Military Science Fiction discussion

Starfire

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments This book was a whole lot of fun to read.

I didn't realize until after I had started it that it was the second in a series, but this book did quite well as a stand-alone; the plot was not dependent on the previous book, and the story concluded with this book.

Most of the combat in this book was Naval (ship-to-ship) in nature, even though there was quite a bit of ground combat. The authors did an excellent job of showing how Naval and ground action come together to form a combined strategy.

A lot of the book dealt with the politics of war. Specifically the hard choices required when dealing with an enemy who, for religious reasons, really believe that they have a sacred duty to make war on you, and to conquer you in the name of their faith.

Now you're thinking that this book is a commentary on the current War on Terror. That's what I thought too, until I looked at the date and was surprised to see that it was published in the 1990's. Weber and White were apparently rather prescient.

Anyway, read the book; you'll like it. I certainly did.

message 2: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 29 comments Crusade David Weber

Is this the same technology as in the Honor Harrington series or has he created something different? I usually try to read most of what he writes but the missle count has been getting too high for me lately.

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments Patricrk wrote: "Crusade - David Weber

Is this the same technology as in the Honor Harrington series or has he created something different? I usually try to read most of what he ..."

I have not read any of the Honor Harrington series; this was my first David Weber book.
So I don't know exactly what technology you are refering to.

But to summarize the technology: interstellar travel is accomplished by using fixed "warp points" which are similar to Star Trek-style wormholes. No explanation is offered as to the origins of the warp points.

For weapons technology, the ships used missiles for long-range combat, and lasers for short-range.

Don't know how that compares to other Weber books.

message 4: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 29 comments sounds very similar. Thanks.

message 5: by Nashoa (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:28PM) (new)

Nashoa | 3 comments Patricrk wrote: "
Is this the same technology as in the Honor Harrington series or has he created something different? I usually try to read most of what he ..."

The tech is the same idea long range missiles duels but they are contact explosions vs. the missile pumped lasers in HH series. Much of the rest of the tech is also quite different. It's different enough to be interesting compared to Harrington.

Crusade is actually the first of the series. But I don't think it was the first released. Time wise it goes
Crusade > In Death Ground + The Shiva Option > Insurrection > A new one, with out Weber.

message 6: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 29 comments Nashoa wrote: "Patricrk wrote: "
The tech is the same idea long ran..."
Thanks, I"ll try to get hold of it then.

message 7: by Troy (new)

Troy G (tag8833) | 1 comments The tech in the Starfire books is a bit more flexible than the Honor series. Breakthroughs happen in the course of the novels.

This is a great book because it offers tactics and strategy. Also, the subtle decision to use fixed warp points as a method for navigation provided such an interesting twist to Military SF. Now there is a defensible choke point. Now there is reason to maneuver in open space at sub-light speeds. Now there are complex supply chains and lines of communication.

That little mechanism for how the world works practically ruined me for all other military Sci Fi.

message 8: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments Over the weekend I finished Insurrection by David Weber and Steve White.

Chronologically, Insurrection takes place after Crusade, but the two books were published in the reverse order.

I really liked this book.

This book takes place a very long time after Crusade, so the two books have no characters in common. Some of the main characters from Crusade are mentioned, but only as historical figures.

Like Crusade, this book spends a lot of time on the politics of war, and on the political factors that can cause nations to go to war. Unlike Crusade, this war, and the politics that surround it, are not religious in nature, but political and economic.

Unlike Crusade, this book focuses a lot on the deep soul-searching required of the individual characters when deciding where their loyalties lie. And, in the case of the two main characters, on their struggles not to allow hatred of the enemy to influence their judgement.

Another difference is that this book features no infantry action; all the combat in this book is ship-based.

The bottom line: I really liked this book, and I recommend it to military SF fans. More specifically, if you like LT Leary, or Dread Empire's Fall, you will probably like this.

message 9: by Piotr (new)

Piotr Mierzejewski | 2 comments I found the series pretty awesome, and much better than the Leary series. My only gripe, no more was written.

message 10: by Edmond (new)

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 2 comments As far as I know the series started life as a table top wargame. I've read most of them but I'd say that Insurrection, which covers a human interstellar civil war is the best of the lot. The setting is interesting in that the starships themselves don't have any kind of FTL drive. Instead there are naturally occurring 'Warp Points' that instantly transport a ship from one star system to another. This means that there are broadly speaking two kinds of warships ones for fighting in open space with long range weapons and those for Warp Point assaults and are armed for the starship equivalent of knife fighting.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crusade (other topics)
Insurrection (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Weber (other topics)