Hard SF discussion

Member Chat > Free Benford story at Tor

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments Hi:
Tor has Gregory Benford's story "The Final Now" online free at:
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=c...

You can:
* Read it on their site
* Download it in PDF, Mobi, HTML or EPUB
* Listen to it streaming
* Download in MP3

David

message 2: by David (new)

David (bodam) | 43 comments Mod
Thank you......Downloaded to my Kindle!

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments downloaded for my PSP!

message 4: by Username, SF Techgod (last edited Mar 17, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Username (usernameiv) | 56 comments Mod
I didn't like the story. I'm usually excited about Benford, he writes hard-ish sf but this turned out to be some kind of new-agey pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo... sad.

message 5: by David (new)

David (bodam) | 43 comments Mod
He just finished reading it and after consulting with She decided that We didn't like it either!

message 6: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments I donwloaded it to the psp only to find out that the browser doesn't open files!

message 7: by Abbey (last edited Jun 11, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

Abbey (thehappybooker) | 2 comments I downloaded it as a moby file and read it on my Kindle-for-PC. I read and re-read it carefully. Unique, that's for sure. Also absurd but oddly compelling. I respect Benford for novels like "Cosm," but he has a tendency to get in over his head when trying to express philosophical/religious ideas. I have a fairly substantial grounding in religious philosophy, so the whole thing struck me as a valiant attempt at fusing sci fi with poetic imagery to express the ineffability of the infinite. Or it was bullshit. One of the two.

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments I enjoyed Cosm,good book. Not read this story yet as my devices aren't compatible.

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 13 comments Looks like this will not be the first book I read on my new Kindle, due in about 2 weeks!

message 10: by Larry (last edited Aug 29, 2010 02:25AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments I read this last night on my sony reader-didnt enjoy it really, very hard to read!