Possibly I’m over-sensitive, or just tired of having all my comments debated; I thought a book club was about sharing thoughts and opinions, whether light-hearted or philosophical. I don’t always want to be philosophical; I want to enjoy talking about what I read without feeling like my comments are being assessed and continually coming up short.

Because of that, I’ve decided to leave this group. I’ve loved everyone’s comments on the greatest series that I’ve ever read and I’ll miss reading them, but I’m a bit too old to have to feel insecure about myself.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Heather wrote: "Sorry, just read all the comments on here:

I didn't say that Jamie wasn’t “both a lover and a good partner”, at all. The point that I thought I made was that life with Jamie is precarious at be..."

Oh Heather :-( I think your comment was great. Don't go!

message 39: by Judy (new)

Judy | 13 comments I'm with Heather. Well put!

message 40: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Heather wrote: "Sorry, just read all the comments on here:

I didn't say that Jamie wasn’t “both a lover and a good partner”, at all. The point that I thought I made was that life with Jamie is precarious at be..."

Noooooooo... don't go!! I LOVE your posts, opinions & insight!
I just reread the entire string on posts ... and I thing your opinions ARE well received. We may debate your posts because you have great points and I love the way you write. I'm sorry to hear that some things made you feel uncomfortable or judged... I am sure that was not anyone’s intent.

message 41: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 66 comments Heather wrote: "Sorry, just read all the comments on here:

Aww, Heather, don't let the immature comments get you down. I can't believe sometimes I am reading these comments everyday, but it is fun. I certainly don't agree with a lot, but guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion (even if it is wrong, hee, hee)
For instance I haven't see the movie version of P & P but I think the BBC version is absolutely tops. Colin Firth is perfect as the brooding Mr. Darcy who is actually rather shy. Still waters run deep! So if someone doesn't care for Colin Firth, I imagine I would not care for the other one in the movie.

I just love the Outlander series and it is fun that others have read and reread them.

message 42: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Wow, Heather. Your resignation was competely surprising to me.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you took my comment as angry or critical; I did find your statements clever and entertaining, as I have your other comments.

My 'vision' of a book club is a place to ask questions to provoke thought and stimulate conversation, as well as share. My intent was and is to ask questions in order to hear your thoughts, not to make personal attacks, but I suppose that my intentions got lost without the benefit of tone or inflection.

I am sorry that your experience has been negative and that you feel like you need to leave because I think your originality and inventiveness has added a lot to this group.

message 43: by Dougie (new)

Dougie | 19 comments My wife and I haved just been to see Pride and Prejudice at the Severn Theatre, Shrewsbury (England). It was an excellent production, with the delectable Susan Hampshire taking the part of Mrs Bennet, whose only purpose in life is to marry off her five daughters to appropriate husbands. Mr Darcy, played by Nicholas Taylor,is undoubtedly an exceptionally romantic character, or so I was assured by several women during the interval, but with his shocking bad manners and overpowering self-love, he he can hardly be compared to Jamie Fraser. Set the pair of them head-to-head with claymores in their hands and there is only one winner. Sorry Elizabeth Bennet, you married the wrong man!